Cold air intake???

j_rok-84

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all I have an idea that I wanna try out but before I start I wanted to post this to see what everyone thinks...I welcome any comments good and bad I just wanna get as much info as possible before I proceed.

So here is my idea...I want to either modify the stock air box to fit an intake tube that connects to the back of the air box and leads to under the seat into the storage compartment which will house a cone k&n type filter to create a cold air intake...or completely remove the stock air box and fabricate an intake manifold that does the same thing.

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried this before. I know I saw a post on a turbo fz6 that modified the stock air box and also there is a picture on here somewhere of another turbo fz with an intake manifold. I think it's possible to do this mod but there maybe something I am missing. So please any advice would be helpful. I would really like to hear what you guys have to say about this and any tips or pointers. But this could solve the "not enough room under the tank for ram air induction" problem that we all have. I love to mod and do my own work so please reply to this post guys!

j_rok-84

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok 16 people have viewed this post and not one of you replied? Come on guys I have seen some really pointless posts on this site and people reply to them all the time! There has to be somebody out there that has an opinion or so e insight on this subject...

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok 16 people have viewed this post and not one of you replied? Come on guys I have seen some really pointless posts on this site and people reply to them all the time! There has to be somebody out there that has an opinion or so e insight on this subject...

Sorry about us not getting back to you right away... I for one was sleeping.... I am sure this kept you up all night seeing how important this is to you.... Speaking of pointless posts.... Yawn.... Seriously, is this that urgent? And why would you want to do this in the first place anyway?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on not get any initial responses due to the hour you posted...

Anywho, the stock air filter has a fairly large surface area. I don't believe there's enough room in the area behind the TB's to get much larger than that.. A ram air as noted above would be great except again, room is limited.

Some have modded the air box for more air flow(do a search, I'm not really famialiar with that mod) but at the expense of more noise.

Perhaps a combination of modding the box (more, larger holes) but with some smooth ducting to get cool air into it (NOT from under the tank where hot engine air is) ducted maybe to the outer part of the bike or somewhere fairly close there's cooler air. Of course, too much ducting will defeat the purpose but with the stock opening and the added ducts should help.

Please note, there should be an intake air temp sensor which I have to assume sends signals to the ECU so it can make appropriate adjustments as needed... IMO, I'd keep that in place..

Last edited:

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
I think that the power gained is not worth the work and expense that would go into making it. Better off working on handling, comfort and how you ride if you need more power. If all that doesn't do it for you I'm going to say what everyone else does. Buy an r6 they already have it and have more power straight way.

j_rok-84

Reaction score
Visit site
Not looking to gain more power. I think the fazer already has enough power. Like I said I love to mod so that is why I'm trying it. I am going to make an intake manifold because I looked to stock air box over and modding it isn't an option. I know I could cut a bigger hole in the front but that's not really what I'm going for. And if I wanted an r6 I woulda bought an r6 in the first place. When I finish this project I will post pics so you guys can see what I'm talkin about. Here is a pic from another post so that maybe you can understand how I want the intake to look only the pipe stops in the storage compartment and there is a cone filter attached.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
That intake has a purpose, its made to be strong for the turbo, plus that's pretty much the only direction you could put a turbo. So I guess what everyone is saying is whats the purpose/point? It's hidden so it can't be for looks, it's liable to actually loose some power since the air will most likely be hotter being that close to the exhaust and going opposite of the flow of air, so I'm wondering what's the point?

For one I'm all about "modding" and I'm normally one of the 1st folks to tell the "go buy a r6" people to sit down, If I want your opinion ill give it to you. But this just seems like a waste of time to me, I'm 99% sure that the intake air temps will rise if you route the intake that way, plus you would also be restricting it vs the stock air box, so I am clueless.

I'm not purposefully trying to be a dick, I just don't beat around the bush, and call it like I see it, trying to help you understand why this is pointless.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One thing to be careful of is flow inside the airbox, The even distribution of intake air is largely governed by the shape of the intake tract. If you don't believe me just look up some auto tuning sites and see what happens when kids make 'cool' modifications to the intake.

This is not a cosmetic upgrade. If it ain't broke....it don't need fixin'.

j_rok-84

Reaction score
Visit site
Chevyfazer, thanks for the input. To answer your questions:
Have you ever heard a car with a cold air intake? It sounds bad ass. And most cars redline way before our bikes so i think it will sound amazing! That's the why...next I have side exit exhaust on my bike so no worries there and lastly I plan to duct air flow to the storage box by putting vents in the side pieces in the the seat. Like I said you guys will see when I have finished.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had ram air systems before and they are great, however I know bugger all about the technical side of things. Don't be disheartened by the lack of responses. I bet there are tons of people in the same boat as me who are watching this thread with great interest.
Good luck with the mod, I am looking forward to it.

Neil

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If sound is all your looking for do the air box mod, people were getting that sound way before cold air intakes. Ever seen a old school v8 with the air filter lid turned upside down so its not sealed off? It's not the pipe that creates the sound its the restrictions in the intake tract.

By all means if your dead set on it go for it, but if you don't plan on running some sort of forced induction a intake manifold is going to create lots of problems

j_rok-84

Reaction score
Visit site
Why do you say it will cause problems? That's why I posted this for people to tell what I would be getting into. I wanna know the pros and cons. And I know all about the air box mod but I wanted something to make my bike different than all the rest ya know? Sorry for being creative I guess...

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
The problems that I personally see it creating would be uneven air distribution (unless you plan on forcing air in) most likely your inner cylinder would run lean, and the out side run rich. That might not be the case but it seems very likely.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Originally Posted by ChevyFazer
"I'm not purposefully trying to be a dick, I just don't beat around the bush"

My minds in the gutter, LOL:spank:

To the op, the FZ has 4 separate throttle bodies as you know. Most cars have ONE large TB. So even if you screw up the a/F mixture going into one throttle body fine.

For the FZ, say the outside cylinders (1 & 4) lean out as the individual runners (its not an intake manifold BTW, the intake is already under the throttle bodies and bolt to the head) don't get enough fuel, etc from having different lenth runners it'll definitly hurt performance and possible damage an engine, that's a worse case scenerio. That's my opinion and apparently Chevy's as well however I may be wrong..

Good luck....

Last edited: