Ecu tampering???

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I have a friend that owns a dyno (Mustang dyno). I had a discussion with him and he told me that if we can connect to the ecu and make misc changes then he can tune my bike. Anyone with any experience with the stock ecu or where the fuse is to connect to it???
i just want to save money from buying power commander e.t.c.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I have a friend that owns a dyno (Mustang dyno). I had a discussion with him and he told me that if we can connect to the ecu and make misc changes then he can tune my bike. Anyone with any experience with the stock ecu or where the fuse is to connect to it???
i just want to save money from buying power commander e.t.c.

There is a company (do a search) that can re-flash the stock ECU but you have to send it off and its not cheap. I haven't heard anyone, changing the perimeters themselves to the ECU.

Yes, its the same idea, but the re-programmers for cars are common out there, the bikes, not so (to my knowledge).. Cars also have a diagnostic port for a re-program/diagnoses, the FZ does not (again to my knowledge).

Personally, I'm not a fan of any Power Commander but its map can be changed to your liking and it can always be removed should you wish.

Last edited:

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
Well as i told you i have a friend that can reflash it for me, so no need to pay a lot. On cars there is a fuse that you connect the computer on and with software you get a lot of readings. i am asking if there is such a thing on the bike so we can try to connect and see what reading we are getting

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well as i told you i have a friend that can reflash it for me, so no need to pay a lot. On cars there is a fuse that you connect the computer on and with software you get a lot of readings. i am asking if there is such a thing on the bike so we can try to connect and see what reading we are getting

On most cars, you don't connect to a fuse, you plug in to the diagnostic port(usually located under the dash by the driver).

I know there are some differences between the US bikes and the European bikes(immobilizer, etc) however I haven't ever seen (or read) of a diagnostic port for ANY FZ6..

PM me with your e-mail address and I'll forward you the Yamaha shop manual as a PDF file. If you can find a diagnostic port go for it.

Good luck re-flashing, please post your results.:thumbup:

Last edited:

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
On most cars, you don't connect to a fuse, you plug in to the diagnostic port(usually located under the dash by the driver).

I know there are some differences between the US bikes and the European bikes(immobilizer, etc) however I haven't ever seen (or read) of a diagnostic port for ANY FZ6..

PM me with your e-mail address and I'll forward you the Yamaha shop manual as a PDF file. If you can find a diagnostic port go for it.

Good luck re-flashing, please post your results.:thumbup:

This ^^

Without the correct connecter for the FZ6 ECU with the correct machine / tool to reflash i dont think its going to happen thats why they can charge so much for bikes to be re-flashed.

Cars are very common as TownsendsFJR1300 mentoned and can be plugged in anywhere with a portable diagnostic tool and changed on the spot.

I think its either gonna have to be a power commander or a proper re-flash

Again i could also be wrong

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I am tuning my Subaru all the time and you are forgetting an important part...reflashing is EASY....it is figuring out what to flash that is hard. Lean out the mixture too much and bang...detonation, pistons, etc. Advancing the timing for higher cylinder pressures? Too much advance and bang again! This is complicated by the fact that there are no input sensors to monitor progress...O2 for exhaust chemistry, knock sensor for detonation.

I am sure these tuners make small adjustments to these settings but remain cautious about approaching the thresholds for danger.

So make sure that when you do get in there you proceed with experience and caution. At 10k plus RPM things happen REALLY fast......especially bad things.

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
I am tuning my Subaru all the time and you are forgetting an important part...reflashing is EASY....it is figuring out what to flash that is hard. Lean out the mixture too much and bang...detonation, pistons, etc. Advancing the timing for higher cylinder pressures? Too much advance and bang again! This is complicated by the fact that there are no input sensors to monitor progress...O2 for exhaust chemistry, knock sensor for detonation.

I am sure these tuners make small adjustments to these settings but remain cautious about approaching the thresholds for danger.

So make sure that when you do get in there you proceed with experience and caution. At 10k plus RPM things happen REALLY fast......especially bad things.

Believe me i know what a small mistake can do.Anyway my friend is experienced on this (he is a tuner after-all) and has everything, so its not me just playing around hoping to find the correct mixture and the tune will be done on dyno with afr meter e.t.c. I just hope i can find a way to get into the ecu and see what is going on. BTW is there anything else similar to pc ???

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Believe me i know what a small mistake can do.Anyway my friend is experienced on this (he is a tuner after-all) and has everything, so its not me just playing around hoping to find the correct mixture and the tune will be done on dyno with afr meter e.t.c. I just hope i can find a way to get into the ecu and see what is going on. BTW is there anything else similar to pc ???

I think the issue your going to have VS tuning a car thru a diagnostic port is that you'll have to remove the ECU, change what values / #'s you want, then re-assemble the bike and dyno run it.

You WON'T be able to change anything while the ECU is on the fly/bike running, etc unless the ECU is removed (as there is no diagnostic port)...

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the issue your going to have VS tuning a car thru a diagnostic port is that you'll have to remove the ECU, change what values / #'s you want, then re-assemble the bike and dyno run it.

You WON'T be able to change anything while the ECU is on the fly/bike running, etc unless the ECU is removed (as there is no diagnostic port)...

So my best option here is to buy a pc right???
I just don't want to get into the process of buying one as i hear from a lot of people that with the pc the bike start to act "crazy". I dont want to change exhaust e.t.c (maybe just a K&N filter), just want to get as much juice i can as stock as it is. main thing i want to fix is the power "hung" the bike has at the last ~500 rpms + the on/off throttle. Before you start asking about the power "hung" you will notice that the bike acts way better if you change gear at around 13200rpms rather than 13900 rpms. Seams there is a drop at HP at last rpms

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
the PC will allow you the doorway into the ecu.... my SCT is the gateway into the obdII port on my Mustang. Otherwise you will have to take the ecu out to change the values (like mentioned)
just get a PC and load a custom map onto it.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Diablo needs to get into the bike scene! I had a predator for my 07 silverado and it was insane all the stuff you could mess with, I could adjust a few settings on idle and timing and that little 4.8 would sit there and rumble like a old dz302 w/a massive cam, record info on the fly, pretty much do everything a laptop tuner could do but in the palm of you hand!

To the op I know that bit of useless info don't help but if your buddy has a dyno and you don't wanna spend money unlock the CO adjustments, its not as good as a full tune but better than nothing. https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...wQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNHCFRSphWGts6OE5OA65yPivo2eKw

https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...IoADAA&usg=AFQjCNHc_t2OdBX6YF76aSDuq6cQ3ID4hA

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
Diablo needs to get into the bike scene! I had a predator for my 07 silverado and it was insane all the stuff you could mess with, I could adjust a few settings on idle and timing and that little 4.8 would sit there and rumble like a old dz302 w/a massive cam, record info on the fly, pretty much do everything a laptop tuner could do but in the palm of you hand!

To the op I know that bit of useless info don't help but if your buddy has a dyno and you don't wanna spend money unlock the CO adjustments, its not as good as a full tune but better than nothing. https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...wQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNHCFRSphWGts6OE5OA65yPivo2eKw

https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...IoADAA&usg=AFQjCNHc_t2OdBX6YF76aSDuq6cQ3ID4hA

I dont think i need to unlock CO adjustements as mine is EU and not us model. I will try it and see the results.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Re: Ecu tampering???

I believe ONLY the US models are locked, yours should be accessable without any mods..

Correct.

The main ECU reflash company is ECunleased. Yamaha ECUs are locked down vs. Suzuki ECU.

I had them flash my FZ1, night and day difference, for the way better.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it will cost me more to remove my ECU ship it to ECUnleashed and tune rather that buy a pc and tune it on dyno

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Re: Ecu tampering???

I think it will cost me more to remove my ECU ship it to ECUnleashed and tune rather that buy a pc and tune it on dyno

No much less actually. And you get much more benefit from a flash vs. Only a tune.

Even with a tune you will still have fuel cut issues. A flash will eliminate that.

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
Correct.

The main ECU reflash company is ECunleased. Yamaha ECUs are locked down vs. Suzuki ECU.

I had them flash my FZ1, night and day difference, for the way better.

I know this reply isn't directly related to your query at the start of this thread, but if your interested I'm currently having my FZ6's ECU re-flashed by this company. I should have the ECU back Saturday, so it won't be long before I'll be posting my impressions (weather permitting :( )... watch this space!!!

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/47754-ecunleashed.html

Yamahaboyz

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
It would be nice to hear some result so i know what to expect. Maybe send them a mail after you post result to see the pricing. Bad thing is that i will be left without a bike for more than a month. Most time i didn't use a bike was 3 weeks cause of vacations :p yeah kind of sick of riding it

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've done allot of looking just for the base map for our ecm and thus far, no luck.

It terms of HEX code its a big map with fixed code for the few sensors the bike has. Without the base map and KNOWING what the parameters do, you don't stand much of chance of reflashing this bikes ECM.

You need to understand the language it speaks (protocol - which is likely proprietary to yamaha only), know how to read (make it talk), know how to write to it, do several check sums of the code and then the ECMs checksum has to agree with the calculated checksum of all the hex bit (the memory map) you just shoved into to or the ECM turns its nose up and says ERROR!

In short there are multiple tables of data that must agree or you just ruined your ECM. You need the memory map of the ECM before you ever stand a chance of doing anything to the code stored inside it.

I'd love to have it, but have had no luck thus far.