Had a near miss recently? How did you react?

FZ-Dave

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I’ll say sorry upfront, because I think this is going to be a kind of long one! I also apologies for any language which may cause offense. I’m possibly going to use the F word a few times. Basically I’m wondering how many riders here have had a ‘near miss’ and how it made you feel? How did you feel about yourself and your riding and how did you feel towards the person who nearly injured or killed you?

To explain, I’ll give a little background. I’ve always loved bikes, but whilst I was still living with the parents it was never an option. So when I moved out at 18 I started thinking about it a bit more seriously. I even booked a Direct Access course at 19/20 but in the 2 weeks between booking and taking the course, I saw 3 motorcycle accidents and nearly caused one myself (a bike pulled up on my left whilst I was at a roundabout in the left lane and indicating left! Needless to say I was looking right waiting for a gap to move out, I had music on so didn’t hear or see the bike. The biker was heading straight over the roundabout so as we both pulled away I nearly took him out, managed to slam the brakes on in time but it was a horrible feeling and I was only inches away from sending him flying into the middle of a busy roundabout). I also met one guy with a missing arm who lost it in a bike accident and found out the IT guy at work crashed his bike a few years ago and that’s why he still walks with a limp.

Despite having a passion for bikes and really wanting to do it, I lost my bottle and my deposit! But by the time I was 23, I’d had time to think a little more, I’d spoken to as many bikers as I could to get a more balanced view and decided that I was going to give it another go. In July 07 I decided to take a slower route to passing, bought myself a CBR 125 and took a basic CBT. I rode around on the 125 all summer and until Dec 07 when I took my Direct Access, passed and picked up my FZ6n in January 08.

Initially I thought I was going to save my FZ6 for the summer, popping out on the odd weekend if the weather was okay. But it didn’t quite work out like that! I loved the bike so much, it didn’t matter if it was raining or freezing cold, I wanted to be on it. Having the bike was fun and living about 40 miles from work, it gave me 2 hours of my life back every day (1hr on the way to work and 1hr on the way home).

I used to ride around with a hi-vis jacket on day and night, but more recently, since it’s been getting lighter, I’ve started to leave the high-vis at home. I feel more comfortable pulling up to a pub at the weekend to meet some mates and just generally more comfortable everywhere (supermarket, petrol station, nodding to other bikers, pulling up at the office or gym etc) without it on, stupid I know but I now feel just as safe without it too, it wasn’t just a fashion decision.

Despite dumping the geeky jacket a few months ago, I’ve always ridden fully armoured, head to toe in the right gear. I feel my riding has progressed slowly but steadily and that I’ve been very responsible and sensible in doing so.

Anyway a few weeks ago I had my first near miss when a car switched lanes whilst I was filtering through some near stationary traffic. It shook me up and I was angry at the driver for long enough to slow down and give him a good longer wank*r gesture, but after a second or so I was just feeling thankful to still be upright on my bike and decided that there must have been something I missed, some sign or indication that that’s what the car was going to do. There was nothing simple, he didn’t actually indicate at any time! But still, did I miss his wheels turning slightly or was he leaving a slightly bigger gap in front as he prepared to move into the half-space in the lane next to him, because it was moving slightly faster? Was I looking in my mirrors at the time I could have picked up on a sign of the car’s intentions?

I wrote that off as a learning experience and now if I filter through traffic, I defiantly pay a load more attention than I ever did before. I look out for any little detail or clue about anything that could cause me harm, and have accurately predicted a need to slow down on a few occasions. A few times I’ve slowed and there hasn’t been a need, but better safe than sorry.

Background over! Today I woke up early, I looked outside the window and for the first time in a few weeks now it was raining outside, gutted! So I decided rather than go back to sleep for an hour, I’d find my rain gear and leave a little early, take a nice gentle run into work on an A road, rather than hammering down the M3 and M25, filtering in-between cars because it’s always stand still traffic on both roads!

I’m enjoying my calm ride despite the rain and cold and am heading down the A30 from Camberley heading towards Egham. Nice wide roads, great visibility, loads or room to overtake if I feel like it, otherwise I’m happy enough to hang around behind a nice looking girl in a blue golf, for example! At Ascot train station cars start queuing up bumper to bumper because the barriers are down at the level crossing. So filtering up the middle I get to the front. There are already two boys there on scoters with ‘L’ plates on. One of them is checking out my bike, so I give him a little nod and he nods back. Usually I hate this level crossing because it takes forever, but I’m in no rush this morning.

As the barriers come up I let the guy who’d nodded me go first. I used to be a learner not so long ago and I’m in no rush. The other one waits for me to head off. A few hundred yards up the road and it’s clear in front and we get to a national speed limit stretch. As we get there, scooter boy in front pulls right over to the left, I think to let me past. I could either hammer it past him, or move from my position slightly to the right of the lane to a less assertive / aggressing position. So I move slight to the left and hang back a bit. He gets the hint, I’m in no rush and he’s not annoying me, he takes up a safer position in the middle of the lane but still checking me in his mirrors every few seconds.

The guy in front has had his scoter thingy de-restricted or something, as he’s happily wheeling along at 60-70mph… the guy behind not so lucky, must be restricted to 30 because he’s miles behind and being forced into the curb by cars overtaking him, poor chap.

We approach a junction and a BMW X5 is waiting to pull out and go across our lane to turn right. Slightly behind him, what looks like an Aston Martin is creeping past on the Beemer on it’s left, clearly looking to join our lane eventually but his view is completely obscured by the 4x4.

By this time I’ve moved back to my regular lane position, slightly to the right of centre. It give’s me better visibility and more escape options I feel. Scooter boy heads past the X5 waiting to turn and once he’s past the BMW pulls out slightly, there’s nothing behind me and he don’t pull out far enough to get in my way, just preparing himself for a quick get-away once I’m past. However the guy in the Aston clearly thinks the BMW has moved because it’s safe to go… from where he is, he can’t see **** about what’s coming up the road, but he’s pulling out too fast to react to the BMW stopping.

I’m heading down the road at 60mph, god’s honest truth, Scooter boy is getting away from me! Anyway as the Aston pulls out I have to react… I’m in no danger of being able to stop, he’s 4 meters infront of me max, I’ve had to do two emergency stops since passing… once because a girl on her phone pulled out of a junction without looking and once for what I think was a small duck? Both took longer than this. The decision is either to bail on the bike and jump off, which will hurt at this speed and may still result in injury… or take a very quick and drastic de-tour, in the wet.

I know from having checked my mirrors a few seconds ago that there is nothing behind me that I need to worry about right now, I can see from my position in the road that there is nothing coming the other way. I’ve also been driving all winter and think I know how far I can safely push my bike in these conditions… if anything I’m drastically underestimating the bike and I could push it much further?

As the Aston DB7 driver takes up the whole of my lane and panic stops suddenly when he see’s me, I have to swerve into the oncoming lane to miss him… all this decision making took place in a fraction of a second. I miss the DB7 quite literally by a few mm, a cm at most. I know this because I feel his bumper just swipe my calf as I go past and I now have a massive bruise there.

I could not be more angry… I’m not usually an angry person but I slam my brakes on and downshift furiously. I turn around to give the wank*r gesture again but it doesn’t pacify me in any way, still too angry, arrogant DB7 twat. I come to a stop, slip into neutral and hook down my kick stand. I’m ready to get off my bike and explode at the posh tos**r.

At this point, the driver makes me madder than I’ve ever been in my life… he has the cheek to Beep me, then shoots around me and accelerates up the hill. Needless to say it doesn’t take me very long to catch up. I nearly fall off the back because I’m accelerating so hard… my gear changes are flat out and as I let the clutch out the bike jumps hard, nearly throwing me off. Soon I’m right behind him at nearly 80mph, then I don’t know why, but I overtake and cut infront. One of the most stupid things I’ve ever done, but at the time I wasn’t thinking.

In my head, I know what’s going to happen next. I know the traffic lights up ahead stay red for a good 1min30 or 2 mins once they change, and I see them changing to Red as we approach. I’m going to park up, leave the engine running, take off my helmet and leave it hanging on the bars, so DB7 can see my rage. I’m not massive, about 5’8”, but I’m shaved bald and if I’m angry I know I look intimidating.

I already know I’m not going to touch the DB7 itself… I can’t afford to! If the DB7 driver says sorry whilst I’m going off on one, then okay, that’s the response I’m looking for. I’m still going to keep shouting and calling them names, but I’d leave it at that.

If they show even the slightest sign of anger or aggression towards me but stay in the car, then I’m going to open the car door, take out the keys and launch them into a bush. If they get out of their car and step towards me, I would not hesitate for a second to throw the first punch. I’m not a violent guy, god’s honest truth… but I’ve never felt like this before. Just because he clearly has no respect or consideration for other road users or their safety, and then had the cheek to beep me when I stopped further back down the road after he was mm’s away from hospitalising me for sure, maybe killing me.

Anyway that’s my plan, and I swear to god I’d have followed it through. The only flaw in the plan is the filter light for cars turning right into Wentworth… I’ve stopped behind a line of parked cars and the natural place for the DB7 to pull up is right next to me or right behind me, one or the other. I’m off my bike, undoing my helmet strap… the only thing behind me is the DB7 and everything infront is stationary.

Only the DB7 doesn’t stop, it moves all the way to the right and takes the right hand turn into Wentworth just before the filter light turns red. It must have taken the corner at 50mph plus, the tyres screeched and it overrun the corner a little bit.

I am fuming, nobody should ever know what was being shouted inside my arai. I get back on the bike but it’s no good, I can’t concentrate. I’m not safe… I pull over in a lay by next to Virginia Waters. I take a good 20mins to calm down, it’s a good job I’m early… then it hits me:

If I had followed through with my plan, what if it was a woman driving? The windows were tinted black and I couldn’t see who was driving. If it was a woman and I was that angry, all of a sudden that’s a very serious case of harassment and violent behavior. What if it was an Asian or Indian driver… I’m not racist in the slightest but all of a sudden that could be deemed as a racially aggravated assault. What if it’s an older driver? What if my aggression towards them triggers off a panic attack or worse? All of a sudden I’m then the cause of that… Seeing as its an Aston Martin and we’re in Ascot / Wentworth… what if it’s a celebrity? I’d be in the paper as the nutter who assaulted Bruce Forsyth (who I know lives around there for example!). Any of the above examples and I’m not just looking at a fine and losing my license, but maybe a bit of jail time?

Problem is that genuinely this near miss was not my fault, I was not in the wrong. I’ve gone over it 100 times in my head. The DB7 driver was an arrogant, inconsiderate arsehole who should have their license revoked and given community service. What if it wasn’t me? What if it was one of the younger kids on a less manoverable scooter, riding further to the left of the lane? They wouldn’t have stood a chance.

I strongly believe that my lane positioning, understanding of what was behind and infront of me at the time and my understanding of what my bike was capable of, saved my life today… at minimum it saved me from a very unpleasant hospital stint, possible never walking or running ever again. If I wasn’t able to work I’d most certainly have fallen behind with the mortgage and lost my house… all that’s okay because the DB7 driver didn’t fancy checking to see what was coming, why should they? Their rich, well educated and better than me right? None of that matters so long as the insurance fixes the car and they can still play golf at Wentworth.

On the way home, my confidence is shot to pieces. I don’t want to overtake anything, or filter past any traffic at all. I don’t want to lean around tight corners or roundabouts. I’m afraid of everything that could possible cause me any harm. I don’t know how I’m going to feel tomorrow.

I was just hoping to find out if you guy’s had ever experienced this kind of near miss? How did you feel, how angry were you? How did you deal with that? How long did it take to get your confidence back?

Sorry again for the long one and so so so sorry if any language offended anyone. Not my intention.

Dave

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

You know your human.

We have a instant reaction to things that can kill us. Fight or Flight sounds simple but its not.

Its designed in to the system. I can react like that too. The only thing we can do is pull over.
I hear exactly what your saying.
I want to say I usually handle it well, but I know of one time I did almost exactly what you described and the dude was totally oblivious to the fact that he almost killed me and was pissed off for me pointing it out. The other two times I just went on.

Y

yukon_alex

I agree. You, my friend, experienced road rage. It has only happened to me once when I was visiting the big city and I have NEVER told anyone about the incident. Recognise it for what it was: a one off experience that you didn't enjoy and will try to never let happen again. That's what I did and, so far, it hasn't happened again.

As for the loss of confidence in your abilities? You rock! 4m between you and a car that cut you off at 60mph? Holy crap man! You missed it! I would say your abilities for riding in traffic are right up there or above everybody else.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ek, that was long.

Did you get his reg number?
If you have an injury from the a/in/ccident and he failed to stop then you could report it.

Glad your OK thou.

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
I have close calls from blind cagers all of the time. I have learned a lot about what makes a person an unsafe driver and a safe one. The only thing that really comes to mind is watch out for Priuses. They are the most common car to try to kill me.:confused:

It sounds like you reacted as most human beings would. There is a basic instinct in a situation like that of "kill or be killed", and to seek out retribution of some sort.

I openly admit I have kicked a few offending cages, and even bent a few mirrors when I was deeply offended. A thrown cigarette butt hurt BAD! The guy almost lost his windshield over that one, I say almost but I didn't throw the spark plug:(

Anyway, it sounds like you have found a true road rage, and just need to learn to breathe. This will not be your only close call, there will be others.

jrf

Reaction score
Visit site
I had 1 today and I am still kinda fuming about it and it was 6 hours ago.

It's not that I have been thinking about it for this long, but just every now and again it pops in my head how inconsiderate people are and nothing ever and I mean ever gets done about it. That is the part that ticks me off the most is that nothing every gets done about it.

I have had my bike for just over 1 week and have already had about 5 close calls per say. None have been life threatening(unless i wasn't paying attention then atleast 3 could have been). All were from idiot cagers either talking, smoking and not paying attention.

For each incident I did the exact same thing, just give them a quick glance as I go by and nothing else. Then when I get home is when I will take a few moments and vent.

You did exactly what most of us would do, and I applaud you for pulling over and taking a few minutes to cool down:thumbup: some of us would just keep on riding with our minds on what had just happened, which in turn takes our minds off where they need to be which is on the road.

I just wish that one of these days law enforcement would actually do something about these people who could care less about other people on the road.

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Road rage naughty, risky but oh so understandable!

I know how you feel.
I have had so many near misses that I have lost count. The most recent being 2 days ago was being in a centre lane to go across a roundabout the only other vehicle on my carriage way was a blinged up peugot hatch left hand lane no indication. This is a 6 exit roundabout. As I indicate and position to exit peugot clown puts his foot down and screams across my front to use exit 5.
The temptation to chase him and deliver an Arai headbutt was so strong I'm not sure how I didn't. I just managed to brake swerve and head home.

Usually I just make do with shaking my head or making a THINK gesture.

I suspect the blacked out windows on the DB7 didn't help, strange how cars can have them but put it on a visor and it's points for the poor old biker.

Anyway glad you're in 1 piece.

MarkyG57

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Dave

( Hi also to everyone else reading Dave's message ad those that follow)

I recon we have all been there Dave and you know we all feel for you, after all what are biking buddies for, we know the dangers out there and the wish that all other road users, had to also learn to ride a bike / scooter to know what its like for us as road users.

One of the above messages speakes about the fail to stop issue should you have an injury and I would strongly suggest that you consider this. However your actions after the moment, were as you say out of control and it was lucky things happend after as they did as your comments about road rage could have happened.

The issue of the "red mist" effects us all, what makes if different for everyone is how you handle it. In our year on year training we in the job, have to see a dvd about red mist and how it can effect us, not only in situations like this, but other people by our actions when under its infulence.

Can I suggest please that, you take a few days to get your head together, then go for aride to rebuild your confidence, but all of this is up to you.

If after this your still up for riding and none of us would think any less of you if your decided to call it a day, can I also suggest please that you phone Mick Gear of Hants Police or email him via hopefully this link, to get yourself on a "Bike Safe" course in Hampshire. This will I hope help you.
Hampshire Constabulary Bikesafe Initiative

All the very best, for what its worth, I do know how you feel.

Regards

Mark

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
When filtering traffic everyone experiences a cager getting in its way. Now there are two kind of cagers. The ones that did that by mistake and the arrogant pricks that still won't care.

The second kind always gets a love token from me. They usually go away with a broken mirror or a slammed door. I know it's called road rage but after puting me in risk because they don't care I never regret it. If they don't care, I don't care either.

B

bluenova

Dave, all I can say is don't ever ride in Belgium, you'll have to deal with 20 people like that on your commute every day. Car drivers give absolutely no respect to any other road users here, they all drive bumper to bumper and they all pull out in front of each other.

I'm English and therefore am used to a much more relaxed driving style where 99% of people (except white van men) give each other lots of room and let each other out of junctions.

In the car in Belgium I get totally stressed mainly with people up against my rear bumper, but on the bike it's not so bad, I just always remind myself that I'm invisible to everybody and I get round people when ever it's safe, keeping myself in front of the traffic.

Bottom line, there will always be wankers out there, you just have to remember you're invisible and keep calm when you meet them.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have close calls just about every ride here in Vegas. What do I do? I use my horn every day! Damn tourist shouldn't be allowed to drive! A new horn was my very first mod. I realized that I needed to get rid of that stock horn because it just didn't do the job.

Last edited:

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have close calls just about every ride here in Vegas. What do I do? I use my horn every day! Damn tourist shouldn't be allowed to drive! A new horn was my very first mod. I realized that I needed to get rid of that stock horn because it just didn't do the job.

+1

Lets others know you are there. ;)

Essential when going through any big town or city.

bledubd

FZ6 Naked Epiphany
Reaction score
Visit site
Just last night I had a near miss, some cager in a merc decided that he would turn faster than I was riding. I dealt with it like I now do with all these near misses. I ignored him and added it to my experience list. I am sure that when we got to the red traffic lights he thought that I would get off my bike and come over for a couple of expletives.

The thing is if you let road rage get the better of you are most likely going to f*&k up sometimes along the ride. its a good thing you decided to pull over and calm down. and also use your hooter, its there for a reason. I now use mine every time I think a wanker will pull out in front of me during my morning commute in central london

FZ-Dave

Reaction score
Visit site
I just wanted to say a quick thanks to everyone who replied and that I’ve taken a lot of the advice on board:

Yukon Alex: Despite there only being a very short distance between me and the Aston, I was slightly off centre in my lane so had given myself a bit of a head start. I don’t rock by any means… still have a lot of learning to do. I decided to move rather then try to stop and think that on this occasion it was the right thing to do.

Grommit: So sorry, but I did warn you it was a long one! It was a 54reg but didn’t get any more than that. I don’t think the driver knew exactly how close it was or that my leg had been hit… maybe I took some paint with me :).

Fast Blue One: Understandable yep! Glad the Peugeot just annoyed you and didn’t cause any damage. I think like yourself I’ve got a few to more of these to come. I’ll just try to learn from each one now and try to recognize the behavior so I can avoid it.

Marky G57: I took your advice about taking a few days off. This weekend I was going to ride up to Manchester, but decided to leave the bike at home and got a lift up instead (the fact is was raining and my lift was a very hot 19yr old girl at Reading uni also helped make this decision!). Red Mist would describe it well and I fell that put in the same position again, providing no real harm was caused, I’d be a lot calmer. Have already been onto the Hampshire BikeSafe people, they’re fully booked but have put myself on a list! Thanks for the advice.

GConn: Would now completely agree with your theory of there being two types of cagers. I guess you have to forgive the ones that made an honest mistake and are sorry and find your own special way to deal with the one’s who just don’t care!

Blue Nova: I think that thinking of yourself as invisible on your bike is a good idea… assume everyone hasn’t seen you (within reason) and I guess you’ll naturally stay out of a lot of trouble.

Vegas Rider: The horn advice is really good… sounds stupid but since having the bike I’ve only used it once or twice and not for the reason it’s actually there for. Will bear that in mind now and remember it’s there… just by the left thumb!

Bledubd: Glad you’re okay after you’re the Merc thing and I think I’m going to take a leaf out of your book. Learning and gaining experience is far more valuable to me than losing it and seeking revenge in some way. Pulling over and Calming down most likely saved me from being in another incident that day, the second one most likely would have been my fault!

Anyway… I got back on the bike this morning feeling a lot safer. I’m still being a lot more cautious that I was, but then I don’t think that’s a bad thing? I got into work in about the same time I always did, I just paid a lot more attention at junctions and hung back on my filtering until I was sure they’d seen me or weren’t going to switch lanes suddenly etc.

Thanks again for sharing your experience everyone and some for making me laugh too!

Dave

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just last night I had a near miss, some cager in a merc decided that he would turn faster than I was riding. I dealt with it like I now do with all these near misses. I ignored him and added it to my experience list. I am sure that when we got to the red traffic lights he thought that I would get off my bike and come over for a couple of expletives.

The thing is if you let road rage get the better of you are most likely going to f*&k up sometimes along the ride. its a good thing you decided to pull over and calm down. and also use your hooter, its there for a reason. I now use mine every time I think a wanker will pull out in front of me during my morning commute in central london
That is top advice.
I have had a few red mist moments myself. The most bizarre one was at Kensington green (just outside Harrods London) I was gently filtering and along the traffic and a convertible car to my left threw an empty KFC bucket out the window.
It smacked me in the chest. I went mental, not because of the pain. I hate littering. I picked up the remains of the bucket and chased the car down to Piccadilly. We both stopped at Eros and I said to the guy you dropped something. I then poured the bucket right on top of him and threw it in the back of his car.
I am not an aggressive person at all. He went ape site and started to get all mad. I just speed off.
I still get the red mist especially when my life has been put at risk. I have to say though that 7/10 times I could have prevented the situation developing so just chill my beans and try to learn from it. I am glad you are safe and well and not paying for a DB7 paint job. What comes around will go around.

Nelly