High Beam Stays On.

Caulberg

Reaction score
Visit site
Recently I installed a battery tender and removed heated grips...

Now when I start and run my bike only the high beam (left light) is on.
The blue high beam indicator light is constantly on as well.
Also, switching from high to low beam does nothing to correct it.

Any thoughts???
This is a frustrating one!!!

CavDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
That's odd. The stuff you removed - was that attached straight to the battery or was it spliced in to existing wiring?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum!

If the bike is like the US version, the left light (as you sit on the bike) IS the LOW beam and will stay on when the bike is started. The right side (two wires only un-less modded) has two wires and is the high beam. The right side light (HB) will NOT light all the time un-less modded (BD43 or other mod) or activated to highbeam from the handlebar switch.

I was thinking perhaps the HB bulb burnt out/broke but I don't think that would affect the indicator light. You can check the filiment of the HB bulb and see if its intact. Of course, don't touch the glass filiment with bare fingers...

BTW, did you remove all the wiring/hook ups for the grips? What were they tied into? I'm also assuming the BT is an SAE connector bolted directly to the battery..

Last edited:

Caulberg

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum!

If the bike is like the US version, the left light (as you sit on the bike) IS the LOW beam and will stay on when the bike is started. The right side (two wires only un-less modded) has two wires and is the high beam. The right side light (HB) will NOT light all the time un-less modded (BD43 or other mod) or activated to highbeam from the handlebar switch.

I was thinking perhaps the HB bulb burnt out/broke but I don't think that would affect the indicator light. You can check the filiment of the HB bulb and see if its intact. Of course, don't touch the glass filiment with bare fingers...

BTW, did you remove all the wiring/hook ups for the grips? What were they tied into? I'm also assuming the BT is an SAE connector bolted directly to the battery..

The bike is the US version. I was referencing the left light as you look at the bike from the front.

When attempting to activate the high / low beams from the handle bar nothing happens!!! The high's constantly stay on! I don't think the bulb is burnt out.
The problem only began after I removed the tank to uninstall the heated grips and install the battery tender.

I did remove all of the wiring and hook ups for the grips.. and the tender does connect directly to the battery.

Could it be a fuse has been knocked out of place causing only the high beams to stay on as an indicator something is wrong?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If the high beam indicator is lit all the time and the right side lamp is lit all the time (right side is your right as you sit on the bike) there may be a wire crossed.

Let's try to figure what circuit it's crossed with. Does the headlight come on after the engine is started? Or does it come on as soon as the the ignition key is turned on? The headlamps should only come on once the engine has started. If this is the case someone may have crossed you low beam wire with your high beam wire. This would the right side (sitting on the bike) high beam on all the time and no matter what position the high beam switch was in it will stay on.

Check the plug on the left lamp. It should have 2 wires. One wire is black with a green stripe/tracer. The other is a black wire. There should be no other wires or jumpers.

Check the plug on the right lamp. It should have 2 wires. One wire is black with a yellow stripe/tracer. The other is a black wire. The center top flag connector on the plug is not used on the OEM plugs. There should be no other wires or jumpers.

Look at these things and get back to us! :)

Caulberg

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright,

After checking all wiring connections and fuse I was able to solve the problem by removing the light bulb from it's harness and cleaning it!!!

Easy fix but frustrating because the bulb is still good... It was the last thing I checked!!

Also, the lights only come on when the bike is started... for every avenue trouble shot I had to start the bike! It's -20 in Canada Eh!

Positive note.. the bike started effortlessly every time and idled beautify!

Thanks For your comments!