How do you clean your gear?

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I have a red and white textile jacket that is basically gray on the front now and shiny white on the back. Is there a good way to clean out road grime or should I get an all-black jacket?

For leather as well. I'm looking at a nice leather jacket but it has white on the front as well. How could I keep it clean?

2008joerocketyamahachamfo1.jpg

W

wrightme43

Clean? Clean?

RUBs (rich urban bikers) tie thier chaps to the front of thier RVs as they trailer their motorcycles to sturgis.

LOL LOL

Man I dont know, my gear gets trashed.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I cleaned my leather jacket for the first time the other day as it was covered in fly bits. Used a damp (quite dry) sponge on the advice of the misses. Wiped it down, little buggers came right off. Let it dry in the garden, looks like new.

enjoytheride68

Reaction score
Visit site
If there are bugs on it that did not get washed off from the last rain we rode through, we wipe them off with a wet cloth, just water. Then use a leather conditioner on them. There are several conditioners, go to your local or semi-local leather shop, they can set you up with a conditioner. Hope this helps. :thumbup:

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
This isn't bugs, it's the black road grime that you get in the UK. Maybe this should be a UK-centric question since I never got anything like it in the US. Might be related to the number of diesel cars and trucks.

minimad

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive found the best on leather is baby wipes (stop laughing)

Baby wipes contain a conditioner in them so not only do you clean the leather you also apply conditioner at the same time and keep the leather in good nick.

Was a tip i picked up for keeping my leather sofa in good condition.

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
This isn't bugs, it's the black road grime that you get in the UK. Maybe this should be a UK-centric question since I never got anything like it in the US. Might be related to the number of diesel cars and trucks.

Grime? It's time for WD40..... :Flip:

Seriously though, I only use a wet piece of cloth and a conditioner. I wouldn't know about grime. A great percentage of the cars are diesel where I live too but I never had any grime on my jacket.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Ive found the best on leather is baby wipes (stop laughing)

Baby wipes contain a conditioner in them so not only do you clean the leather you also apply conditioner at the same time and keep the leather in good nick.

Was a tip i picked up for keeping my leather sofa in good condition.

I've got plenty of baby wipes around. That would be a good idea for leather - what about textile? Any tips?

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a cordura textile and took it to the cleaner's for a wash according to the instructions on the jacket. BUT, I would be sure that after a wash or two, the textile will lose it's waterproof capability since the teflon cover is affected by washing.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

David a friend of mine once told me that what he missed most whilst living in London (for aprox 3 years ) was green snot ;)

I personally think it's a London-centric question.

Last edited:

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried wasking my textile int he washing machine at the end of last season. Took all the armor out of it and tookt he plunge. I don't know about your London-grime, but it got my NH-grime out okay. Jacket wasn't destroyed either, which is pretty important ;)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For leathers I use Lexol products, cleaner and conditioner. Works GREAT!

Lexol Leather Care

I once had a set of racing leathers the smelled so bad my wife wouldn't let them in the house! I found a dry cleaners who could clean leathers and they came back perfect! It was expensive however, I think $100.00 or so???

vinpub

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a textile jacket with white stripes on shoulder. They get really trashed with road dust and straps. I took out the padding, liner and washed it with mild soap in the sink and let it drip-dry in the shower.
I havent tested any loss of waterproof coating (in SoCal you dont have to .. ;)) I figured, at worst, I can get one of those scotchgurad sparys and spray the outer layer to protect it further if needed.
It came out looking quite good but was back to its old look in a month!

bledubd

FZ6 Naked Epiphany
Reaction score
Visit site

Funny enough I am looking for the same solution. The other day I washed my high viz in warm water and washing power and u can't believe the grime that came off. I asked another rider yesterday I bumped into at the supermarket and he told me that he pops his into the washing machine and lets it drip dry.

my problem is that ontop of the synthetic material I have leather parts on the same gear. i will probably pop over to HG and ask the guys there how to do the cleaning.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I have a red and white textile jacket that is basically gray on the front now and shiny white on the back. Is there a good way to clean out road grime or should I get an all-black jacket?

For leather as well. I'm looking at a nice leather jacket but it has white on the front as well. How could I keep it clean?

2008joerocketyamahachamfo1.jpg

All my gear is IXS, - and the recomend the following:

IXS - The Perfect Fit

If it works on IXS, I guess it will work on most brands ....

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
For LEATHER I recommend:

886a127b6cf3124b855f86471f045b05_refined.jpg

For TEXTILES...uhhh....

Take the protectors out of 'em, put them on and SHOWER WITH THEM ON!! Really! Works great!!