MSF practice materials

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I have a question for all of our MSF instructors. Is there a good site, link or youtube for reviewing all the basic rider exercises? I went ahead and signed up for the Advance Rider Course in 2 weeks. All they require at the location by me is that you have your own bike and 3000 miles under your belt. Even with 2 crashes in 2 months I've managed to get 2500 miles in and I'm going to try for about 300 today. I had been practicing the stuff I can remember from the BRC but wanted to make sure I was getting all those beginner skills down.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In my opinion, it's more fun to go in without knowing what's in store. Let the coaches make you better, but if you insist..

ARC (not to be confused with BRC2/ERC):

1. Basic Control
2. Quick Stops
3. Stopping Demonstration
4. Curve Adjustments
5. Cornering and Swerving
6. Multiple Curves
7. Decreasing Radius Curves
8. Gap Analysis and Safety Margin

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Two crashes in two months and only in 2500 miles? What have you learned from the two crashes?

Average beginning rider will crash within the first 3500 miles.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good to know; I'll make it to 3499 and go back to mountain biking!

I plan to take the ARC after I get real practice under my belt. I've got 700 miles so far, and I'm putting on about as many as I can.

I've practiced my low speed maneuvers / clutch skills in a parking lot, but I can tell I'm turbo rusty. My turn radius isn't as tight as this bike can get, and my swerve is way too conservative; I recall that you can get a bike to weave through some damn cones.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
There are several videos on youtube of ARC exercises. Just search for msf arc course. And, be sure not to get caught in the 'youtube hole' ;)

Also, peruse the MSF site itself. Good info there as well.

warrencycle

Reaction score
Visit site
Good to know; I'll make it to 3499 and go back to mountain biking!

I plan to take the ARC after I get real practice under my belt. I've got 700 miles so far, and I'm putting on about as many as I can.

I've practiced my low speed maneuvers / clutch skills in a parking lot, but I can tell I'm turbo rusty. My turn radius isn't as tight as this bike can get, and my swerve is way too conservative; I recall that you can get a bike to weave through some damn cones.

Did you take the arc yet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you take the arc yet?

No, and ironically enough I did successfully crash. Tried to lean off the bike while taking a low speed left turn over double yellow lines on a dewy morning.

Didn't dampen my enthusiasm though, and thanks for the ribbing! Maybe this spring is the time to dust off my skills.

warrencycle

Reaction score
Visit site
No, and ironically enough I did successfully crash. Tried to lean off the bike while taking a low speed left turn over double yellow lines on a dewy morning.

Didn't dampen my enthusiasm though, and thanks for the ribbing! Maybe this spring is the time to dust off my skills.

Yikes! Hope all is well now and you didnt get too banged up? I was only curious is all. I'm an instructor for MSF (BRC, BRC2, & ARC-ST) and wondered what you thought of it.

warrencycle

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh yeah o_O sorry bout the clutch plate bite back on my gargoyles thread.... my frustration weren't with you. Trust me lol. Have run into some quirky things biulding this FZ. All input and suggestions is very much appreciated.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I really hope you're wrong about this.. lol :eek:

Don't sweat it, Matt. Not everyone crashes. Be wise and mature and keep reminding yourself what you learned in class (if you took BRC) and you'll be just fine :thumbup:

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't sweat it, Matt. Not everyone crashes. Be wise and mature and keep reminding yourself what you learned in class (if you took BRC) and you'll be just fine :thumbup:

It's very good advice. Don't think you're going to crash as it can happen to be self-fulfilling prophecy. It sets your mindset in wrong direction.

Do not ignore risks though - evaluate them and don't take chances.

Positive attitude is helping a lot :)

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh yeah o_O sorry bout the clutch plate bite back on my gargoyles thread.... my frustration weren't with you. Trust me lol. Have run into some quirky things biulding this FZ. All input and suggestions is very much appreciated.

Oh, I didn't realize that was you, lol.

I took no offense. You have quite the situation there, man...best of luck getting that sorted. Anyone would be frustrated at the least. Hopefully it's just a loose chain on the oil pump.

The wreck shaved some metal off my stator cover and sprained my wrist pretty good. No major damage, bike and rider both still serviceable. :D

Also didn't know (or forgot) you were an MSF instructor. If I take ARC I'll post about it if I remember to do so. The BRC was of course great. I wonder how many other people start to fall in love with the bike they learn on at the BRC...