yamaha FZ6 (neutro lamp don't light green)

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
As you are from Albania, I'm guessing your bike is fitted with the factory immobiliser, as are all others sold in the UK, EU and AUS markets.

After looking at the wiring diagram for the FZ6 NHG (Non US, Naked Model, 96HP), it seems that the only 'minor' fuse likely to effect the operation of the neutral light circuit is the Backup fuse, this can be found within the fuse box behind the throttle side, side pod.

However, there is no need to check it directly, as this fuse involves the power supply that allows your clock and trip meter values to be maintained when the ignition is switched off. Are your clock and trip meters resetting after the ignition is switched off?

It is also common to have issues with the neutral light after washing your bike or riding in the rain, have you done either recently?

Hope this helps,

Yamahaboyz

klajdidervishi

Reaction score
Visit site
As you are from Albania, I'm guessing your bike is fitted with the factory immobiliser, as are all others sold in the UK, EU and AUS markets.

After looking at the wiring diagram for the FZ6 NHG (Non US, Naked Model, 96HP), it seems that the only 'minor' fuse likely to effect the operation of the neutral light circuit is the Backup fuse, this can be found within the fuse box behind the throttle side, side pod.

However, there is no need to check it directly, as this fuse involves the power supply that allows your clock and trip meter values to be maintained when the ignition is switched off. Are your clock and trip meters resetting after the ignition is switched off?

It is also common to have issues with the neutral light after washing your bike or riding in the rain, have you done either recently?

Hope this helps,

Yamahaboyz
thnx alot.
i buy my FZ6 in Greece and i was looking lately in internet for "NEUTRAL SENSOR SWITCH" and maybe the problem is this:

i will try to learn smth in the user manual for this problem.
thnx a lot again... :)

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
As an automotive engineer, I definitely wouldn't recommend the replacement of parts at random as an effective solution to solving problems, as this tends to become unnecessarily costly and wastes time.

Personally I think that the problem is likely to be very simple, most likely to be related to some of the things mentioned in my previous post, or something just as simple.

By all means have a good look through the owners manual to familiarise yourself with your bike, the service manuals are also available somewhere on the forum if you wish to go more in depth, I'll insert the link if I'm able to find it.

Yamahaboyz

Edit: Can't seem to find a link to the Australian Service Manual (Which I believe covers all European Models aswell), the US one can be downloaded here though: http://www.bonemanfz6.com/mods.htm#manuals

Last edited:

klajdidervishi

Reaction score
Visit site
As an automotive engineer, I definitely wouldn't recommend the replacement of parts at random as an effective solution to solving problems, as this tends to become unnecessarily costly and wastes time.

Personally I think that the problem is likely to be very simple, most likely to be related to some of the things mentioned in my previous post, or something just as simple.

By all means have a good look through the owners manual to familiarise yourself with your bike, the service manuals are also available somewhere on the forum if you wish to go more in depth, I'll insert the link if I'm able to find it.

Yamahaboyz

Edit: Can't seem to find a link to the Australian Service Manual (Which I believe covers all European Models aswell), the US one can be downloaded here though: Boneman's FZ6 Site - Mods
hi,
thnx for the advice Yamaha Boyz :)
my bike before is an accidented FZ6 (S)
i convert it in a FZ6 (N)
i buy the gauge and some front parts.
the gauge didn't work :( than i replace the main wire
with the main wire that i replace the gauge don't work again
all the fuses are ok
i haven't seen the clock and the trip meter because i didn't ride recently (from the weather)
i have a kick stand sensor in my bike
When i turn on my bike the kick stand should be close because the bike don't turn on.
can u help with some steps because my mechanic don't now what to do.
thnx a lot again :)

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
hi,
thnx for the advice Yamaha Boyz :)
my bike before is an accidented FZ6 (S)
i convert it in a FZ6 (N)
i buy the gauge and some front parts.
the gauge didn't work :( than i replace the main wire
with the main wire that i replace the gauge don't work again
all the fuses are ok
i haven't seen the clock and the trip meter because i didn't ride recently (from the weather)
i have a kick stand sensor in my bike
When i turn on my bike the kick stand should be close because the bike don't turn on.
can u help with some steps because my mechanic don't now what to do.
thnx a lot again :)

I'll give it my best shot. :thumbup:

Could you please clarify the fault(s)? You began the thread stating that the neutral light wasn't working, however from your last post I get the impression that the bike doesn't actually start/run?

Yamahaboyz

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a module on the bike called the starter interrupt module It has relays and diodes. It's tied to your clutch, side stand and neutral safety switches. It could have a blown diode in it because parts of that circuit are not fuse protected. I have a friend that did this to his bike and the module needs replacing. Check your 3 main interrupt switches and fuses. If they are good and wiring is good, I would suspect the interrupt module. :)

Last edited:

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry that I haven't replied sooner, I'll try and be a little quicker with my replies over the next few days.

thnx Motogiro
but i think the problem is somewhere else.
thnx a lot :)

Cliff (Motogiro) is the moderator for the electrical section of the forum, it's well worth listening to and considering his insights (he's often right :thumbup: ), I personally would very much value his input as we try and solve your issue.

Thnx,
yamahaboyz,
the bike run very well but the neutral light on the tachometer don't work.
i don't know the reason.
help me :)

Firstly, could you check the wire running to the neutral switch visually for damage, and remove and refit the connector, checking for corrosion and a secure connection.

Secondly, can you test the operation of the clutch switch and kickstand switch to ensure that they are working correctly.

1) Bike in neutral, starts without pulling the clutch.
2) Bike in gear, doesn't start without pulling the clutch.
3) Bike in gear, starts with the clutch pulled.

4) Kickstand down, bike starts in neutral.
5) Kickstand down, bike doesn't start in gear.

Yamahaboyz

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The actual mechanical neutral switch is located at the rear of the engine. Its a little closer to the right (rear brake) side. It screws into the block and is visable by looking forward just above the swing arm.

There should be one wire attached to it...

When the transmission is in neutral it completes the circuit and lights up the green, neutral light. Check to see if its hooked up and also has a nice clean connection.

To check the circuit, you can disconnect the wire from the switch and ground it to some clean metal (ground). Then turn on the key, it should light up if its functioning correctly. If it now works, your mechanical switch is faulty. If it doesn't, the switch is fine and your problem is elsewhere...

Hope this helps..

klajdidervishi

Reaction score
Visit site
hi
the wire till to the neutral switch its ok

1) Bike in neutral, starts without pulling the clutch. (don't start)
2) Bike in gear, doesn't start without pulling the clutch. (don't start)
3) Bike in gear, starts with the clutch pulled. (yes it start)

4) Kickstand down, bike starts in neutral. (don't start)
5) Kickstand down, bike doesn't start in gear. (don't start)

thnx in advance :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
hi

Does the wire, when grounded, illuminate the green light with the ignition turned on?

I'm trying rule in or rule out the mechanical switch.........

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
hi

Ok, this has basically confirmed that the ECU is not being 'told' that the bike is in neutral, as in neutral the bike should start without the clutch being pulled in.

Does the wire, when grounded, illuminate the green light with the ignition turned on?

I'm trying rule in or rule out the mechanical switch.........

This is absolutely the next thing to do, ground the wire and see whether the neutral light illuminates, if it does, the neutral switch is very likely to be the culprit, but a fault in the activation of the switch is also a possibility.

Yamahaboyz

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, this has basically confirmed that the ECU is not being 'told' that the bike is in neutral, as in neutral the bike should start without the clutch being pulled in.

This is absolutely the next thing to do, ground the wire and see whether the neutral light illuminates, if it does, the neutral switch is very likely to be the culprit, but a fault in the activation of the switch is also a possibility.

Yamahaboyz

Exactly first disconnect the wire to create an open circuit condition to see if the neutral safety light changes mode and if no change then ground the wire to see if there is a change. If the state of the neutral light stays the same then I would suspect the interrupt module has a toasted diode...:(

klajdidervishi

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi boys,
The problem was the neutral switch.
I replace it with an used one and everything is perfect.
Thnx a lot to you all.
See you if anything go wrong again.
Hope NOT.... ;-)