ram air....

ReapeR

Reaction score
Visit site
ive been thinking about making a ram air system, i think i have the perfect place, in the pic where i marked on both sides where i cut the fairing to make it fit, needs to be filled in so i thought about making tubes to go there to fill in the gap, then get hoses from there to the box, cut the top and make more tubes then seal the box lid back up around it, what do you guys think? i know theres not alot of room but i can do it, and would it really help on the fz6?

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ive been thinking about making a ram air system, i think i have the perfect place, in the pic where i marked on both sides where i cut the fairing to make it fit, needs to be filled in so i thought about making tubes to go there to fill in the gap, then get hoses from there to the box, cut the top and make more tubes then seal the box lid back up around it, what do you guys think? i know theres not alot of room but i can do it, and would it really help on the fz6?

I think if you can get it straight a possible, it might help.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder if the trouble is worth any gains you might get.

Do any bikes come with ram air? Seems like someone would do it if it was worth doing?

Quick google search found this:
Sport Rider-Ram Air Test of sport bikes on the motorcycle dyno

Shows some specs of airbox pressure on a R6.....seems to have quite the affect. Im quite curious to what you find, wish i could offer some imput.....for now Ill just see what you find. :thumbup:

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder if the trouble is worth any gains you might get.

Do any bikes come with ram air? Seems like someone would do it if it was worth doing?

Quick google search found this:
Sport Rider-Ram Air Test of sport bikes on the motorcycle dyno

Shows some specs of airbox pressure on a R6.....seems to have quite the affect. Im quite curious to what you find, wish i could offer some imput.....for now Ill just see what you find. :thumbup:

Correct me if I am wrong. But isn't the way the R6 fairing set up, the bike is essentially ram inducted. Adding quite a few horse power. Also the CBR F3 has ram air.

Last edited:

ReapeR

Reaction score
Visit site
well if it doesnt work the tubes im guna make will fill in the gap where the fairings meet, that was the whole idea, then i thought if i can just run hoses to the box why not try. just still tryin to get it all clean and tight.

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
theres no need for a ram air once the bike gets moving at high speed there is more air coming under the tank making more power

mlwilliams2

25,000+ Miles...
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to tackle ram air on my 2006 FZ6 *very* soon. Probably in the next week.

As the Sport Rider write-up showed "it's apparent that any internal-combustion motor benefits from ram-air induction" and the bikes were gaining around 5HP & 3lb-ft (or probably more accurately 5%HP & 3%TQ) with ram air. The last poster said going faster stuffs more air into the box anyway, but I think with the intake under the tank and behind the fairing, especially in the FZ6, the intake is actually inside "the bubble" and the higher RPMs you're turning and the faster you're going, the higher *vacuum* your airbox will see. Ideally, you want either no vacuum or positive pressure for maximum power. Also, the air temp seems to always read higher than ambient due to the radiator and airbox location. If nothing else, it will draw cooler air. Ram air is one of the bigger differences between the FZ6 and the R6. Cams and a .2 compression gain can only make up some of that extra 25HP. :)

The '06 has temp and pressure sensors in separate locations in the intake areas, so I'm not worried about going lean, especially at only about .4 PSI at highway speed or maybe around a pound at race speeds, but will ease into the speed and see how it reacts. Also, I plan to build in a relief flap so that: 1. If the ducting gets plugged the bike can breathe 'til I remove whatever shopping bag/bird/etc caused it, and 2. I can plug it on purpose during initial testing and see the real difference in performance or even adjust how much ram it sees.

I laid down 34 runs at a local 1/8th mile track and got pretty consistent, so I've got that to compare to after the mod is done. Bone stock with 25k miles, with no drag experience, and without a fresh air filter (and I forgot to top off tires), top five times and speeds were between:

1/8 ET 7.69- 7.75
1/8 MPH 95.38-95.09

Not bad for a steel frame 600 and a drag-track noob!

As soon as I have some feedback, I'll be sure to post yay, nay, or indifferent. If it's a worthy mod, I'll also post the write-up with pics and templates. BTW, I have a plan that involves NO CUTTING, so back to stock will be easy. :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The biggest gain comes from it being "cold" more dense as RAM just isn't gonna ram much at legal speeds thus no gain.

Somewhere is a chart about it and its upwards of 90mph before the frontal wave of air actually forces itself into the combustion chamber.

The greater issue for us is heat soaking the air box (sitting in traffic) which expands the air molecules making the charge less dense. This hurts performance. Another option is venting the air box so the air circulates. Right now the only way the hot air gets out of the box is by turning it to 13000 RPM. Think fresh air in from ahead of the bike and a vent out the back!

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
As soon as I have some feedback, I'll be sure to post yay, nay, or indifferent. If it's a worthy mod, I'll also post the write-up with pics and templates. BTW, I have a plan that involves NO CUTTING, so back to stock will be easy. :)

This is the only part that intrigues me - are you thinking of raising the tank or repositioning the battery? Aside from that I don't really see where you could "Ram" more air into the airbox.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The biggest gain comes from it being "cold" more dense as RAM just isn't gonna ram much at legal speeds thus no gain.

Somewhere is a chart about it and its upwards of 90mph before the frontal wave of air actually forces itself into the combustion chamber.

The greater issue for us is heat soaking the air box (sitting in traffic) which expands the air molecules making the charge less dense. This hurts performance. Another option is venting the air box so the air circulates. Right now the only way the hot air gets out of the box is by turning it to 13000 RPM. Think fresh air in from ahead of the bike and a vent out the back!

PS - If i were to go for a mod in this area, it would involve insulating the engines heat from the air box, venting the front side of the air box so the heat soaked air has a path out (it not trapped). i.e. air in front of the filter has means of being purged while underway or maybe mechanically.... Mechanically = fan, say when the temp is 10F above ambient. Thus in traffic when some of us want it to spring to life, it has cool air to inhale vs 170F air from heat soak.

• Insulate
  • Direct cool air
  • Exhaust hot air
Doing this might gain you a "tiny" something off the line but now its about investment vs return....