Rider Education

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would like some advise for MSF coaching. This is my 1st year on a street bike, racking up 8k miles of weekend riding this last season (very little chicken strips, but I ain't dragging my knees yet). I am considering taking an MSF course and would like to know opinions of the upper-basic and lower-advanced classes. Let me know your experience and opinions.

I am in North-Eastern NJ if that matters.

We have some MSF coaches out there (Erci....others), so please help

Thanks

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There are only 2 classes for you to choose from. The BRC2 (previously called ERC) and the ARC.

BRC2 is basically the same as day 2 of regular BRC, except it's on your own bike.
ARC has few more challenging exercise and is generally faster paced.

What are you looking to get from the course? We won't teach you to drag knees :BLAA:

It's the *safety* foundation and that's what we concentrate on.

If you're looking to learn to take corners at greater speeds, achieve maximum lean angles and be all around faster your time would be better spend on the track.

If you're looking to work on finesse skills (tight u-turns, smooth braking, controlled swerving) and want a refresher in terms of how to be as safe as possible on the street, both BRC2 and ARC will be good.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
There are only 2 classes for you to choose from. The BRC2 (previously called ERC) and the ARC.

BRC2 is basically the same as day 2 of regular BRC, except it's on your own bike.

What are you looking to get from the course? We won't teach you to drag knees :BLAA:

If you're looking to learn to take corners at greater speeds, achieve maximum lean angles and be all around faster your time would be better spend on the track.

If you're looking to work on finesse skills (tight u-turns, smooth braking, controlled swerving) and want a refresher in terms of how to be as safe as possible on the street, both BRC2 and ARC will be good.

Erci,

You don't have to reply to my PM, this basically answers the question I had.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks. I am not looking to drag my knees, only used that as a reference to (in)ability. As I learn more from experience, I just want to make sure that I am building on a good foundation. Real world education form the riding 'collective' and not necessarily stuff I learned which may be inefficient or plain ol' wrong.

I will look in the area for the BRC2 and ARC offerings.

Thanks

Misti

Reaction score
www.mistihurst.com
Thanks. I am not looking to drag my knees, only used that as a reference to (in)ability. As I learn more from experience, I just want to make sure that I am building on a good foundation. Real world education form the riding 'collective' and not necessarily stuff I learned which may be inefficient or plain ol' wrong.

I will look in the area for the BRC2 and ARC offerings.

Thanks

Is there anything specific you are looking to learn? I'm a coach with the California Superbike School so if there is a skill or technique you are interested in, let me know and we can talk about it.

Cheers,
Misti

Outlaws Justice

Reaction score
www.totalcontroltraining.net
For advanced Training other than getting on the race track (Which is not a bad thing) try taking the Total Control Advanced Riding Clininc. miles ahead of anything the MSF has to offer, and I teach all the MSF Programs as well.

I also would recomend the Total Control Class prior to a track day, made my first track day even better, and I have been back to the track 6 times in 6 years as a result!

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm doing the ARC this weekend. The guy that I ride with has been going to the Wednesday Night Skills practice classes (they pick 1 or 2 exercises from the BRC) and the instructor told him to skip the BRC2 (CRC, here) and just go for the ARC. I probably can outride him in everything except the dang U-turn box, although I'm getting better (practice with a bent fairing stay will keep you honest).

I also plan on doing the Total Control I & II classes prior to a track day. If I'm lucky I'll get this all in by May, before the AZ winter comes (we stay inside with the AC cranked for 4 months).

Outlaws Justice

Reaction score
www.totalcontroltraining.net
Continueing Education is important, After all most of you did not drop out of school after the thrid grade when you could read and write, you continued forward. On that note why would you not continue to learn more and new things about riding a motorcycle.

Always look to improve your knowledge and skills in this sport that we all love, not only will it make you better, but in turn it will also make you safer and the rest of of us safer as well.

Misti

Reaction score
www.mistihurst.com
Continueing Education is important, After all most of you did not drop out of school after the thrid grade when you could read and write, you continued forward. On that note why would you not continue to learn more and new things about riding a motorcycle.

Always look to improve your knowledge and skills in this sport that we all love, not only will it make you better, but in turn it will also make you safer and the rest of of us safer as well.

+1 well said :)

So, how do you go about constantly trying to improve your knowledge and skills in this sport? Riding schools, books, private coaching, practice? What are the methods that you have found most beneficial in making you a safer rider?