Winter Riding Techniques

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Coming from Las Vegas I had to adapt to this frigid winter riding here in Boise where the temps have dipped below 10 degrees F (-12 C). As I'm stopped at the red light and I look over to my left as I see a police cruiser roll up besides me and we establish eye contact, the LEO shakes his head with a smirk. Yes, it's that cold! Forget about leaning the bike over, no such thing as grip, my tires have become Flintstones tires, Rock Hard!

I would not be able to ride without my heated gear, I have a heated jacket and gloves. It doesn't keep you warm when the temps are that low, but makes it rideable.

Motorcycle Awareness? There is zero during the winter when it comes to the cagers. You need other bikes to help contribute to the cause, out of sight, out of mind, I'm on my own.

Although the primary roads are clear and dry, the median and between the lanes I find lengthy patches of packed snow and ice, and loose materials such as gravel. Swerving is not an option when it comes to corrective measures. My path of travel has become very limited, got to make it count, I have to anticipate worst case scenario well ahead of time with creativity. every vehicle I see is a threat. Riding on packed snow and ice, I might as well just disengage the front brake. Rear brakes all the way. And don't lean that bike! Side streets are bad! I have to admit, it has given my the heebie jeebies riding on that stuff.

One morning on the way to work the temps was around 10 degrees and it was snowing pretty good. Seeing a bunch of white snowflakes illuminated by my headlight as it approached my visor was a sight to see. Since it was so cold, the snow just blew off the road surface from the wind. As I looked in my mirror, my bike was like a jet creating one of those contrails that you see up in the sky. Now that was cool!

Can't let that visor fog up when it's this cold. Once it does, it immediately turn into frost. Yes, it's that cold.

I've have yet to say "Uncle" and take a taxi to or from work.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you got a pinlock for your visor? That'll stop it fogging up and freezing.

Come the summer you should have a great smooth technique after riding in these conditions. :D

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha god damn it Kenny you are something else man. A hero. Lol

I've ridden in temps getting down that low a couple times with snow/ice on the roads and learned REALLY quickly I had better pack the bike up. Not worth it man. Seriously...I want to keep reading about your awesome rides and do NOT want to load this forum up to read about any "incidents" from you.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, supertrooper I tell 'ya.
Coldest I've gone so far was 22 degrees, not even close to your 10.
Planning ahead and anticipation helps to minimize those pucker up moments.
You're right about leaning and turns and near absence of tire grip or lack of it. I had my rear tire slip enough to remind me to take it slower.
Heated gear helps to keep jack frost at bay during this season also hi viz outfit, cagers are not accustomed seeing riders this time of year.
Your my hero man, stay safe, ATGATT, and keep the rubber down.

Ares

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Kenny you never cease to amaze me! You are a rock star of sorts. I know we don't need to remind you of the dangers of winter riding but please be super carefull. I want to ride with you again. Hopefully this coming summer we can hook up. Happy Warmer New Year to you! :D

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I have definately increased my risk factor. Riding in these extreme frigid conditions with poor surface conditions is not the smartest thing to do. A very poor choice actually, but it's no different if it snows and you're in car. Even cagers are increasing their risk driving in the element, but the difference is that I am more vulnerable.

Bottom line, I never want to called a Cager.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you got a pinlock for your visor? That'll stop it fogging up and freezing.

Come the summer you should have a great smooth technique after riding in these conditions. :D
I actually think riding all year round is safer than having a six month layoff, after a lay off you have to tune back in to the bike, tyres, roads etc. Last year I was riding in 12F freezing fog and snow. Riding in snow has only caused me an issue once when it froze as soon as it hit the ground. Then it was the cagers who wouldn't give me enough space if I went down riding right on my ar5e. I parked up and hitched a lift home. This winter has been very mild 23F but it has been a really wet year.
As Kenny says you need to plan ahead, look at your braking distances and enjoy the ride.
Neil

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually think riding all year round is safer than having a six month layoff, after a lay off you have to tune back in to the bike, tyres, roads etc. Last year I was riding in 12F freezing fog and snow. Riding in snow has only caused me an issue once when it froze as soon as it hit the ground. Then it was the cagers who wouldn't give me enough space if I went down riding right on my ar5e. I parked up and hitched a lift home. This winter has been very mild 23F but it has been a really wet year.
As Kenny says you need to plan ahead, look at your braking distances and enjoy the ride.
Neil

I agree, I ride all year round as well. Though will draw the line at snow but that might change now I've got a KTM to play with as well :D

I had a forced break of 3 months a couple of years ago, due to illness not a ban ;) and struggled to get back into the groove. You defo get a feel of what the bike can and can't do when you are struggling for traction and grip. Makes you appreciate the warmer days more when you can 'make progress' lol

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree, I ride all year round as well. Though will draw the line at snow but that might change now I've got a KTM to play with as well :D

I had a forced break of 3 months a couple of years ago, due to illness not a ban ;) and struggled to get back into the groove. You defo get a feel of what the bike can and can't do when you are struggling for traction and grip. Makes you appreciate the warmer days more when you can 'make progress' lol
We are lucky to have milder winters, the UK is also very good at gritting the A roads.
Gritting is not so good here but the last two winters have been well planned for despite the recession.

Neil

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
All I picture is this is VegasRider's French cousins. Check out the studs on those tires, you should get some of those man. might be safer.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oikVxS5BS8M]CRAZY BIKE TRIP EN LAPONIE 1/2 - ICE DRIFTING IN LAPLAND - OFFICIAL VIDEO MOTO JOURNAL - YouTube[/ame]

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bottom line, I never want to called a Cager.

I'd much rather call you a cager than "my late friend"... :(

Surely you can afford a cage for the winter months, a lesser-paying job wouldn't have been able to afford to move you 1/4-ways across the country...

Kenny, I ride throughout the winter too, but if the roads are bad or it dips below 26, I take the truck; its just not worth dying over. (And, how do you keep your faceshield from frosting over below 26 F?!?!?)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
All I picture is this is VegasRider's French cousins. Check out the studs on those tires, you should get some of those man. might be safer.

CRAZY BIKE TRIP EN LAPONIE 1/2 - ICE DRIFTING IN LAPLAND - OFFICIAL VIDEO MOTO JOURNAL - YouTube

I have to figure out how to get those mittens and I think those are heated helmets? Most importantly, how and the hell can I get those studded tires. I would definately put those on my FZ, studded tires are legal here during certain months.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I have to figure out how to get those mittens and I think those are heated helmets? Most importantly, how and the hell can I get those studded tires. I would definately put those on my FZ, studded tires are legal here during certain months.

Try emailing that youtube channel, maybe the frenchies speak english and could tell you where they got the tires on the Fz8

Need to be canadian maybe

Fredette Racing Products Tires Studded Canadian stlye. Not AMA legal from Fredette Racing Products

or this guy makes his own

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohkpcaim6EU]how I made studded tyres for my xr650r - YouTube[/ame]

Azrael

Reaction score
Visit site
Coming from Las Vegas I had to adapt to this frigid winter riding here in Boise where the temps have dipped below 10 degrees F (-12 C). As I'm stopped at the red light and I look over to my left as I see a police cruiser roll up besides me and we establish eye contact, the LEO shakes his head with a smirk. Yes, it's that cold! Forget about leaning the bike over, no such thing as grip, my tires have become Flintstones tires, Rock Hard!

I would not be able to ride without my heated gear, I have a heated jacket and gloves. It doesn't keep you warm when the temps are that low, but makes it rideable.

Motorcycle Awareness? There is zero during the winter when it comes to the cagers. You need other bikes to help contribute to the cause, out of sight, out of mind, I'm on my own.

Although the primary roads are clear and dry, the median and between the lanes I find lengthy patches of packed snow and ice, and loose materials such as gravel. Swerving is not an option when it comes to corrective measures. My path of travel has become very limited, got to make it count, I have to anticipate worst case scenario well ahead of time with creativity. every vehicle I see is a threat. Riding on packed snow and ice, I might as well just disengage the front brake. Rear brakes all the way. And don't lean that bike! Side streets are bad! I have to admit, it has given my the heebie jeebies riding on that stuff.

One morning on the way to work the temps was around 10 degrees and it was snowing pretty good. Seeing a bunch of white snowflakes illuminated by my headlight as it approached my visor was a sight to see. Since it was so cold, the snow just blew off the road surface from the wind. As I looked in my mirror, my bike was like a jet creating one of those contrails that you see up in the sky. Now that was cool!

Can't let that visor fog up when it's this cold. Once it does, it immediately turn into frost. Yes, it's that cold.

I've have yet to say "Uncle" and take a taxi to or from work.

VEGASRIDER,

Slow hand clap of respect. You're the man now, dawg. I've been riding the bike to work everyday too in Jersey where the temps have dipped to around the mid-20s, but to ride in 10? Pretty damn amazing.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Might be screwed tonight, rode the FZ in this morning which was clear and it has been snowing all day. About 3 inches already on the ground and roadway.

I check the accuweather forecast every morning before I leave, check current temp and radar. I saw that snow was heading our way but the temps indicated that it would be rising to the high 30's, but it's only 24 degrees at the moment. I'd figure that the snow would melt.

Wouldn't be so concerned if I had taken the Enduro.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Might be screwed tonight, rode the FZ in this morning which was clear and it has been snowing all day. About 3 inches already on the ground and roadway.

I check the accuweather forecast every morning before I leave, check current temp and radar. I saw that snow was heading our way but the temps indicated that it would be rising to the high 30's, but it's only 24 degrees at the moment. I'd figure that the snow would melt.

I wish technology was more advanced, because if you could get a real time video blog going on, I would be glued to it. I can't even stay on 2 wheels in the dry relatively warm air in AZ. You sir are an idol. Be safe so we can keep hearing about the adventures.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Luckily the winter has been mild so far here, but for the few weeks when it really snows or freezes (when wet) I leave the bike at home (and take the train instead).
Take it easy out there Kenny, I saw this picture on a Dutch website and had to think of you:
Winterklaar.jpg

;)

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site

Did you and your FZ make it home safe? You are hardcore.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Freaking weatherman/woman should be fired! Never got above 27 degrees. Here's what it looked like in the afternoon from my work window, it only got worse since this picture was taken early afternoon. I left around 1700.

IMG_0073_zps4e341696.jpg

Here's what it looked like from my garage after I made it home incident free, which some people could not say today.

P1020215_zps8cd98caf.jpg

Did my back end slide out? Yes! Did my front end slide out from under me? Yes? How many times, couldn't count. I didn't go down, the importance of keeping your head and eyes up was the key! Look down, you're going down, because that's where you're looking.

I couldn't switch lanes so I couldn't take any left hand turns, LOL. The hardest part was once I got off the major highway, I had to negotiate the side streets which was almost impossible, but I did it. LOL..took me a while. Crappy cell phone picture.

IMG_0076.jpg

So what do I do when I get home. Take off my gear and take a hot shower? Hell no, started up the Enduro and I went riding!

P1020216_zps34202c5a.jpg

I knowingly took a big risk riding in this condition and it is not recommended! Please do not use this thread as an excuse to go ride out when the conditions are poor. But motorcycles has as much right as a vehicle, and I'm just making it clear to everyone Look Twice, for Motorcyclist even in the snow.