battery is dead

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
well this cold snap seems to have knocked out my battery, i have been on the bike for an hour and a half and if i kill it it will barely spin over before it gives up, getting around 14.6V charging. what should i be looking at in a MC battery? any suggestions?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the club, I just replaced my battery today. The 10 degree lows and 20 degree highs for the week was just too much.

I have had the Cycle Gear Megaboost battery installed for the past few years. It's good that it's guaranteed for life. Meaning that if it does not hold it's charge and fails the load test, they will replace it for free. I have gone through three of their batteries, and this replacement would have been the fourth.

But the battery is only good for about a year, and since it's a big PIA to replace the battery, I ended going back to the OEM. No aftermarket, believe it or not, the OEM parts on the FZ are great. Stock chain and sprocket lasted me over 30k , clutch cable 70k, and battery for about 3 years in the Vegas heat.

Now I'll have an extra battery when I go exchange the Cycle Gear.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
First check your battery connections for the obvious and have your battery load tested. If your battery is bad a McYuasa is a good replacement.

Sent from Moto's Droid using Tapatalk 2

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
14.6V seems pretty high for charging but I don't know what the upper limit is on charging voltage. I just went thru my electrical system and replaced pretty much everything (battery regulator & stator) different systems than you though. First thought it was the battery - replaced that, nexty replaced regulator and finally the stator which had a burned out coil. The original regulator would charge at 14V while the replacement regulator charges at 14.15V. That is with a new battery.

New battery tips (which I didn't know when I replaced my battery). Bought a Yusha from CycleGear. It came with the electrolyte in a plastic container which I installed per their instructions. Battery indicated 12.78V so installed and rode the bike as usual. What I SHOULD have done was charge the battery for something like 20 hours with a motorcycle battery charger - a battery charger than can charge at 2-4 of amps and then trickle charge. This does some magic to the battery (don't ask me I'm an electrical engineer not a chemical engineer - and I'm not going to ask my son the PhD ChemE student as that would be too humiliating) :) After that you should be good to go.

D

Dave.TX

Chances are if the battery is 3 or more years old then it's lived its life cycle and needs to be replaced. I put an Odyssey PC680 in my current bike as it gets rave reviews. The stock battery wasn't old or dying but the Odyssey really gives it more juice on startup.

Sometimes it can be as simple as a loose connection to the battery.

My truck battery almost died last winter but regained some power when springtime hit. It died in the summer.