Ignition/Battery Issue

chk.chk.go

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

I have a particularly troublesome issue, and I'm not even certain where to start as far as fixing it.

Recently on a relatively short ride, maybe 60 miles - my FZ6 started stalling out at at idle, which isn't entirely unexpected - I responded by keeping it under throttle at stops - The temperature gauge read normal, but I felt alot of heat emanating from the engine casement. Finally it stalled out at a light, and starter wouldn't kick it... pulled over to the side of the road.. figured it was the battery as I've had battery charge issues before but they had disappeared since purchasing a new one. Tried to run start it without success, then hit the starter again and it started right up - rode it home, with a couple more stalls - where the starter worked again after leaving the key in the 'off' position for a couple minutes.

Made it home, it stalled out and I left it. The temp gauge was still reading fine but the engine casing seemed hot. And the the ignition no longer seemed to work at all, displays wouldn't come on, fan wouldn't come one, it was like the battery was flat out dead.

But I checked it the next day and it was fully charged. The ignition issue persisted, with again nothing turning on when the key was in the 'on' position. All of the fuses were fine. A few days later I got ready to set about locating a loose or detached wire. And in trying the ignition once again the bike starts right up.

So here I am. Bike does have rewired headlights so both are on with a deactivated bright and aftermarket turn signals.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. oh, and the potential overheating - all fluids were fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our great forum!

I would start by checking the obvious things like the battery connectiorns. You might check where the battery negative lead (ground) attaches to the engine case /frame. This sounds like a total power loss where the gauges are also dieing which makes me think the wire that supplies or the wire that leaves the ignition switch may have an intermittent open. The ignition switch itself may be the culprit.

If your bike stalls intermittently it can be a safety lockout like the kill switch or the side stand switch but you sound like you're having a main power loss. There is also a 30 amp fuse located at the top of your battery. Check that it's seated and maybe pull it and examine the filament.