canthandlethis

Reaction score
Visit site
I just came back from a 13 month deployment from the middle east and my fz6 was sitting the whole time. what should i do before getting it back on the road? a friend advised me to empty all of the fluids out. what do you guys think? could you help?

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I would drain the tank, refill it with fresh fuel and some seafoam, and check your tire pressures. Other than that you should be fine. Your battery may be drained also, so you might have to stick it on a battery tender overnight.

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First..Thanks for your service~!! Welcome back!

Drain & replace all fluids,clean and lube the chain,etc. Battery may be an issue as mentioned before. Take care of your ride, it will take care of you!!

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
To add, check the tires for cracking. Depending on the conditions, 13 months can completely destroy a tire.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
NOTE: I'm not an expert in what to do with a bike that's been sitting for a year. I'm just trying to list common things.

Before the first ride:
-Charge the battery
-Empty and replace the gas
-Check tire pressure and inspect for dry rotting
-Holding the front brake, compress and rebound the front a bunch and check for any leaks coming from the fork seals.
-Spin the rear on center stand and look/listen for binding chain links
-Check all lights

During your first ride:
-Take it slow... the tires and your skills may have atrophied
-Make it short... ride around town, get it fully warmed up, then return for a post-ride check (again, for leaks)

After your first ride:
Change the oil.
Replace other fluids? Depends again, on when they were last changed.

There will probably be no real problems, but it's better safe to check these things out, than sorry you didn't. :thumbup:

Thank you for your service and welcome back.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
NOTE: I'm not an expert in what to do with a bike that's been sitting for a year. I'm just trying to list common things.

Before the first ride:
-Charge the battery
-Empty and replace the gas
-Check tire pressure and inspect for dry rotting
-Holding the front brake, compress and rebound the front a bunch and check for any leaks coming from the fork seals.
-Spin the rear on center stand and look/listen for binding chain links
-Check all lights

During your first ride:
-Take it slow... the tires and your skills may have atrophied
-Make it short... ride around town, get it fully warmed up, then return for a post-ride check (again, for leaks)

After your first ride:
Change the oil.
Replace other fluids? Depends again, on when they were last changed.

There will probably be no real problems, but it's better safe to check these things out, than sorry you didn't. :thumbup:

Thank you for your service and welcome back.

All fluids , clean and lube chain, check tires for dry rot and definitely check battery

buy a Haynes manual shows you everything and reminds you on others only 25 dollars for hard cover
:rockon::rockon:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Additionally it wouldn't hurt to lift the tank and seat and do a visual inspection of wires and hoses. Open the air box and make sure no one built a nest and maybe gnawed through the air filter. Don't want to start it and have debris flying down the throttles. :eek:

Oh yeah! Thank you for your service! :D

arsity

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll just add to ride and drive safe. I was once deployed and once we all came back, guys were getting killed in car & bike accidents. A lot of bad decisions are made after deployments, mainly because of alcohol. :thumbup:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 diffuse if you need to! That's the biggest thing that would help a lot of soldiers. Thank you for your service! I tried so hard to switch to a deploying unit. But testing the armies new stuff, well just wasn't in the cards. Remember you can always talk to DOC! (Being a combat medic in a non combat environment just irked me)

Anyways, you should have out stabil in your fuel, but luckily it's not that hard to take off and drain real quick. Just a a thorough pmcs and you should be good

If you haven't yet, drain old coolant of needed. You can pick up a tester for like 5$