Sitting for a week

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Hay do I need to tender my bike if it sits for 7 days with a flat tire? Will starting it every other day help? The battery is only a few weeks old.

ebk02

Reaction score
Visit site
One week should not present any problem. Only issue would be on an older battery in very cold weather. Good battery should be fine.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One week should not present any problem. Only issue would be on an older battery in very cold weather. Good battery should be fine.

+1! 2 weeks has never been an issue for mine (with temps in low 40's).

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard of people on here leaving a fully charged battery in the bike all winter and having no signs of draining. These are probably exceptional cases, however. (Newer battery, warm bike on spring start, etc)

1 week... even a month should present no problem under most conditions. Having an alarm, though, would probably kill it.

Since installing grip heaters, I've been using it every night because the charging system just isn't keeping up while commuting.

marsh0787

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had the same battery since I bought mine new in 2008. Never used a battery tender. Had to push start it after one winter. You'll be fine if your battery isn't garbage.

cmyers

Reaction score
Visit site
Hay do I need to tender my bike if it sits for 7 days with a flat tire? Will starting it every other day help? The battery is only a few weeks old.

Starting the bike every other day would likely drain the battery more than just leaving it sitting; like others have said one week, even two or three, should be no problem unless the battery is already old/week and/or exposed to cold temperatures.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Since installing grip heaters, I've been using it every night because the charging system just isn't keeping up while commuting.

You should upgrade to 68 tooth rear sprocket! Would fix that! :BLAA:

OP - I'm one of "them". A fully charged batter won't freeze and should be fine to sit for months without attention on system with no drain.

Cars do this all the time and Lead Acid batteries don't need micro managed to live a long life! Mine will get a spirited ride and parked for a couple months. Its 2008 battery will be tended to by the MICE in the barn! :Flip:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I killed my battery once last winter because I left the bike on thinking I would come back out to the shed and turn the battery off after dinner....I forgot. I rode it once every two weeks after that (winter time) and have not had a problem since.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I killed my battery once last winter because I left the bike on thinking I would come back out to the shed and turn the battery off after dinner....I forgot.

OK - help me out here; you say there were excess electrons so you left the key "on" to make sure they escaped?? :rof::rof::rof: I guess it worked!! haha! :BLAA:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh yes....
I had just put on an fe kit and wired up the plate light. Went back in the house for dinner and got my stuff ready for work the next day...lets just say I didnt ride the bike to work that next morning:spank: