any correlation here?

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
so ive been thinking recently about mods and gas mileage. and was wondering if there's any relation between the two. does anybody know their mileage figures at the following stages of modding? i guess its a kind of survey. please indicate model S1 ('04-'06) or S2 ('07+), your corresponding #, average fuelly figure, and how you ride in a nonspirited fashion (do you consistently use all 14K of those RPMs)

(1) Stock

(2) Exhaust

(3) Exhaust & Airbox Mod

(4) Exhaust & ECU

(5) Exhaust, ECU, & Airbox Mod

Me - (1) '09 S2, 48-55MPG, 5-8K RPM

Last edited:

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
Can't help you out on the bike, specifically as I did option (2) a week after I got the bike so any pre-exhaust swap numbers are meaningless.

However, I can say that on my car (V6 Accord Coupe) I did option (5) and I can say that I'm averaging about +4 mpg.

rodman

Reaction score
Visit site
I have some figures but keep in mind i ride hard all the time as i don't commute with my bike. my average trips are 50-100 miles though. stock my 2007 was getting around 46-49 mpg. now i have an aftermarket exhaust, down one tooth in the front, and did the CO mod(+19) and my mpg are now consistently 37-38. the airbox mod is next. For the record the bike is faster!!! i can feel it and my 1/8 mile times went from 8.06-8.15 to 7.6-7.7. big difference

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't help you out on the bike, specifically as I did option (2) a week after I got the bike so any pre-exhaust swap numbers are meaningless.

However, I can say that on my car (V6 Accord Coupe) I did option (5) and I can say that I'm averaging about +4 mpg.

so where are your numbers at now. the point is to post what you're getting with your current set-up. also what year is your bike?

I have some figures but keep in mind i ride hard all the time as i don't commute with my bike. my average trips are 50-100 miles though. stock my 2007 was getting around 46-49 mpg. now i have an aftermarket exhaust, down one tooth in the front, and did the CO mod(+19) and my mpg are now consistently 37-38. the airbox mod is next. For the record the bike is faster!!! i can feel it and my 1/8 mile times went from 8.06-8.15 to 7.6-7.7. big difference

your 1/8 time has to do with the sprocket more than anything since it is now geared better for accel and in the 8th you dont get into that top end range.

Last edited:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I dont have my FZ6 anymore,but it was bone stock other than the airbox being opened up,and I rode it like i do all my bikes....Hard!... and it got around 36mpg .... now I have an H.D. 883 Screaming eagle with less 2 cylinders and it only gets 33mpg straight pipe and carb jetted.... just saying

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Not sure if I should add a post here as I didn't do any of the choices listed, but since I saw a sprocket change comment I figured I's add my $.02.

2006 Yamaha FZ6, bought it used with 6600 miles in May '11, have a little over 23,000 miles on it now. The only mod I have done to the bike was to go from a 16 tooth to a 15 tooth sprocket about 6 weeks ago, other then that the bike is stock. My average MPG went from about 48-49 MPG range to 44-45 MPG. I ride just about every day commuting to work (almost no interstate or freeway travel), and on the weekends whenever I get a chance.

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
so where are your numbers at now. the point is to post what you're getting with your current set-up. also what year is your bike?
I currently get around 36, but I usually drive spirited. A few tanks I've tried to just milk (that was tough) and averaged around 46.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have done all the mods ( exhaust, K&N, remove cat and oxygen blockoff, 15 tooth front sprocket ) and my mileage is 10 - 15 mpg less than when I first bought her. She sure sounds great and runs like a bat out of hell but that's besides the point. Don't do those mods if you are worried about mileage. Just my .02 worth.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Man, I must ride slow. I've only done the exhaust (Leo Vince) and the last tank I checked mpg I got 57 mpg. Mostly to/from work, local streets, about 20 miles one way.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I never checked it before adding my open Scorps, but with stock gearing, iridium plugs, stock ECU, full synthetic oil, about 46/47 MPG around town (no freeway and mostly taking it easy, an occassional HS run)...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Man, I must ride slow. I've only done the exhaust (Leo Vince) and the last tank I checked mpg I got 57 mpg. Mostly to/from work, local streets, about 20 miles one way.

How much of this is at cruise speed (like above 40 mph)?

Not that you're asking for stock numbers; but mine is all stock and low 40"s commuting in stop and go traffic. Into the 50s when we get out for a spirited ride. The big difference is not being 1st gear idling through traffic.

Hint: 24 mile commute to work
24 miles / 0.66 hrs = average speed 36 mph (freeway and side streets)

Return trip is shorter but bumper to fender all the way:
22 miles / 1 hr = average speed 22 mph Here I'm feet down in low gear crawling and seldom hit 35mph. This is when the MPG tanks. . .

POINT: spirited rides in higher gears even whiling pulling 8K and get pretty good mpg!

Shiloh

Squire to Lord Bouche
Reaction score
Visit site
Well not any before mod data for you, but exhaust and PCV, 38 to 42 on 09 S2
ridden moderately. Probably a bit less than before the mods, but not much. And the
throttle response is much better.

Last edited:

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 07 I commute 50 miles each way to work and I cruise at 80 passing cars, 6th gear about 8k rpm I avg 45-47 mpg no major component mods

shamrocker

Reaction score
joshisingreenville.blogspot.com
I have a 2007, and have installed a TBR exhaust and K&N air filter. My average mileage has decreased from about 50mpg to 40mpg. Much of that has to do with the fact that I live quite close to work and ride the bike harder to enjoy the mods. The temperature decrease may also have something to do with it as it takes longer to warm up as I ride it in the mornings. I'd say 90% of my riding is now in town.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What is the oxygen blockoff mod?

Its the Air Induction System, AIS for short disconnect mod.. The AIS is designed to pump fresh air into the exhaust ports to clean up emissions. It has two reed valves bolted to the valve cover along with some hoses.

Basically, it replaces the system with two plates to clean up/un-clutter the top of the engine.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 07 I commute 50 miles each way to work and I cruise at 80 passing cars, 6th gear about 8k rpm I avg 45-47 mpg no major component mods

8,000 RPM . . . w/stock tire and 16/46
MPH: Gear:

36.9 1
53.9 2
67.5 3
78.8 4
88.2 5
97.0 6

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe I'm going 97 and me speedo is really off ? I'd say 7-8 k rpm to be more accurate an avg of 70-80 mph on the speedo plus weight brake drag wind resistance , I have e41 plus school supplies and I'm 200-220lbs with fear but I still get 45-47 mpg
I have pr3 I try to run 36psi f 38psi r stock gearing although I think my chain and sprocket are on the last leg. Edit I do about 7.2k rpm and I'm at 80-85

Last edited: