Race tech complete front... DONE!

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
Got the 1.1KG springs, valve emulators and preload adjuster caps installed. Wish I had pics guys, but the camera is on last legs.... and I was rushed. Cuople things I want to point out if anyone is considering the emulators. Overall, I would say medium difficult level. It is alot of work. The hardest part was drilling the damper rods. The destructions leave you hanging. The stock FZ6 damper has 3 small compression holes. Facing one, and one on each side. You have to drill the existing holes to 5/16" and add 3 more holes. I ended up copying the existing holes, but on a 90 degree axis from original. And I drilled the new holes underneath the existing. Seems complicated.. pretty easy when you are actually looking at the damper. I ended up cutting the spacers to 6 3/8" plus one washer on each side of the spacer. This gave me very close to stock set up. But I am using the preload ajuster caps, which are already 7mm over stock preload. I set the emulators at 2.5 turns of preload, used bellray 10W oil at 130mm air gap, and am at about 20mm preload. I also installed an EBC kevlar clutch(SRK51). And any of you that have read my other posts know that I have Woodcraft clip ons installed. The bike is amaizing! It feels like it is on rails! Front end dive is gone. I love the new stance with the clip ons. Feels like a different bike.... How it should have been all along! Big thanks to motojoe for the preload adjusters.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
can anybody dumb this down for me?

What are valve emulators?

The valving inside the OEM forks was gutted (drilled out) so newly installed valving (the emulators) can take control of the oil flow/compression and rebound rates. This is where the stock fork falls on its face as it does little for actual compression dampening.
Its valving can be replaced (not the whole fork) and flow control can be improved upon and even tailored to your liking with the emulators. Think of the muffler called the "SuperTrap" by adding more disks to it, you can make it quieter or louder. This is kind of like that as you control the flex of metal diaphragm by adding/removing washers IIRC which controls the rate of oil passage hence how much time it takes to compress the fork. I think rebound is via fixed orifice but I am not certain.
Drilling out the old metering orifices is a must so oil can be controlled by the new emulators. hope this kinda makes sense.
It's all inside! :thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Springs & emulators are inside the forks! But the Clips-ons and Joe's caps, those can be caught digitally! :thumbup:

Not to hi-jack, but what are Joe's caps?

Reason I ask is I'm getting ready to tear back in to my XV920Rs front end. It's totally old school and has air caps, not pre-load caps. I'd like to have external pre-load if I can.

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, "Joe's Caps" are the preload adjust fork caps. Finalimpact did a pretty good job explaining. Just want to clarify a couple points. First thing, it is "DAMPING", not "DAMPENING". Two very different things. Second, the emulators control compression only. DAMPING, ie., rebound damping is controlled via fork oil level & viscosity. This is why in some ways doing the
R6 fork mod may be better for some. For my purpose, Racetech was a better choice.

Last edited:

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
The valving inside the OEM forks was gutted (drilled out) so newly installed valving (the emulators) can take control of the oil flow/compression and rebound rates. This is where the stock fork falls on its face as it does little for actual compression dampening.
Its valving can be replaced (not the whole fork) and flow control can be improved upon and even tailored to your liking with the emulators. Think of the muffler called the "SuperTrap" by adding more disks to it, you can make it quieter or louder. This is kind of like that as you control the flex of metal diaphragm by adding/removing washers IIRC which controls the rate of oil passage hence how much time it takes to compress the fork. I think rebound is via fixed orifice but I am not certain.
Drilling out the old metering orifices is a must so oil can be controlled by the new emulators. hope this kinda makes sense.
It's all inside! :thumbup:

Thanks!!!

Makes a lot more sense to me now.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, "Joe's Caps" are the preload adjust fork caps. Finalimpact did a pretty good job explaining. Just want to clarify a couple points. First thing, it is "DAMPING", not "DAMPENING". Two very different things. Second, the emulators control compression only. DAMPING, ie., rebound damping is controlled via fork oil level & viscosity. This is why in some ways doing the
R6 fork mod may be better for some. For my purpose, Racetech was a better choice.

Example: due to excessive "dampening" Joe's new R6 forks are a little rusty inside! I get it NOW! :BLAA:
+ 1 for correcting my slop!
Sadly, Joe is not happy! :eek: :(

Edit; Poster, thanks for the Rep!

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
DHoback, now that the thread is back on topic, getting rid of the FacePlant action sure makes the bike ride WAAAAAAAAY better! I'm also very happy with the cornering ability and trust the nose explicitly. Its AWESOME compared to how it was! Now to finish what I started with the rear. . .

Good job digging in and getting it done!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Example: due to excessive "dampening" Joe's new R6 forks are a little rusty inside! I get it NOW! :BLAA:
+ 1 for correcting my slop!
Sadly, Joe is not happy! :eek: :(

Edit; Poster, thanks for the Rep!

DAMMIT RANDY!!!
You let the cat outta the bag:spank::spank::BLAA:

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
DHoback, now that the thread is back on topic, getting rid of the FacePlant action sure makes the bike ride WAAAAAAAAY better! I'm also very happy with the cornering ability and trust the nose explicitly. Its AWESOME compared to how it was! Now to finish what I started with the rear. . .

Good job digging in and getting it done!

Thanks Randy. I could not be happier with how the front responds.

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
Geez guys. Like I keep telling Joe, and this goes for you as well Randy. If you guys would just grow another couple inches and put on 30-40lbs you wouldnt have any problems. Why cant everyone just be over 6' and weigh 220lbs+:D

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Geez guys. Like I keep telling Joe, and this goes for you as well Randy. If you guys would just grow another couple inches and put on 30-40lbs you wouldnt have any problems. Why cant everyone just be over 6' and weigh 220lbs+:D

Well, between a B-day and Thanksgiving, I could see you and raise you a few lbs! :eek: :D

Besides, we're gonna have these things fully converted to Fiz'Rs if we keep this up! :BLAA: