High beam Issues

xjokux

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a tricky problem. The high beam won't work.

But if I have the bulb out it works because I can see the high beam on the dash turning on and I also have power to the plug. Once the bulb plug in it cuts out?

The bulb works because I've swapped them vice versa and same problem arises.

Sounds like its shorting out through the bulb? It was working before - months ago and now I've just started to analyze it

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a tricky problem. The high beam won't work.

But if I have the bulb out it works because I can see the high beam on the dash turning on and I also have power to the plug. Once the bulb plug in it cuts out?

The bulb works because I've swapped them vice versa and same problem arises.

Sounds like its shorting out through the bulb? It was working before - months ago and now I've just started to analyze it

Well, shorts are a path for energy to undesired locations. for example from the 12V supply at the lamp to ground. Because you're not blowing fuses and the indicator is on, you likely have something else going on as shorts blow fuses. Did you check the ground to each lamp and between the lamps?

What has been done to this bike and what style of bulb are you trying to put in the socket?

The left side (from the seat) should be the H7 2 conductor high beam.
The right side should be the H4 bulb 3 conductor, but OEM uses only the LOW beam. Assuming your's is not an N version. . .

What I suspect is you might have some feed back (12V) or enough current to light the dash light, but not supply enough energy to light up 55W for the high beam requires.

Here is a flap on back of the wire harness that can be lifted to probe and measure voltage and ground.
With a hand held meter confirm you have a good ground on both sides. From the battery Neg should measure less than 2 ohms to the bulbs ground. With the engine on and running, you should see 12+ volts on the right side, low beam and 12+Volts on left side, high beam when switched on.
Confirm the ground is good and get back to us.

View attachment 45470