Headlight/Taillight Modulators - Worth it?

Headlight/taillight modulators - Worth it?

• Yes - saved my bacon already

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No - AM/FM/XM is the only modulation I need

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a new bike owner with an '07 FZ6. Have put about 400 miles on bike and while no major cage drama yet, thinking of adding headlight modulator.

What are your thoughts are regarding headlight/taillight modulators? Anyone with significant before and after experience?

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
is the headlight some sort of strobe in the headlight? I am familiar with the tail light ones and recommend them, i do it manually if i feel that there is a cage that is not paying attention behind me.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been interested in headlight modulators myself. People are religious about if it helps or hurts. It certainly makes you more visible, but some people contend that cagers may take it that you are signalling something to them, perhaps "it is okay for you make a left turn right in front of me." I heard of one person who put modulators on his beams and in short order had two such instances as this, and chalked it up to confusion caused by the modulators. Still seems to me that the benefit would outweight the risk. The people who don't like modulators recommends steady high intensity discharge bulbs instead. I just saw a Goldwing today that had headlights so bright it looked like the sun was hanging on the nose of the bike. It would be hard to miss that one. Always drive with your highbeam on, at least during the day.

W

wrightme43

Not saying anyone is wrong. Just offering my opinion.

I have almost head on collisioned a bike with its high beams on. It was dusk. I was sick, and did not feel well. His light dazzled my eyes, I target fixated on him and found myself driving directly at him. I was in my truck. It would of killed him.
I see riders with their highbeams on, but it hurts my eyes. It aggravates me. I am sure it aggravates others. I doubt aggravated cages are as apt to be nice to a rider and give him room.
My opinons here.

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
is the headlight some sort of strobe in the headlight? I am familiar with the tail light ones and recommend them, i do it manually if i feel that there is a cage that is not paying attention behind me.

The headlight modulators I've seen are simply boxes which plug into the headlight and pulse it's output. They have light sensors which disable the pulsing at night.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I always said to myself that any money spent on my bike as far as mods go, I would first buy items that were safety related. So I started with the horn, then got sidetracked with the Puig windscreen, sliders, and my exhaust. I have always wanted to get a headlight modulator, and probably will get one in the near future. I have covered my rear end by purchasing the Hyper lites, now I will concentrate on the front. Here's the link. In my opinion, if you ride in heavy traffic, it can only be for the better.

Safety Electronics For Motorcycles

ChromeX

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, Yes & Yes.
I installed both Headlight and Stop by Ksan.
everyone behind says it really draws attention to what's slowing/stopping much more so than a constant brake light. This one pulses rapidly and slows to steady in aprox 4 seconds. It's a circuit board that has a plug for old harness and a quartz type bulb; they even give a spare or if you really need you can take the board off and just put back the regular set up.
The headlight modulator is really cool. It attaches to both bulbs (which by the way are one H4 and one H7) at low beam all is normal, switch on the high beam and during the day it flashes both. There is a photo sensor that (to be legal) when it gets dark stops the flashing and high beam stays on constant.
I like because people seem to see me i.e. move over sooner when splitting lanes or out and about 2 lane road people tend to see the flash and move over to let me by.
The ain't cheap but I'd reccomend to anyone thinking safety and has a few bucks in their pocket.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I saw a few of bikes with modulators. I found it very distracting. The one I saw from the front looked like an emergency vehicle. From the back, it looked like a distracting light show. I don't know if they are safer or not, but they looked pretty annoying to me.

Troubl

On the Group W bench
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a new bike owner with an '07 FZ6. Have put about 400 miles on bike and while no major cage drama yet, thinking of adding headlight modulator.

What are your thoughts are regarding headlight/taillight modulators? Anyone with significant before and after experience?

First, welcome aboard and congrats on your FZ!

I have the BackOFF taillight modulator installed on mine. Does it make a difference? Honestly, I don't know. However, having been rear-ended before (and getting a broken back in the process), I try to do some things to make myself a little more noticeable.

As far as the headlight modulator, you might look into the local regulations. I believe (maybe someone could confirm or dismiss this) that in some states the headlight modulators are reserved for emergency vehicles only, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Anyone know more about it than that?

Again, enjoy your new fizzer!

Keits

Dela-Where?
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
I just installed the custom dynamics Knight Riderz sequential LED light bar with flashing brake alert. I absolutely love it. Huge improvement visibility wise from the rear. Especially at night. I know not everyone will be crazy about the sequential "knight Rider" effect but they make a non sequential one too.

Check it out
Night Rider LED Light Bar

No pics yet. I will have to bust out the new digi cam and see if I can record video......
Oh...Not 100% on the legality of the sequential knight rider light. The non sequential should be completely legal but check your local laws

Last edited:

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
Headlight modulators on cycles are legal in all 50 states and Canada. I've had one on my Venture for years. Been pulled over three times for a "malfunctioning" headlight. Never got a ticket after the officer finds out they are legal. I keep a copy of the law (comes with the modulator) in the trunk of the bike for those LEO's that are unfamiliar with the law.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed the custom dynamics Knight Riderz sequential LED light bar with flashing brake alert. I absolutely love it. Huge improvement visibility wise from the rear. Especially at night. I know not everyone will be crazy about the sequential "knight Rider" effect but they make a non sequential one too.

Check it out
Night Rider LED Light Bar

No pics yet. I will have to bust out the new digi cam and see if I can record video......
Oh...Not 100% on the legality of the sequential knight rider light. The non sequential should be completely legal but check your local laws

That thing looks pretty slick, where did you mount it? i am thinking across the top of the lic. plate?

Troubl

On the Group W bench
Reaction score
Visit site
Headlight modulators on cycles are legal in all 50 states and Canada. I've had one on my Venture for years. Been pulled over three times for a "malfunctioning" headlight. Never got a ticket after the officer finds out they are legal. I keep a copy of the law (comes with the modulator) in the trunk of the bike for those LEO's that are unfamiliar with the law.

Thanks for the info! :thumbup:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I've always been hesitant about headlight modulators. At least around where I live, people tend to flash their headlights at other vehicles to indicate it's ok to pull out in front of them. I'd be afraid someone would mistake the modulation of my headlight for this and pull out in front of me!

Brake light modulators, on the other hand, are fantastic! I actually just installed the Back Off XP brake light modulator on my FZ and I love it. While I was at it I decided to add a set of Hyper Lites brake lights. I really love this set up and have been told it works great at catching your attention. Here's a video of my set up so you can see what the brake light modulator and Hyper Lites look like together:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7Jfu7gNYak"]YouTube - Hyper Lites in action with Back Off XP module[/ame]

The Back Off XP has two different settings that you choose from when you install it. You can either have it flash 3 quick flashes and solid on for a few seconds then repeat, or have 5 quick flashes and solid on as long as the brakes are held. I went with the 5 quick flashes option. If I need to make it flash again, I just release the brake and reapply.

Oh, and the Hyper Lites are BRIGHT! It came down between these and Lifebrite LED brake lights. There isn't much difference. I just decided to go with the Hyper Lights.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There has been some debate whether headlight modulators are effective. Yes, it attracts attention, but there were some debate that it may confuse drivers. I have discovered Hyper-Whites, made by the same company that produces the Hyper Lites, the LED flasihing brake lights which I have installed on the back of my bike. They claim that these white running lights that are installed on the front of the bike are 10 times brighter than their brake lights. If anyone have seen my Hyper-lites, they are freaking bright. So these Hyper Whites are very very bright. You even have the option of having them modulate, but they are not technicaly legal. Only headlight modulators are legal. I guess there is an on off switch.

Hyper-White

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, Yes & Yes.
I installed both Headlight and Stop by Ksan.
everyone behind says it really draws attention to what's slowing/stopping much more so than a constant brake light. This one pulses rapidly and slows to steady in aprox 4 seconds. It's a circuit board that has a plug for old harness and a quartz type bulb; they even give a spare or if you really need you can take the board off and just put back the regular set up.
The headlight modulator is really cool. It attaches to both bulbs (which by the way are one H4 and one H7) at low beam all is normal, switch on the high beam and during the day it flashes both. There is a photo sensor that (to be legal) when it gets dark stops the flashing and high beam stays on constant.
I like because people seem to see me i.e. move over sooner when splitting lanes or out and about 2 lane road people tend to see the flash and move over to let me by.
The ain't cheap but I'd reccomend to anyone thinking safety and has a few bucks in their pocket.

Didn't find Ksan, but Kisan: Safety Electronics For Motorcycles
Nice safety stuff.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Knight Riderz

Someone suggested Knight Riderz on another forum for my Vstar 1300. I put one on my Vstar 1300 recently and like it. It has 3 wires to connect: brake light, running light, and ground. I used some T taps I got a Walmart for about $1.38. The install was easy and I mounted it by removing the reflector above my license plate and placing it there. More light back there at night is good.

Enough about the Vstar now... So, I like it so much, I think I want one for the FZ6 (it was only ~$30 shipped for the non flashing, non sequencing model).

If anyone's installed one, where did you mount it and where is a good place to splice into brake light, running light, and ground? anyone have the wires figured out -- i.e., where and what color?

Only place I can see to mount it is on my license plate (as Rob suggested above); but then, I bet some trooper bozo will say they couldn't read my plate because the red was too bright. Maybe mount it right onto the tail light lens. I'm tempted to get the sequencing model but not sure about the NH laws about this. I think light like that in the back would be kind of cool.

Thanks,

Dennis