Need Jacket Opinions

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Im new to the site, picked up my Blue '07 just 2 days ago and im looking for a jacket, I found a few that I like based on style safety and multiple environments I need to ride in, 4 seasons here in NJ. If you have one of these or just an opinion on them I would love to hear before I order. What better place to ask but in the FZ6 forums!! :rockon:

Choice 1

Choice 2 - More for summer but should be able to wear something under this for cool weather.

Choice 3

Choice 4

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have one but I think this jacket has got to be one of the most versatile jackets out there for all weather types. Cortech by Tour Master Accelerator Series 2 Motorcycle Jacket :: New Enough, LTD

Given your location, you'll likely end up with two jackets, a mesh for hot weather and a textile or leather for cold weather. Check out New Enough Motorcycle Apparel sells motorcycle jackets, pants and suits, boots, gloves, helmets, etc :: New Enough, LTD for pricing but even more important is click on the jackets you want and read "Paul's Comments" at the bottom of each item. He's honest and very descriptive. He's even got stuff he doesn't recommend you buy! :D How cool is THAT!?!?

W

wrightme43

Just my opinion. You will end up with several jackets and pants and gloves and helmets.

Buy jackets, pants, and gloves based on the season they will be used.

Early spring, late fall, mild winter. Waterproof, windproof, with removable liners, and zip open vents for as the day warms up to a high of 70-73 or so then down to a low in the 45 area.

Winter below 45, or around 45 and rainy. Get a suit one piece.

Warm days, perforated leather or mesh gear. I have both. I like the perforated leather, but over 85 stopped its just uncomfortable and you cant take it off.
Mesh is comfy up in the high 90s for me. I carry a couple of bottles of water in the tank bag. Stop buy a bottle to drink, drink it. Fill up the empties in the bathroom, pour one all over the jacket, and one all over me. Gear up and ride. Its like a super cooler. They even make a cooling vest.

One jacket just wont cut it for all around. Trust me. Get the one you will like best for warm weather now. You will be getting another one. LOL

AlanB

Reaction score
Visit site
Cortech GX Air is armored mesh outer, wind/raing liner and quilted liner. Between the three options, it has kept me comfortable from 40 to 95 degrees. Since I only have one jacket, this works well for me.

ccasey6

Reaction score
Visit site
I own a Scorpion Stinger Jacket and just bought a Scorpion Cool Rod Jacket this past weekend. I haven't been able to ride with the Cool Rod jacket yet but I can tell you that it was by far, the most comfortable jacket that I tried on. I tried the Alpinestar Air Flo Sniper Jacket which just felt "weird" on me. The armor seemed to sit wrong and it felt tight in various areas while it was loose in others. I also tried a Joe Rocket Atomic 3.0 which fit well but the back armor sat too high. As for my Scorpion Stinger Jacket, it is a great jacket. I live in the D.C. area and have ridden in 85 degree heat in the Stinger without too much problems. Don't get me wrong, it was hot, but not unbearable. I would highly suggest Scorpion gear to anyone. I currently ride with a Scorpion Exo 700 helmet and absolutely love it.

Pondrat

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Although I haven't received it yet (and therefore actually worn it), I've heard great things about my new purchase, the Teknic Freestyle. Check out a great discussion on it here:

Just Bought a new Teknic Freeway Jacket - ADVrider

It looks like you were looking for short jackets, not below-the-waist options, but this jacket is just barely below the waist and (again, I've heard) that it makes a difference in the cooler temps.

One of my biggest concerns when searching for the Holy Grail of jackets was that many jackets that said they were waterproof and "4-season" or "all weather" had waterproof INNER zipout liners. This is all well and good if you know for sure it's raining when you leave. But, if you get caught in the rain, this means pulling over, taking off your gear, zipping in the liner (which can be a PITA in a lot of these jackets), getting all wet in the process, then putting the waterproof jacket over your wet torso. I tried to hunt for jackets that were waterproof on the outside, but this limits your venting options as it's tough to be truly waterproof and have lots of holes for air. Again, as most have already said, you'll probably end up with 2 or more jackets when all is said and done, so a warmer waterproof jacket with limited vents paired with a mesh jacket for the hot weather (80+) will probably work out great.

The other option to keep in mind is waterproof rainsuits (which are cheap) that go over your existing jacket. This eliminates the getting wet part of the zip-in liners and also allows you to go for a better vented option.

Other jackets I considered were:

Tourmaster Flex (a short textile that converts to mesh)
Tour Master :: Textile Jackets :: Flex Series 2 Jacket

Firstgear Teton (short, a bit expensive)
Teton
(did you notice the model is standing next to an FZ6? Fate perhaps?)

Joe Rocket Alter Ego 2.0 (won gear of the year award from WebBikeWorld in 2007 - but I just didn't want to be another dude with JR stuff :Flip:)
Joe Rocket Alter Ego 2.0 Jacket at BikeBandit.com

Teknic Sprint (claims to be 100% waterproof outside AND converts to textile - to good to be true? I read lots of good reviews, mostly about the 2007 version)
Teknic Sprint All-Weather Riding Jacket at BikeBandit.com
Teknic Sprint Jacket - Teknic Sprint II Pants - webBikeWorld

Tourmaster Transition (kinda like a longer version of the Flex)
Tour Master Transition Jacket at BikeBandit.com

GOOD LUCK! and let us know what you end up with and how it works out.

Peace,

Mike

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
All four look nice. If those were my selections I think I pick the Fieldsheer. It seems to be a nice three season jacket.

As Wrigthme43 stated you'll end up with at least two jackets.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cortech GX Air is armored mesh outer, wind/raing liner and quilted liner. Between the three options, it has kept me comfortable from 40 to 95 degrees. Since I only have one jacket, this works well for me.
Cortech/Tourmaster "Intake" was my first jacket, sounds similar. It coulda sufficed as my only jacket, but inserting/removing the quilted liner took too much time, so I got a Firstgear "Kilimanjaro III" for winter wear (it's also 3/4 length, which helped in the winter). Toasty warm down to 22 F, I can't ride any colder as my faceshield kept frosting over. (both brands also come in Talls, kind've a rarity)

flyer34

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Joe Rocket Alter Ego (linked above). You can remove the sleeves and 80% of the chest/back outer layer to reveal a mesh inner layer. I've worn it in mid 40F weather with a North Face fleece and long sleeve shirt underneath and was comfortable. I've also worn it in 90F with a short sleeve shirt underneath and it's reasonably cool as long as you're moving. Ultimately the most important feature is that it comes in a Large-Tall size. :p I have pretty long arms and it fits perfect.

I'm new to riding and this is the only jacket I own, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I've been really happy with it so far.

Pondrat

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I forgot one jacket - and it looks to be EXACTLY what you're after. The only catch is it isn't available in the US! Sooooo, if you're up for a trip to Europe anytime soon and/or have family/friends who could ship it to you, I'd say this is the best jacket going:

Rev'it! Raptor Textile
pg 76 in the online catalog
Rev'It | visualized by V1 Retail

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Firstgear Teton (short, a bit expensive)
Teton
(did you notice the model is standing next to an FZ6? Fate perhaps?)

Sidenote...but I believe that's an FJR the model is standing next to. See the hard saddlebag in the background and the sharp edge on the tank? Man...I've still got it! :rockon:

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree that you will need at least 2 jackets to cover the seasons. I just got an Olympia GT air jacket: Olympia Moto Sports - Bushwhacker Mesh Tech 3/4 Systems Jacket

I am hoping that this will be my 60 degree+ jacket. I have an Olympia AST to cover the cooler temperatures. I also have a Tourmaster Intake mesh jacket that the GT will replace.

As for your choices: I would be careful jackets without CE armor. I would also try to get Cordura, leather or kevlar in the elbows/shoulders. Jackets that are waterproof (like my AST) are great for the fall, winter and spring, but even with vents, they are stuffy in late spring and the summer. Mesh is great for summer, but under about 65 F you need another layer. When you add that layer, then it becomes harder to regulate your temperature.

This is where I hope that the GT shines. I can wear it without a liner on 55-60F mornings and start opening vents if it warms up. I don't really like the waterproof liners that go under the jacket (because the jacket gets soaked, so I plan to wear the rain liner on the outside. Anyway, with my AST and GT I hope to be covered for all seasons

D

Deleted member 2349

i have both a tourmaster flex 2 and coaster 2.

Flex 2. 3 parts, quilted inner liner(took it out and it prolly won't return). I rode this morning with the mesh inner and rain shell it was about 50F when i left the house. Got up to mid 70F when I left work. Mostly city driving and I was starting to get sweaty. Got home and dropped the shell and went for a cruise; for me the mesh felt great for mid 70's. I think i was getting sweaty due to a lack of air movement not temp. Like wearing a rain poncho.

Coaster 2. 2 part, leather outer with lining. I rode home from the shop yesturday wearing the coaster 2(leather minus the liner). It was still mid 70's at the time but with a bit more open road. so the stop and go in the sun was not as bad. It had great air circulation with all the vents open.

All in all both are great for my different riding days.