Riding in Jeans? Think again...

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I remember there being adverts in the motorcycle test centre about why you shouldn't wear jeans on a bike.

Atgatt for me

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I saw that this week and I went out and got a set of textile pants for winter and summer.:rockon:

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1st time I went down I ripped a new hole in my arse......never just jeans again.....:spank:

Rippedjeans.jpg

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
1st time I went down I ripped a new hole in my arse......never just jeans again.....:spank:

Rippedjeans.jpg

What do you wear on short rides?

Lookin for something to wear for small rides to the store. I think I just might pull the triger on the BMW pants. :eek: Leather makes me fill like robo cop just to go to the store for 5min.:(

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i think the kevlar draggin' type jeans would be much better than regular jeans. Armoured textiles and leathers would obviously be better still.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an older pair of Joe Rocket jeans with steel thread woven into panels behind the knees and butt. I wear them the most since they're pretty comfortable and a single layer clothing (I wear my textiles as overpants).

I wonder how they'd hold up. I've never ridden in street clothes.

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site
Saw that earlier in the week, ouch!

Now looking for a good pair of pants or type of armor, to wear over, or even under, my jeans.

That pic of his knee is really gnarly.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yikes! I wonder if the jeans with Kevlar sewn into them would have helped more. Thoughts?

They should be a little better and maybe give a few more feet in a slide but there are other factors to consider. As with any gear those Kevlar panels have to stay in position where the weight is bearing down on the material so if the jeans are loose the panel may be elsewhere. The other factors are impact protection and that is also very very important.

I have ridden down the street in my jeans. For those rare occasions I will get Kevlar jeans but everything else is full gear for me.

I've gone down twice in full gear. Even in full leathers I've had damage! :eek:

rsw81 (Doctor Rob) would periodically check up on me.
Thank you Rob?

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Wardrobe malfunction. He's got the best gear to choose from but Wes would rather "look cool".

I think he looks pretty stupid and feel bad for the medical staff that had to deal with his stupid arse.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
still better than shorts and flip flops. i have yet to find it, but there used to be ads in motocross magazines that said "STUPID HURTS" and had pictures of guys riding in the wrong stuff, like a guy with flip flops, an apron, oven mitts, and a bicycle helmet. cant find them online and ive thrown the mags away ages ago.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Myself, as maybe the majority of riders, often wear jeans. I am aware of the lack of protection they offer (no need for education here). I also don't gear up for bicycle riding.:eek: No, I'm not trying to emulate Tom Cruise in "Top Gun."

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Wardrobe malfunction. He's got the best gear to choose from but Wes would rather "look cool".

I think he looks pretty stupid and feel bad for the medical staff that had to deal with his stupid arse.

I think he explained it fairly well in his article.

I tend to agree with him.

I am almost always ATGATT but there are times where I will take the risk and choose to wear jeans instead of my textile pants.

It's not even about looking cool. Because, hell I think I look cooler when looking like Mad Max, lol.

Sometimes I will compromise to save on time or how comfortable I would like to be.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Looked at some kevlar lined jeans last weekend at Barber's Vintage Festival. Talked the the guy who owned the company - he was wearing a pair of the jeans and they looked great. Could not tell they were riding jeans. The Kevlar lines the jeans and stops at about the top of where a boot would end so your whole leg would be protected as long as you were not wearing tennis shoes or flip flops. Have been meaning to look into the jeans and this gives me a big prod.

MapleJeans.com