Hyper-Lites

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Dealing with the heavy traffic here in Vegas everyday with all the knuckle heads who may not be paying attention, I've decided to purchase some additional lights that serve as dual auxillary running lights, as well as brake lights which also flashes for 5 seconds, then goes to a solid red. I purchased them online from Hyper-lites. Cost was $100 with shipping. I decided on the 16 led dual functioning brake and auxillary lights. I know there are a lot of other brands and immitations for a lot less money, but these lights are freaking bright. Thes pics do no justice, see them in person and they practically will blind you. I'm verry happy with my purchase.

Hyper-Lites Motorcycle Safety LED Lights and Bungie Buddies

ADK2OBX

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good and a great idea.. I can remember many times looking in my rear view while at a red light watching the car driver behind me become startled and step on the brakes cause they were not paying attention... Def gonna look into L.E.Ds..

D

Deleted member 2349

I know LEDs are brighter than stock bulbs. do they make just a replacemet plug for the brake light that i can swap for an LED version?? I agree, they look like they'll work great...Just wish i could find a pattern like this:Flip:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I know LEDs are brighter than stock bulbs. do they make just a replacemet plug for the brake light that i can swap for an LED version?? I agree, they look like they'll work great...Just wish i could find a pattern like this:Flip:

I thought about doing the same thing but Admin recently posted a review about LED replacement brakelight bulbs. After watching the video, it appeared that are original stock bulb performed better than most of the LED bulbs. So I opted for the Hyper lites. Now, I have a total of three brake lights. But to be honest, those Hyper lites are so damn bright, that it takes away the brightess of the stock brakelight, making it almost non-existent.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/motorcycle-news/4214-more-motorcycle-led-lights-compared.html

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I'm going to put Hyperlites dual running and pulsating brake LEDs on my bike. Owners seem to like them (especially Vegasrider, who so vigorously endorses them that I wonder if he is a secret stock holder). I was looking on Hyperlite's web site, and they say that California has a code that specifically states at what rate taillights can blink at (spending time on such vital things as that must be the reason that the Legislature cannot pass a budget).

Anyway, I wonder if any of you have Hyperlites in CA. If so, did you get the CA version, and do you like them (they pulse more slowly)? If you got the normal version that blink quickly for a couple seconds then go slowly, have the police ever given you any problems with it?

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeh there is a law here in oz to say speed of flashers, if only the manufacturers, would use these lights all round and then cut down on the size of the lights and the ugliness of them.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I'm going to put Hyperlites dual running and pulsating brake LEDs on my bike. Owners seem to like them (especially Vegasrider, who so vigorously endorses them that I wonder if he is a secret stock holder). I was looking on Hyperlite's web site, and they say that California has a code that specifically states at what rate taillights can blink at (spending time on such vital things as that must be the reason that the Legislature cannot pass a budget).

Anyway, I wonder if any of you have Hyperlites in CA. If so, did you get the CA version, and do you like them (they pulse more slowly)? If you got the normal version that blink quickly for a couple seconds then go slowly, have the police ever given you any problems with it?

I've ridden in California for the past two forum group rides, and I haven't been bothered by the cops yet. During your install, you have an option not cut a certain wire that will confrom to the California law. Very simple.

I will like to inform everyone that their customer service is excellent. You can get a hold of them thru their 800 line or e-mail. I had portions of both lights burn out and they sent me replacements right away, no questions asked. They just wanted the defected units back in return, which I did, placing them in the prepaid postaged envelope that they sent with my new lights.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I've ridden in California for the past two forum group rides, and I haven't been bothered by the cops yet....snip

I'll add to this: I have ridden behind Vegasrider on these rides and they catch my attention each time he applies the brakes. I would imagine that the effect would be even more pronounced at night. I'm considering getting this myself.

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good and a great idea.. I can remember many times looking in my rear view while at a red light watching the car driver behind me become startled and step on the brakes cause they were not paying attention... Def gonna look into L.E.Ds..

I got the tail light that starts by flashing and diminishes into a solid brake light. The web site animation is bad. The transition is actually much smoother.

Kaisan:
Safety Electronics For Motorcycles
20W-D Integrated unit Dual-contact bulb

Just swap it out for your current bulb. Don't touch the bulb glass with your fingers or it will burn out quickly.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I got the Hyperlites installed a couple of weeks ago, in the same configuration as Vegasrider shows on the first post of this thread (LEDs mounted on arms of rear turn signals. I did find that the viewing angle has a pretty strong impact on how bright they appear to be. If they aren't angled properly, they won't look as bright. I'm not sure if I have mine angled right. I'll need to examine that a little more closely. It's mounted with double-sided sticky tape, so it's not the easiest thing to adjust.

As I'm in California, and CA apparently has a law about how many time a brake light can flash, I was looking into how to get a CA-legal version of these things. The Hyperlite website says they have CA-legal version, and I sent an email, but they never responded. Further up in the post, Vegasrider states that there is a wire you can cut to make the CA-legal. There is a wire you can cut, which converts from constant flashing to flashing for five seconds before going solid. That still is not CA-legal. I think the light is allowed to flash three times before going solid. So in the end, I'm not sure how to get a CA-legal version of these things.

I've posted a couple of pics of how it was installed. The first two are from Vegasrider - he sent me two pictures showing how he routed the wires from the flashers, mounted on the turn signals, along the top of the turn signal wiring channel covered with tubular wiring armor (thanks VR!). The third picture is how I did it. That channel that has a removable protective covering that goes from the flashers to the left "pod" (plastic bulbous thing protruding from the side below the seat). The fourth picture is the view with the pod removed, and this is where you tap into the brake lights. The three red things are the "PosiTaps" that tap into the brake ground line, running light line, and brake light line. The blue and brown wires going to the right out of the picture go to the LEDs. At about 8 o'clock from the PosiTap, you can see a bit of the controller (that sends the blinking signal to the LEDs) and I found a little "cave" I could tuck it into.

All in all, it took me about 3 - 4 hours. Just disassembling the rear enough to get to the wiring was the most time consuming part.