Ice Racing. Anybody interested.....

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I've been thinking more and more about it. Having missed the last two months of track days in a 4 month season, I am kinda let down. So I think this is the winter I finally look into ice racing.

Anybody here have any experience with it?

Anybody else been on the fence about it? Let's research it together!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeooooooooooooooooo

:Flip: to you winter!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX_weIUwd_o&]EXTREME 258 KM/H SUR LA GLACE : MATCH PORSCHE GT3 RS FACE A YAMAHA YZF 1000 R1 - YouTube[/ame]

Edit: Link to our local circuit.... Cool....

http://nascc.ab.ca/racing/ice-racing/

Edit 2: I'd imagine it would actually be a HUGE help for getting more comfortable with the front/rear squirming loose.....

Last edited:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If anyone was crazy enough to do this, You'd be the one I'd pick Lone! :BLAA:

Lolol

I was watching the video and the thought struck me.

I can not think of one rational reason NOT to do this.

God I love having an irrational mind sometimes.

It's the BEST! Haha

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I will do this some day on a dirt bike. I would definitely say you should do it on a dirt bike/ sumo or something very similar, not a sportbike. Half of the fun of ICE (from what i've been told) is the extreme lean angles you can get...you can lean a DB much more than a fat and short sportbike....plus WINDCHILL!!!!!! and the costs are always less on DBs.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The only thing missing is a hungry polar bear chasing you around the circuit! :rof:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I had 4 cube in my Makers Mark. But I did work on cars and build my own race car too. Racing on ice is freaking crasy! Sorry for the expression, but Dude..n you need balls!!! The grip is twice better than pavement and visibility is frim zero to minus 10! I remember going flat with my modded civic hitting the rev limiter at 8k in 4th gear not seing anything pass the front bumper but a glare of brake light from the car in front if me. That was when I figure out I'll be better off with the mechanical side of racing...

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Defy,

Yeah I think I would probably be using a borrowed DRZ650. But I have to figure it all out I think this circuit is just for cars the bike one might be different. Never really looked into just had friends who talked about it from time to time.

I had 4 cube in my Makers Mark. But I did work on cars and build my own race car too. Racing on ice is freaking crasy! Sorry for the expression, but Dude..n you need balls!!! The grip is twice better than pavement and visibility is frim zero to minus 10! I remember going flat with my modded civic hitting the rev limiter at 8k in 4th gear not seing anything pass the front bumper but a glare of brake light from the car in front if me. That was when I figure out I'll be better off with the mechanical side of racing...

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

Lol. This makes me excited and want to do it more.

Edit:

Found the link!

http://www.aeira.com/

Going to look into it before I decide for sure, but I am pretty excited at the prospect. Pretty sure I'm going to be this guy haha:

3telford2011.jpg

Last edited:

Rebuilt

EX Fazer still love em !
Reaction score
Visit site
The only thing missing is a hungry polar bear chasing you around the circuit! :rof:

that would be fine but the tricky bit would be strapping a cam to its head so whillst it followed atleast it could film you :thumbup:

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks cool (no pun) my first reaction watching the video seeing the bike speed was something im not aloud to type.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Scroll to the VERY bottom - for traction tires. . .
http://www.kevinscycleracing.com/tires.htm

Discalimer from above site: "WARNING!! STUDDED OR SPIKED TIRES WILL NOT KEEP YOU FROM FALLING OR CRASHING WHILE RIDING IN SNOW OR ON ICE. THEY WILL NOT KEEP YOU FROM BEING INJURED IN THE EVENT OF A FALL ON SNOW AND ICE." :( :(

We used to run our sand rail dune buggies in the snow and ice, never had spikes but talk about a "drifting rush" which can be problematic pending on how far one drifts off course!

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
When I first started roadracing I started looking for something to do in the winter. Yep, I agree :Flip: winter! Around here, we ride dirt bikes on frozen lakes and ponds. We use hardened and sharp edged (special) sheetmetal screws screwed in to the knobs. Larger displacement bikes will use longer screws which requires a liner on the inside which is usually an old stree tire with the sidewalls cut off. Pretty inexpensive and a ball to do. It's very much like dirt track or flat track. The feel is very much the same.

We don't seem to get the low temps that we used to and planning on having ice is hit or miss. Some years the bike just sat in the garage all winter with no ice.

Good luck at it. You'll absolutely have a fantastic time.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use to ride my YZ250 dirt bike in the snow and ice growing up. It was tons of fun except when you bail. Now snow is softer than pavement but ice is pretty much the same as pavement. We did not have spikes in our tires back then. Go for it LONE. I'm sure you will have a gas! :cheer:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFjDio0sUYU]Quand les Gladiateurs font des courses de tronçonneuses (Gladiators racing on chain Saws) - YouTube[/ame]

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Many years ago my buddies and I would screw in little studs that looked like sheet metal screws into into our dirt bike tires. We would ride all winter on frozen ponds. When the ponds were just frozen without any snow we could ride but couldn't stop. The ice was so slippery if we stopped we would almost always fall when we put our feet down.

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Years ago(when I was a kid) they use to have ice racing on the lake with bikes and cars but one year a bike racer went down and got run over by a following bike. The bike ran over the guys neck/face area and he died. The racing stopped shortly after. Maybe they have changed things to prevent this from happening.

I myself won't hesitate to run some spikes in my tires and try it on the lake but not sure about having someone chasing me with big flesh ripping spikes in their tires. :eek:

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to ride my dirt bike in the snow and few foolish trips on the ice W/OUT traction as seen in this thread! Talk about doing the splits and being slammed down. Snow was much safer! Not long after gave up on the bike in the cold took the sand rail out! Turning brakes work great in the snow and ice as does 180 hp! That was soo much fun but god awful cold!

Don't think I'll do a bike in the snow or ice again. . . Don't bend as well as I used too! :(