Tell me about New York

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all

As you can see from my location, I live in the UK.

An opportunity has arisen where I could move to the US and I'd need to be based somewhere near(ish) to NYC. Obviously Manhattan is going to be expensive but can anyone give me some info about good places within commutable distance etc? I have to admit to not knowing a whole load about anything outside of Manhattan as that's all I've seen as a tourist.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I would say avoid Staten Island and Bronx.

Staten island is a bitch to commute to Manhattan.

Bronx hmm... well I don't know that much about where's safe etc.

Don't go to East New York. (that's east Brooklyn)

Brooklyn all round seems pretty safe to me.

I live in Greenpoint and Wiliamsburg. Pretty hipster neighborhoods in Brooklyn but also are really close to the city so the commute is fairly easy both by a motorcycle and a subway.

In regards to Queens.

There are some parts of Astoria that seem pretty ghetto to me. Though I wouldn't necessarily say they are all that dangerous.

Elmhurst is fairly safe. Corona Park might be kind of safe too.

Staten island is fairly safe for the most part. there are some ****ty parts there but I don't know that much about it.

Check out forums at City Data for more info. They will really help you out!

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all

As you can see from my location, I live in the UK.

An opportunity has arisen where I could move to the US and I'd need to be based somewhere near(ish) to NYC. Obviously Manhattan is going to be expensive but can anyone give me some info about good places within commutable distance etc? I have to admit to not knowing a whole load about anything outside of Manhattan as that's all I've seen as a tourist.

if you want a great place to live and ride, consider northren nj or rockland / orange counties in NY state. Easy train commute to the city and the riding access is wonderful!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've lived in NY (Brooklyn) for 15 years, but moved to NJ about 12 years ago.
If I can help it, I hope to never live in any of the 5 boroughs (The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, Manhattan). People are mean, always in a rush, parking sucks, zero courtesy .. I pretty much hate it all. There are some nice areas, but they are not the norm.
Certainly there are pros, like amazing restaurants within walking distance and public transportation which will get you anywhere.. though subway STINKS!

Central/Northern NJ, on the other hand, will put you within ~ 45 minutes of the city. Nicer people, easy parking.. just a nicer environment to be in, all around.

Everyone's different and many enjoy city living. I'm just not one of those people.

Oh.. lots of great roads to ride on in NJ too :thumbup:

Just to give you general idea of the area I'm talking about: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=40.91455,-74.383141&num=1&t=m&z=10

Manhattan is Southeast of it.