SPI heated grips

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at this kit I'm seeing a high wattage resistor which leads me to believe the that the Hi-Lo switch setting is done using that resistor. This means finding a home for this hot resistor and keeping it electrically isolated at the same time. This would mean you have to find and home for it on the bike that fits those constraints. Other types of grips use a solid state controller with out the need for a resistor.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at this kit I'm seeing a high wattage resistor which leads me to believe the that the Hi-Lo switch setting is done using that resistor. This means finding a home for this hot resistor and keeping it electrically isolated at the same time. This would mean you have to find and home for it on the bike that fits those constraints. Other types of grips use a solid state controller with out the need for a resistor.

Which ones would you recommend?

I want to keep my grip puppies though.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
There have been times I'd like to have had them but most times I don't need them. I dunno..Google time? :)

Well yeah. Mr.-I live in Sunny California-Motogiro.

If I wouldn't live in a sucky a$$ New York City where there are actual winters I wouldn't need grip heaters either.

;p

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
did you ever consider using?

handguards + winter riding gloves
heated gloves wired or battery operated

I've installed handguards before with winter riding gloves and it works to a certain extent or at least depends on how cold do you actually go out riding. Only catch is, these gloves are thicker and may hinder dexterity.

Presently, I've installed Givi brand shield that has an extension on the side, this extension functions as built in handguards without the appearance of such. I rode this morning with this setup (49degrees) and my hands was just fine, the extension directed the wind away from my grips and hands.

I'm hoping to get some nice battery heated gloves, some brands can last 3+ hours and some has heat settings. You can always carry a spare battery if in case you run out of juice and best of all you can keep your grip puppies.

ares

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well yeah. Mr.-I live in Sunny California-Motogiro.

If I wouldn't live in a sucky a$$ New York City where there are actual winters I wouldn't need grip heaters either.

;p

You made me spit my drink LOL! :rof:

did you ever consider using?

handguards + winter riding gloves
heated gloves wired or battery operated

I've installed handguards before with winter riding gloves and it works to a certain extent or at least depends on how cold do you actually go out riding. Only catch is, these gloves are thicker and may hinder dexterity.

Presently, I've installed Givi brand shield that has an extension on the side, this extension functions as built in handguards without the appearance of such. I rode this morning with this setup (49degrees) and my hands was just fine, the extension directed the wind away from my grips and hands.

I'm hoping to get some nice battery heated gloves, some brands can last 3+ hours and some has heat settings. You can always carry a spare battery if in case you run out of juice and best of all you can keep your grip puppies.

ares

Those are great alternatives! I wear my Kevlar gloves and they're usually sufficient for my cold mornings here. The guards would be a great addition for me,

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
You made me spit my drink LOL! :rof:

Those are great alternatives! I wear my Kevlar gloves and they're usually sufficient for my cold mornings here. The guards would be a great addition for me,

I considered the hand guards. But ever since I got the taste of the sweet sweet luxury of my grips magically caressing my hands with heat. It's just to die for.

Unfortunately I only got to try them on a BMW bike. They were nice OEM internal ones. No freaking wires anywhere.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
There's someone on another board I belong to that has successfully installed these under grip puppies and loves them. The only issue is flexing on the wire on the throttle side. If you want to try it check out this thread. I can testify that the guy selling these still has them and might even take $15 shipped. DAMHIK.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
Heated gloves are loads better than heated grips as the whole hand is warm not just what's gripping. Hand guards or bar muffs help if you just want grips, all depends on how cold it gets.

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
I have used Dual Star grip heaters on various bikes and love them. No resistors and they do have a high/low settings. I currently have them on my FZ6 and XR650L.

Heated Grip Kit

I have grip puppies on one of my bikes and they heat just fine through them.

I also have a couple pairs of heated gloves. They work fine but have drawbacks. They do keep your hands from getting ice cold but they do not keep your hands warm. If they did then you will sweat and the gloves get wet. But in combination with heated grips it can get real cold out and still be rid-able.

Marc

Last edited:

eh89

Reaction score
Visit site
my friend used these heated pucks that slide into the handlebar for his klr, they were meant for snowmobiles or other winter vehicles as on the highest setting they got the grips *extremely* hot to the point you couldnt hold onto them. I don't remember the brand he used but they work great and were *really* cheap, less than $50 for the set.
I found one product similar to them online but they're pretty pricey
Buy Now: Heat Demons Grip Warmers Heated Grips | Same day ship