MSF Lessons Learned

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Where did you take the MSF course?

What bike was used?

What did you learn in the course that you probably would not have picked up on your own?

--

Me:

County community college.

Yamaha V-Star 250.

Downshift into first before you stop, then left foot down. And the concept of countersteering.

Rebuilt

EX Fazer still love em !
Reaction score
Visit site
"West country rider training" Plymouth UK

Learnt on a Kawasaki ER 500... was fun till i had to get back on a little 125 cruiser i had ...wheres the power gone arrrrr !!!!

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Wilmington, DE
Buell Blast 250
Don't brake while the bars are turned.
A dozen other tidbits.
I think about, and give a mental nod to, my coaches Pat and Bruce a few times every week. When I'm on the road in certain situations, it's like they're on my shoulder.

Heck - I still think about Mr. Dunbar, my driving instructor from 18 years ago from time to time.

fazed_ya

Reaction score
Visit site
Wilmington, DE
Buell Blast 250
Don't brake while the bars are turned.
A dozen other tidbits.
I think about, and give a mental nod to, my coaches Pat and Bruce a few times every week. When I'm on the road in certain situations, it's like they're on my shoulder.

Heck - I still think about Mr. Dunbar, my driving instructor from 18 years ago from time to time.
Buell blast is a 500cc one lunger

shamrocker

Reaction score
joshisingreenville.blogspot.com

What bike was used?

What did you learn in the course that you probably would not have picked up on your own?

--

Illinois Central College

Honda Nighthawk 250cc

All of the things that must be factored before riding safely; ie mental state, safety gear, pre-ride checks, weather, alcohol, rest, distractions, etc.

rivettm

Reaction score
Visit site
Cambrian College, Sudbury Ontario Canada

I was on some sort of dirt bike provided by the class.
Stopping and then starting again on a hill. Pretty much have to use every limb.

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
TEAM Arizona

Gilbert, AZ

Honda CRF240 Enduro

I learned that if you don't turn your head and look where you want to go you don't turn very well at all. Also, that you can get on the peg feelers in the turns during their exercises...:thumbup:

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
Bike: Brand Spankin new Yamaha XT225
Lesson: "Intentionally spin the rear wheel one more time and you're kicked out of the class!" - in response to me showing the rest of the class how to do a burn-out while the instructor was distracted. What can I say, I was 17 at the time :spank:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Illinois Central College

Honda Nighthawk 250cc

All of the things that must be factored before riding safely; ie mental state, safety gear, pre-ride checks, weather, alcohol, rest, distractions, etc.

I was waiting for someone to chime in about the classroom portion of BRC! Actual motorcycle operation aspect of it is great and sure we can take people who've never ridden before to "riding" in just 10 hours on the range, but the real knowledge.. the bit that'll keep you safe out there, teaches you where you should be looking, space cushion.. all that good stuff.. that's classroom! :thumbup:

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Bike: Brand Spankin new Yamaha XT225
Lesson: "Intentionally spin the rear wheel one more time and you're kicked out of the class!" - in response to me showing the rest of the class how to do a burn-out while the instructor was distracted. What can I say, I was 17 at the time :spank:

LOL - nice.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I was waiting for someone to chime in about the classroom portion of BRC! Actual motorcycle operation aspect of it is great and sure we can take people who've never ridden before to "riding" in just 10 hours on the range, but the real knowledge.. the bit that'll keep you safe out there, teaches you where you should be looking, space cushion.. all that good stuff.. that's classroom! :thumbup:

Good point. Even tiny things like grabbing the front brake getting on/off. It seemed dumb at first but I do it now every time and it does really stabilize the bike. One day a sloped/unstable parking spot will come out and go BOO.

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

What bike was used?

--

Some evening classes & a weekend of riding, both at area high schools here in Virginia.

I grabbed a Rebel 250.

We spent day one of riding in the rain, so that was cold & interesting. Counter-steering, looking through your turns, emergency braking... all good stuff. And mind the throttle...that's the tough one on the FZ :D :D :thumbup: :thumbup:

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Piscataway, NJ
I can't remember which 250cc I learned from but there were several brands.
Best advice I took from it is the "head check" and T-CLOCS before each ride.
Our instructor is a local sheriff, he sure made everyone pay attention.

ares

Last edited:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
BRC at T.E.A.M. Arizona in Gilbert

Honda CRF250L

I learned to keep my head up and look where I want to go. I also kept doing tiny stoppies getting the back tire up an inch or two each time, so they told me to give more rear brake and I kept locking up the rear brake. I just was really good at stopping quickly usually 4-5 feet shorter than where the guy would stand for everybody else to stop by.

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
Grand Valley State University
1997 Honda Nighthawk 250

I learned to push harder and faster.

Learned how to do the figure 8 without putting my feet down at all.