Will this draw any power if I leave it plugged

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Will this draw any power if I leave it plugged in

I've got a 12V outlet wired directly to battery (with an inline fuse).
I have one of these plugged into the outlet to charge my phone:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042B9U8Q/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01]Amazon.com: Griffin Powerjolt Dual Universal USB Micro: MP3 Players & Accessories[/ame]

Do you think this thing draws any power if the it's not plugged into any device?

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
It shouldn't, or at least I wouldn't think it would until something is actually being charged by it. One way to tell for sure would be to use a amp meter and see if it's drawing any power

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It shouldn't, or at least I wouldn't think it would until something is actually being charged by it. One way to tell for sure would be to use a amp meter and see if it's drawing any power

Hmm.. how the heck do I measure amperage on this thing though?

CIrrthum10

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Will this draw any power if I leave it plugged in

Amazon.com: Griffin Powerjolt Dual Universal USB Micro: MP3 Players & Accessories

Do you think this thing draws any power if the it's not plugged into any device?

I have the same thing on mine. It doesnt seem to be drawing power from mine. I just use it incase i need to quickly charge the battery. Its really nice

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm.. how the heck do I measure amperage on this thing though?

Depending on what type of amp meter you have either slide it over or clip it over your hot wire for the outlet with the adapter plugged into it.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Depending on what type of amp meter you have either slide it over or clip it over your hot wire for the outlet with the adapter plugged into it.

Ah.. mine only has the 2 pins.

Radio%20Shack%20Digital%20Multimeter%2022-810.jpeg

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not exactly the greatest either lol I know just enough to get myself in trouble

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Most DMMs have ammeter capability. You don't need an inductive current clamp.

Thanks for clearing that up! (by which I mean I don't have THE slightest idea what you've just said :rof: )

I just ordered one of these though :D

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DV8PV2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00]Amazon.com: Digital Clamp AC DC Volt Meter: Home Improvement[/ame]

metallicat

Reaction score
www.KhandrosDesigns.com
Agreed you should be good - the circuit won't be closed unless you connect something to it (or it gets very wet :) ). Only caveat is if there's an LED (which there doesnt appear to be in THIS unit) - it can drain you battery slooooowly - if you don't touch it for > 2-3 weeks. :BLAA:

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cell phone chargers draw such little power even when the phone is plugged in. Without the accessory plugged in you really have nothing to worry about.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Any device and in this case a voltage regulator, can draw some current even though it is not connected on the USB side of the device. Keep in mind that not all devices are engineered the same with equal components. This device converts the nominal 12-13 vdc to 5 vdc.

Your digital volt meter (DVM) has a setting for measuring small amounts of current such as this device.

Break the positive wire connection to your accessory socket, put the meter in the mA mode, and use the 2 wires on your meter to complete the circuit you've opened. In other words, your meter will be in series with your positive wire and current will pass through your meter as part of the circuit. If the device draws any current you will see it on the meter. :)

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com

Amazon.com: Griffin Powerjolt Dual Universal USB Micro: MP3 Players & Accessories

The biggest concern I would have, is that the circuit provides far more current than USB specs used to allow..... Last time I checked, USB specified 1/10th of an amp available on a USB port. This thing can allow as much as 2 amps on a port... 20X what USB used to allow. Maybe that's changed in the past 10 years. Still seems like a lot of current for things designed to use less.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

The biggest concern I would have, is that the circuit provides far more current than USB specs used to allow..... Last time I checked, USB specified 1/10th of an amp available on a USB port. This thing can allow as much as 2 amps on a port... 20X what USB used to allow. Maybe that's changed in the past 10 years. Still seems like a lot of current for things designed to use less.

That circuit will only use the amount of current that's needed regardless of the current capability of the supply. As long as the supply voltage to the USB device is the 12 volt nominal voltage you're good to go. If the supply voltage was like 30 volts then we'd have a problem. :)

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site

Erci, I stayed at a Hoilday Inn last night so here's the straight story.

Your screwed... the only way you can fix such a big screw up is to ride your bike to California where Cliff and I can visually check this device. After several runs up and down Montezuma Rd. we will be able to determine the answer to your question.

Until then don't sweat it, leave it plugged in a few weeks without riding and try to start the bike :)

Glad I could help!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Erci, I stayed at a Hoilday Inn last night so here's the straight story.

Your screwed... the only way you can fix such a big screw up is to ride your bike to California where Cliff and I can visually check this device. After several runs up and down Montezuma Rd. we will be able to determine the answer to your question.

Until then don't sweat it, leave it plugged in a few weeks without riding and try to start the bike :)

Glad I could help!

That's not a bad idea. Erci, I'm afraid you'll have to bring the bike here and we'll have a look at it and test it on Monteezooma Valley Rd! :rockon:

The best way is to test that device to see for sure if it's drawing current. Why guess and dump a battery... I'm sure it's a small amount when idle but to be sure....:rolleyes:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com

That circuit will only use the amount of current that's needed regardless of the current capability of the supply. As long as the supply voltage to the USB device is the 12 volt nominal voltage you're good to go. If the supply voltage was like 30 volts then we'd have a problem. :)

If you have a completely discharged battery, how close to a 'short' does that look to the voltage source?

My concern has more to do with recharging batteries without damaging them than operating a device with a full charge on it. NiCad, NiMh, Li, all have different charging characteristics. Most can accept a low current intake without damage..... 20X the possible current may mean that the battery can suck up juice 20X faster than the device mfg allowed for....

If the gizmo plugged into the port has no current regulation circuitry of it's own, and is expected to be limited by the USB port itself it can draw much more current much more quickly than anticipated.

Do you think it likely that a gizmo sold online as cheaply as this one has current regulation built in? When it states that up to 2 Amperes are available on one port? I'd HOPE a $2-500 phone would be able to limit it's intake current....