Help! Turn Signals Aren't Working!

pcm2015

Reaction score
Visit site
So I was practicing soldering before I took on an electrical job on my bike. I took the stock signal connector I had cut off my stock signals and tried to solder them back together. Currently I'm running LED front signals with and LED integrated tail light. I hooked up the stock signal to the left front just to see if it would work, thinking this would not be a problem because I had installed a custom flasher relay from Custom LED which is supposed to automatically adjust the load. It worked at first, but then I thought I heard a very low pop, and now none of my signals work. The flash on the speedometer doesn't even work. I replaced the fuse in the right side pod, and tried checking all the connections to the signals. I don't see anything wrong, so what am I missing?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Was the fuse that you replaced blown? If you had a dead short you may have blown the electronic flasher before the fuse blew. Disconnect the lamps and test for voltage coming into the flasher. One wire should show 12+ pos. VDC.

If you've shorted the running lamp circuit it blew the same fuse that the flashers uses.

Turn your key on do you have running light voltage?

pcm2015

Reaction score
Visit site
I wasn't sure if the fuse was blown so I replaced it with the spare just in case. I will have to go get a circuit tester before I can check if it is supplying power, and I don't have the running lights wire hooked up. Is the electronic flasher part of the speedometer? I'm still pretty new at this so still a bit of confusion as to where everything is. Also, on the LED tail light, when I pull the brake, the brake light still lights up, but I think I usually have a running brake light, and it's not on, would that be part of it?

pcm2015

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried a circuit tester to the running wire and the flasher wire to the ground, and it doesn't seem that either are receiving any power to the signal. Does that mean I need to retrace it all the way back to the speedometer flasher? And if so, would it be part of the wires on the left side of the front fairing?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wasn't sure if the fuse was blown so I replaced it with the spare just in case. I will have to go get a circuit tester before I can check if it is supplying power, and I don't have the running lights wire hooked up. Is the electronic flasher part of the speedometer? I'm still pretty new at this so still a bit of confusion as to where everything is. Also, on the LED tail light, when I pull the brake, the brake light still lights up, but I think I usually have a running brake light, and it's not on, would that be part of it?

The running lights and directional flashers run from the same fuse. The flasher relay has 2 wires. One is brown with a green tracer and the other is brown with a white tracer. The brown with the green tracer should have 12+ positive volts when measures against ground. If there is no voltage there you will have no tail/running light or directionals.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried a circuit tester to the running wire and the flasher wire to the ground, and it doesn't seem that either are receiving any power to the signal. Does that mean I need to retrace it all the way back to the speedometer flasher? And if so, would it be part of the wires on the left side of the front fairing?

You prolly have a blown fuse. The instrument cluster just has lights and gauges. It's not the culprit...

pcm2015

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I disconnected the flasher relay and touched together the two pin slots with the circuit tester, and it doesn't seem that I'm receiving power to the flasher relay, which means it must be before that then, correct? What would be next, the signal fuse? As you know, I replaced the signal fuse on the right side cowl. The only other fuse I know of is the main under the tank. Is there another? Goodness, this is frustrating. Ha ha.

pcm2015

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, you were right. I'm an idiot. I replaced the turn signal fuse before when it still wasn't working, but I didn't even think about the tail light fuse. I was just fiddling around and replaced that fuse, and viola! The system works again, and all lights are running. Next time I'll be sure not to hook up a regular bulb into the led system again. I appreciate the help Motogiro. Thank you a hundred times over.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, you were right. I'm an idiot. I replaced the turn signal fuse before when it still wasn't working, but I didn't even think about the tail light fuse. I was just fiddling around and replaced that fuse, and viola! The system works again, and all lights are running. Next time I'll be sure not to hook up a regular bulb into the led system again. I appreciate the help Motogiro. Thank you a hundred times over.

You're not an idiot! We're all constantly learning and help each other out! :D

That's great that you got it going again!