Connecting aftermarket, exhaust pipes, and header.

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
When connecting TB aftermarket pipes, cans, down pipe and stock headers. Is there anything to make a "sure seal" alternate than from just a aftermarket (Two Brothers) metal clamp? Is there something I am missing? I noticed the header has metal/mesh gasket to attach the cataytic down pipe and another connecting the top of the down pipe to stock muffler.

Do I just re-use/replace the stock metal/ mesh gasket on the header and the stock down pipe? It doesnt look like these are removable or easily removable.

Just want to make sure exhaust is free of leakage... Please help.

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure what it's called or what it's made of but where any of the pipes slide over one another there is some sort of gasket, it looks very similar to cork. Is that the metal mesh gasket you are talking about?

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
The metal/mesh that is lined on the inner stock pipe where the pipes slide together. By several inches from the o2 sensor on the header, where the down pipe connects and where the top of the down pipe connects to the stock muffler.

On the aftermarket TB Y pipe and the Arrow down pipe. There is only outer clamps where the pipes slide/connect, no inner gasket. Should I be putting a gasket sealant Or sealant where these pipes slide connect, in unison with the clamps?

Not sure about the cork part you mentioned on the stock pipe setup. Other than where on the stock pipes the steel mesh I think fuses to the pipe on the far inside of the tale end of the header pipe. What I could only describe as black, and I think asbestos, maybe?

-Anywho I think we should be good to go. Checked a few shops, they all claimed just bolt together the aftermarket pipes. I was thinking the heat alone where the aftermarket pipes slide together, will just expand the metal and create a seal itself. I bought the extra cat free downpipe. Just to see the sound difference. The stock cat/down has to be at least 5-7lbs.

Last edited:

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
I received my Ceramic coated headers today. I thought I would post up a before and after pics. I also resolved my pipe connecter situation with a tube of Permatex- "High Temp RTV Silicone" to boot. Well its time to assemble.:thumbup:

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I received my Ceramic coated headers today. I thought I would post up a before and after pics. I also resolved my pipe connecter situation with a tube of Permatex- "High Temp RTV Silicone" to boot. Well its time to assemble.:thumbup:

Those look really sweet, can't wait until you post several pics of them installed!

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure what it's called or what it's made of but where any of the pipes slide over one another there is some sort of gasket, it looks very similar to cork. Is that the metal mesh gasket you are talking about?

I could be wrong... But I believe what the metal mesh/rope and black substance fused to is referred to as Never-seize. Not exactly sure where you would pick up the mesh rope inner pipe liner. I decided just re-use the old where the header connects to the down pipe.... After that I will just go with the black RTV silicone with the Two Brother portion of the exhaust.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That gasket:

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2009 FZ6 (DARK PURPLISH BLUE METALLIC X) - FZS6YL EXHAUST Diagram willl come off and isn't secured by any means, just squashed between both pipes.

The Yamaha manual DOES NOT state it needs to be replaced upon dissassembly/re-assembly.

If it appears in good shape, I'd leave it. For cheap insurance and NO "do-overs" you can replace it... Just go slow and be carefull it doesn't get torn up when sliding the inner pipe back in...

Note: When I installed my aftermarket pipes, I left in the cat and re-used the same seal at the north end of the cat, no leaks.... If sticky going back in, a little bit of oil on the pipe / seal will help, it'll stink some once hot, but it'll burn off....

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
This won't work for the header/cat connection (too hot), but for sealing leaks between slip on aftermarket exhausts and the pipe coming out under the seat, there's this stuff called self-fusing silicone tape (Also known as F4 tape). It is good to about 500 degrees F, and forms a completely airtight seal. It was designed originally by the military. It is incredible stuff. Worth buying some just to play with even if you aren't going to use it to seal exhaust leaks. It only sticks to itself, so it is really easy to use and comes off without leaving any residue.
Here's an example: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/F4-Tape-Self-fusing-Silicone-Oxide/dp/B001HETINI]Amazon.com: F4 Tape Self-fusing Silicone Tape Red Oxide: Home Improvement[/ame]

It's not cheap, but nothing good is.