Scorpion cans

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
I've just been offered 1yr old scorpion slip-ons plus cat eliminator pipe for a very reasonable price. Taken from an identical bike to mine.

Has anyone here an opinion either way as to why I should/shouldn't get them?

My main interest is that the bike will be a bit louder - good as I commute/filter a lot through London - but I'm a little concerned about tuning/fuel consumption. I understand there is a fractional performance gain tho.

Would I be better off also upgrading my airfilter for better flow? I tend to run everything as standard but letting cagers know I'm coming would be a safety improvement for sure.

I even have approval from The Pillion!!!:rockon:

Waddayareckon?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've just been offered 1yr old scorpion slip-ons plus cat eliminator pipe for a very reasonable price. Taken from an identical bike to mine.

Has anyone here an opinion either way as to why I should/shouldn't get them?

My main interest is that the bike will be a bit louder - good as I commute/filter a lot through London - but I'm a little concerned about tuning/fuel consumption. I understand there is a fractional performance gain tho.

Would I be better off also upgrading my airfilter for better flow? I tend to run everything as standard but letting cagers know I'm coming would be a safety improvement for sure.

I even have approval from The Pillion!!!:rockon:

Waddayareckon?

I have Scorps on mine and love them. No other mods, I left the stock cat in. (I understand its a bit louder with the cat taken out).

With the cat in, stock air filter, no juice box, runs great, idles dead steady. Normal riding it is louder but not obnoxious. Cages generally hear you vs the stock muffler.

I'd swear its faster (sounds faster), be forewarned, above 7-8,000 RPM's, without DB killers, it sounds like a go fast, liter bike and friggin screams!

With the DB killers in it is much, much quieter (Mine got removed before leaving the driveway). IMHO, I'd leave the cat in, if its not loud enough (I'm sure it will be) you can pull it out later...

Didn't notice any differences to speak of mileage wise.

Pillion found the rear seat slightly cooler as well..

Last edited:

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Met a guy with scorpions on the fz and they are a really nice compromise between the full on scream of other cans, and the pi$$ed off sewing machine sound of the stock pipes. Kinda made me jelly.

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
Townsend dude those pics look awesome.
I'm convinced already!
Thanks for the advice too. I guess I'll be leaving the cat in place first off.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard removing the cat can have a detrimental effect on torque.

I have the below Scorps, I bought at a VERY good price on these here forms, and absolutely LOVE them.

I have never taken the db killers out, and according to my phone app sound meter, they are just as loud as the stock (84db) but they sure SOUND louder (much more growly)

Pedestrians certainly notice my bike more, before crossing the street - and when you blip on downshift coming up to the lights, it is certainly more audible. (giving cagers another sign you're slowing down, and thus increasing safety.)

On the road, at city driving speeds, you can hear them, but they are certainly not obnoxious - and the same for highway speed.

The Scorps site says they were manufactured to fit straight on without any tuning, so they wont make your bike run too lean. (benefits can be seen with tuning though)

Mine are straight on, I removed my PCIIIusb as it made my bike run too rich (and I can't afford to have it dynoed yet)

Just be aware though, they have the potential to significantly raise your fuel consumption....

As I find myself just nailing the throttle for no other good reason than just to hear them growl!

Best mod ever!

Cheers,
Rick

Exhaust_zpsac060694.jpg

Exhaust2_zps22d01157.jpg

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard removing the cat can have a detrimental effect on torque.

I have the below Scorps, I bought at a VERY good price on these here forms, and absolutely LOVE them.

I have never taken the db killers out, and according to my phone app sound meter, they are just as loud as the stock (84db) but they sure SOUND louder (much more growly)

Pedestrians certainly notice my bike more, before crossing the street - and when you blip on downshift coming up to the lights, it is certainly more audible. (giving cagers another sign you're slowing down, and thus increasing safety.)

On the road, at city driving speeds, you can hear them, but they are certainly not obnoxious - and the same for highway speed.

The Scorps site says they were manufactured to fit straight on without any tuning, so they wont make your bike run too lean. (benefits can be seen with tuning though)

Mine are straight on, I removed my PCIIIusb as it made my bike run too rich (and I can't afford to have it dynoed yet)

Just be aware though, they have the potential to significantly raise your fuel consumption....

As I find myself just nailing the throttle for no other good reason than just to hear them growl!

Best mod ever!

Cheers,
Rick

Exhaust_zpsac060694.jpg

Exhaust2_zps22d01157.jpg

I would seriously consider pulling the DB killers out and just try it(one bolt in each pipe)... Think it growls now, you'll hear some serious growling with them out...:thumbup:

zackeeboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Made the decision at the beginning of this summer to get mine, and haven't regretted spending the money yet! They sound amazing (and I have DB killers in and did not remove the cat). Like previously said - you get higher RPM's and it's all you'll want to hear all day! Not to mention I love the look. I vote YES
View attachment 44914

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would seriously consider pulling the DB killers out and just try it(one bolt in each pipe)... Think it growls now, you'll hear some serious growling with them out...:thumbup:

I'd love to - but don't want to just in case I like it!

(I leave for work at 0400 - and ALWAYS warm my bike up for at least a min, until the idle settles as the choke closes, and my neighbours will not be impressed!)

LOL!

Cheers,
Rick

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd love to - but don't want to just in case I like it!

(I leave for work at 0400 - and ALWAYS warm my bike up for at least a min, until the idle settles as the choke closes, and my neighbours will not be impressed!)

LOL!

Cheers,
Rick

Even with the DB killers out, its slightly louder than stock, but I truely don't believe they'd bother your neighbors, even that early, as long as you keep the RPM's low (its still warming up anyway) when leaving the neighborhood..

Just a thought, its only two screws total...

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
Well they're on guys!

They are the exact model and finish as in Scot's earlier thumnails. Stainless tri-lobes.

They sound freakin AWESOME!:rockon: I've been out lookin for bridges to ride under!:spank:

I left the db killers out and hit the rush hour - for about 2 hrs.:Flip:
I seemed to have a new level of confidence in heavy traffic too, just grabbing a handful and going for gaps.

They look great too, but I now have one big headache of a problem......:(
My Givi top box rack fittings wont re-attach or even quite fit around the cans.
Going to need to make some serious mods to get it right.

Anyone had similar woes? I really need the box and pannier racks all the time.

One other slight prob is what to do about the little plastic shape that fitted around the old pipes just below the tail light. It just sits there looking a bit out of place so I'm thinking of removing it altogether.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well they're on guys!

They are the exact model and finish as in Scot's earlier thumnails. Stainless tri-lobes.

They sound freakin AWESOME!:rockon: I've been out lookin for bridges to ride under!:spank:

I left the db killers out and hit the rush hour - for about 2 hrs.:Flip:
I seemed to have a new level of confidence in heavy traffic too, just grabbing a handful and going for gaps.

They look great too, but I now have one big headache of a problem......:(
My Givi top box rack fittings wont re-attach or even quite fit around the cans.
Going to need to make some serious mods to get it right.

Anyone had similar woes? I really need the box and pannier racks all the time.

One other slight prob is what to do about the little plastic shape that fitted around the old pipes just below the tail light. It just sits there looking a bit out of place so I'm thinking of removing it altogether.

Glad to hear you got them on, sound great don't they? I'm not sure how the racks mount, perhaps a couple of pic's posting where they interfere with each other may help with a fix (if someones already dealt with it please disregard). Is it possible to rotate the mufflers some to gain the clearance you need? I know the actual clamp around (with inner rubber) has some play...

Its been awhile since I put my cans on but I don't remember any issues with the plastic at the rear of the bike filling in the gap inbetween the pipes. If you have the stock fender, it looks like that center piece does help hold up the rear fender.

If the lower fender is gone (fender eliminator) you can either trim it neatly with a small Dremel rotary tool OR, so you don't have a gap there, make up a small bracket out of thin aluminum, attach it to the lower part of it, then to the Scorpion mounting plate (or other solid object)...

Last edited:

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I got my scorps fairly cheap too. Best decision I ever made for the steed. I don't regret a single penny of it. The bike sounds amazing, it is what I consider slightly loud - so if you come to and from your house at early hours of the night/morning - that's definitely one thing to consider that I overlooked.

The bike looks great too with them IMO. I haven't noticed any real improvement or loss in either horsepower or gas mileage. I DO backfire though from time to time, especially if engine braking hard - but I enjoy the backfires, it adds to the character of the bike I think.

I say go for em, you won't regret it.

View attachment 45023

mduhon

Reaction score
Visit site
I have had scorpion cans since I bought my bike, and never had a second thought about them! They sound amazing and look even better :D When idling they are fairly quiet and wouldn't bother neighbors at all. They don't even both people at my house when I have left or come home at 4 in the morning. When driving on the hwy I can't really hear them at all but going through a tunnel or under a bridge... You'll never want it to end! :thumbup: I don't believe I have db killers in there because of how loud it is. Everyone I ride with is jealous of the sound my bike puts out.

I haven't found any downfall to fuel consumption as I have gotten between 44-54 MPG depending on where I'm riding. Hope this helps.

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to all who posted!
I'm going to have a good look at the bracket assembly today to see if I can figure out some compromise.

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
Scott, I see what you did by rotating the cans. Yes they are offset so in the position you have them they do not spread so much. I have had to do the same.

I found the problem with the Givi rack arms and fittings is that the original plastic shroud tapers towards the rear of the bike so all fittings are shaped and welded to suit.

Having ridden around for a day without the rack, happy as a hooker who's just won the lottery, I decided to strip it down and start over, this time with an eye on making all the bits fit.

I can tell you it took some bullying and bending of brackets but I just about managed with the cans rotated as suggested. I take 'The Pillion' out quite a bit and she likes the box in place so she can relax against it. More for security for her and very practical for me as I travel always with a lock/chain and my 'wets' and spare gloves. You know how you cram all sorts into a cage's glove box? Well my top box does that for the bike.

Sad really as I got to find out just how agile this bike is without all that extra weight. A real hoot!:BLAA:

Think I'm gonna ride without the box more often now!!!

Last edited: