ECU reflash

tanman

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wondered if anyone here has had their ECU reflashed for better throttle refinement. I'm seriously considering having mine done but its going to cost me £300 minimum. Quite sizeable considering how much I really want a new rear shock. Any info would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure someone on this forum must have had it done ? Dan

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You can get the stock ECU reflashed, and it fixes everything from the on/off throttle surge, to the high engine braking of our bikes.

It frees up a few ponies and indeed allows the engine to run more efficiently. (esp. on higher octane fuel)

(Yamaha, like all car/bike manufacturers have to design in 'idiot-rider' protection to ensure longevity of their product)

The ECU reflash also raises the rev limit, before the limiter steals the fun.

I only know this as I also looked into it and had several emails from ECU Unleashed. (link is a bit of blurb about them, and what they do)

Here is the link for the S1 Fizzer

Here is the link for the S2 Fizzer

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
You can get the stock ECU reflashed, and it fixes everything from the on/off throttle surge, to the high engine braking of our bikes.

It frees up a few ponies and indeed allows the engine to run more efficiently. (esp. on higher octane fuel)

(Yamaha, like all car/bike manufacturers have to design in 'idiot-rider' protection to ensure longevity of their product)

The ECU reflash also raises the rev limit, before the limiter steals the fun.

I only know this as I also looked into it and had several emails from ECU Unleashed. (link is a bit of blurb about them, and what they do)

Here is the link for the S1 Fizzer

Here is the link for the S2 Fizzer

Cheers,
Rick

So, the manufacturer claims.... The simple fact of the matter is, I have yet to read of one person who has re-flashed there FZ6. I did some more diving into this product/topic a couple months ago. Not to bash the Italian manufacturers product. But it took me several attempts to get in contact with this vendor. When I did, they seemed accommodating.

On the other hand, Getting a hold of a tuner in the states of there product was a little different story. My guess is the Cal-state tuner is no longer in business. Of the 4 tuning shops I attempted to get in contact with. 1 was ready to do Buisness. The second was ready to do buisiness but wasn't very enthusiastic about the product. And The third a Reputable tuner shop in another state, I had even heard of; first claimed they needed software fixes, then claimed the software will fix the engine braking but won't completely resolve the abrupt throttle response.

On an alternate note, people on this site and other sites have swore up and down
What agreat product it is for alternate bikes.

My biggest dilemna with this product; is will it work? If I have the re-flash can a vendor tune around an alternate vendors product..? In the great state of California. It's a little discouraging to say the least, the only certified partnered vendor within the state, with the manufacturer is no longer in business... Well enough of my rant....happy hunting.

Last edited:

tanman

Reaction score
Visit site
From what I understand the stock ECU is not re-flashable..(true or not?)

Most (again from what I understand) just move to a power commander, install it and prosper..

I've had a power commander but I didn't get it dyno'd and used a pre programmed tune. Although it still won't ever be ale to fix the throttle issues regardless of dyno time. I've found a company who have done an fz6 both first generation and s2 in the uk not too far from me. I will have to give them a call and ask about the results. I was just wondering if anyone had the work done to give me an idea of the results. I can't seem to find anyone who has had it done to an fz6. If I ever end up getting it done I will be sure to let everyone know the results. The throttle never really bothered me but over time the throttle is becoming more and more annoying.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm trying to figure out how you can reflash the existing ECU fuel management and still maintain healthy A:F ratios without a sniffer. I believe in putting the bike on the tread mill and tuning. Why would unlocking the rev limiter make any sense when the bike is beyond it's useable powerband at 14k where the limiter is set now? I could see it if you put the money and technology in the top end and you where producing power there. :confused:

CowtownBiomed

Reaction score
Visit site
Seeing as Tanman already had a power commander installed, I think I would have saved up for the new shock first then some dyno time.
From looking at the price for the reflash I think the dyno would have been the better option. because without some "before" runs, you won't know if it has improved or not.
That and the software to upload your own maps.

Forgive me, I'm relatively new to these machines, but, what are the "throttle issue" you refer too?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The throttle issue is snatchiness on and off. Some say the Power Commander solves this issue. :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The throttle issue is snatchiness on and off. Some say the Power Commander solves this issue. :)

Its about re-wetting the intake from an off state to an on state where the response is flat and delayed. I've found that shifting down takes care of this as the throttle chop is mostly nill over 6k so don't let up! lol

Up a couple posts; I see no need to rev the engine any higher (14K), the fuel chop, timing/advance in lower gears, and smooth fuel delivery would be great but I too sit on the fence as they will apply what they know and thats that. I would like to be able to tinker in case its not proper and thats not viable option in this path without sending it back.

ECU Unleashed and FZ1, R6, R1 will have allot more hits for reading.

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
If I understand correctly. Once the ECU has been re-flashed and derestricted. You still have to tune with whatever the product has left you with, after the flash. Bring in the Power Commander or A/F ratio module. Seems an awful lot riding on what the unknown will be. I would definately use a shop to closely monitor what is being done....with probably a few dynos along the way.

Sounds good.... Flashed ECU, Power Commander, dual adjust front and rear susoension, brake upgrade. :cheer::cheer: no specific order.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Motojiro! Nice sig dude, too funny.

"When you removed the book from the cradle, did you speak the words?"
:thumbup:

Look, maybe I didn't say every tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah..... Oh Sh1t?! :)

"Klaatu Barada NNNNNNecktie. Nectar. Nickel. Noodle. It's an "N" word, it's definitely an "N" word! Klaatu... Barada... N [clears his throat into his hand, then pauses] Okay... that's it!"

Yeah! I think I've seen that film! LOL!

Mine was actually from the original. "The Day the Earth Stood Still"

Check my avatar. I added the "Squid Hawk" :)

Back to our regularly featured program.....

220px-Day_the_Earth_Stood_Still_1951.jpg