Baseline Dyno'd 09 S2 Cal Edition

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Well after a few thousand miles another service, I went and Dyno'd the bike. The bike is totally stock. I was kind of surprised to say the least. The bike only pushed about 68 hp. I can post dyno sheet tonight.

This bike is choked... How on earth are you guys getting 93 to 98hp? Not even coming close. Now that I have done a baseline, not really sure what direction to take next. Get another Dyno test elsewhere ? Regardless, of not installing my after market exhaust. I was expecting a higher reading, for such a minimal gain an aftermarket exhaust will get you. Especially, after reading all the various results members and websites have provided.

Right now, I am sitting on my TB exhaust, Arrow downpipe and K&N air filter. I am wondering shall I quit with where I am at to pursue more hp?

I have to admit, I was a little concerned when the dyno shop, was talking of all of these alternate means of increasing horsepower to the bike compared to what has been suggested in this forum. With all due respect, based on the shop I went to. It didn't even seem they had experience with the FZ6. They didn't seem to have any entries for an FZ6. On there Dyno software. They created a new entry while I was sitting in the test room. The technician or mechanic even mentioned. I was the first one.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My suggestion: if you want lots more power, save your money and swap to a bike with a bigger motor. You can dump loads of cash into FZ6 and the gains will still be minimal. It's a great and anything-but-slow bike as is, but there's no way you're going to change it to a point of "OMG this feels twice as quick now", short of bolting on a turbo kit!

If you want performance, money would be better spent on suspension mods and perhaps just the exhaust.. which will drop 10 pounds off the bike (not to mention will sound awesome).

68 definitely sounds low though, but you shouldn't have to fix it by bolting on expensive aftermarket items. I'm hoping that the shop screwed up somehow :don'tknow:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Those are very low numbers Mate... I was pulling 68-70 bone stock on my 6R. But one thing sure... I did the test back to back with stock and my Supertrapp exhaust and I was down 2 HP at peak even with the exhaust restricted. If you don't jet or get a PCV swaping exhaust doesn't mean more ponies... Same exhaust with the PCV was getting me 74 HP.

Now I have the Marty Viper Exhaust with FZ6 cams and I'm in the high 70's low 80's HP. Need to go back for a run soon since my major airbox/velocity stack mod.

Did he put the exhaust gas probe in there? Lean? Rich? What was your fuel ratio? 13.5 seams to be the magic numbers on mine... just to give you an idea.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
You do have a fz6 and not a fz6r right? That's almost right on par for what they put down to the wheel.

Only other thing I can think of is the shops dyno is messed up, or they just don't know what they are doing

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Erci, to be honest, Not looking for gobs of power. I was prepaired to be satisfied with being in the 95 hp range.

Marthy, the shop owner said it was running a bit fat.

Chevy, it's an 09 FZ6 S2.

I will post my results tonight guys. I was actually surprised to see that the Dyno shop printout stated at the top of the dyno test sheet "Factory Pro. EC997a eddy current dynameter" I am wondering if this is dyno software made by Factory Pro. For those not familiar, Factory Pro is another locale shop and race product manufacturer.

The technician claimed the bike is really restricted, because the bike was running so hot. At one point the technician was blasting air into the radiator.

Last edited:

patrickb37

Reaction score
Visit site
Was the 68hp reading at the wheel? If so, it may be a bit low but doesn't seem unreasonable. I wouldn't get too hung up on the number - the same vehicle can show different power levels depending on dyno type (e.g. Dynojet vs Mustang). Dynos are more useful for looking at before/after gains than absolute numbers.

Does the bike feel choked when you ride it? As long as it continues to pull to 10k+ rpm it's probably fine. It's also possible it was losing some power due to timing being pulled if it was heat soaked.

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Patrickb37, that is a rearwheel reading. A few weeks back, I believe the shop claimed it was a mustang dynometer-load to the rear wheel. As opposed to Dynojet-inertia dyno. Yes, the bike does feel choked when riding it. The engine braking is harsh. The acceleration seems also fairly choked.

Good observation! About the monitoring of change in numbers as the more signifcant importance. Something just seems odd though. Based on all the material and results posted by consumers and after market manufacturer exhaust results. Yes it does pull 10k.

-scratch that thanks for the heads up, Patrick!!!! I think you just answered my question. I am going to go out on a limb with this. In light of me getting "load to the rear wheel," dyno. Most people and industry specs go with an "inertia" dyno....

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
to get a pretty good idea if something might be wrong with your bike vs their dyno, find someone in your area who also has a fz6 (dont matter what year) and see if yall can swap bikes to compare power wise. If your saying the bike sounds sluggish there might be something up, or maybe its all in your head from the dyno reading?

or take it a step further and find a dragstrip and go make a few passes to see what kind of times your getting. Ive seen times from 11.5-12.5 my best being 12.0

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok Here is the Dyno test. Give me a bit not sure how legible this scan is going to come out. After speaking with the shop today, they claimed the C0 readings were much to high, and if anything the bike is running to rich. Due to the many contributing factors, I couldn't really tell whether or not how accurate his claim was. Not sure how much mpg is.

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It really depends on the dyno and how it is set up; weather inputs, etal.

Tuned on a Factory Pro my bike hit about 83, or (+18% Factory Pro vs. DynoJet) is 98 hp.

No worries brother.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at the air/fuel ratio in the high 14:1 low 15:1 you run lean as hell! Assuming the sensor read accurately.

Air fuel ratio on pump gaz (E10) is 14.1:1 for fuel economy and around 12.5:1 for max power. Eyeball that 13.2 to 13.5 is the sweet spot... on a PCV you will be anywhere from +12-15% on fuel trim. But I might be wrong...

My guess is you have 5-8 HP hiding somewhere.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
isn't the claimed 98bhp at the crank, not the rear wheel, so i would imagine it would be less, but that does sound like a significant loss.

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
It really depends on the dyno and how it is set up; weather inputs, etal.

Tuned on a Factory Pro my bike hit about 83, or (+18% Factory Pro vs. DynoJet) is 98 hp.

No worries brother.

Interesting.
Just out of curiosity, I wonder if the Cal edition of this bike is the European Yami 78 hp version? Or it's just mere coincidence they land around the same horsepower. I would find it difficult to believe a factory restricted exhaust bike is the same as a European factory governed bike. Then again does it really matter?

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
isn't the claimed 98bhp at the crank, not the rear wheel, so i would imagine it would be less, but that does sound like a significant loss.

-Greg I believe thats where were going with this. A Mustang Dyno is rear wheel measurement as opposed to the crank/inertia dyno/Dynojet.

My bike "supposedly" is 93 hp at the crank, according to my factory certificate by vin#. I happen to get the certificate because I bought out of state and had to do the DMV(dept of motor vehicles) myself.

So the horsepower must be tuned down somewhere.... the Question is where?

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i still wouldn't expect such a big loss, i'm not familiar with the exact model, but does it have the California emissions stuff fitted to it? would this make a difference?

i have never had my bike dyno'd though

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a run with my 09 FZ6R

Marthy Viper Exhaust
PCV with PLX Map sensor and block off plates
FZ6 Cams (I-104, E-110)
Airbox mod with stock velocity stack

Peak T= 43@8600 RPM, Peak WHP 78@10200

Accordingly to the tech who did my dyno run I could be around 82-83 HP If I let the bike cold down since that was the 4 or 5th run while tuning the map. Engine temp was at 210F! And who know how hot it was in the room that was the size of a walk in closet.