Indicator Problem. Help the newbie!

trixeh

Reaction score
Visit site
Hellooo, what a lovely forum.

I bought an 09 FZ6 Fazer S2 a couple of weeks ago and I'm in love with it, it's my first bike :)

I have a problem with it though. The first is important, there's a problem with the indicators. The left indicators work fine. However the front right indicator and the right indicator arrow on the dash do not light up when indicating right. At the same time the rear right indicator flashes twice as fast. This is a temperamental issue...sometimes everything works fine! (weird right?).

I thought it could be the front right bulb has gone, so I switched it with the front left and tried to indicate right again....same problem! The bulb is fine as it works on the other side.

Any ideas on what I can do? I know nothing about bikes, this is my first :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hellooo, what a lovely forum.

I bought an 09 FZ6 Fazer S2 a couple of weeks ago and I'm in love with it, it's my first bike :)

I have a problem with it though. The first is important, there's a problem with the indicators. The left indicators work fine. However the front right indicator and the right indicator arrow on the dash do not light up when indicating right. At the same time the rear right indicator flashes twice as fast. This is a temperamental issue...sometimes everything works fine! (weird right?).

I thought it could be the front right bulb has gone, so I switched it with the front left and tried to indicate right again....same problem! The bulb is fine as it works on the other side.

Any ideas on what I can do? I know nothing about bikes, this is my first :)

Welcome to the forum and congrates on the new bike!!!

A bulb that flashes much quicker than the other usually indicates a burnt out bulb (on the same side).

IMHO, I'd replace both bulbs in the right side with NEW ones and try it... Its likely the problem. Your may a bulb not compleatly burnt out. The front bulb has offset pins being its a running/directional, two element bulb. Make sure it goes in correctly, you'll also see the offsets in the front sockets. The rear is a single element bulb...

Also, if you follow each set of wire leads (both front and back) from the directional itself, it'll lead to a connector.
Disconnect the right side connectors (I'd start with the front if the right rear rear is finctioning) and check for corrosion, clean if necessary. Make sure the wires are snug in the connector itself and didn't pull loose.

IMHO, I'd also put some dilectric grease in any/all electrical connectors (even a light coat on the base of the bulb) to prevent any corrosion (especially in a very humid/wet enviroment).

Please post your results/fix...

Last edited:

trixeh

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome and the advice.

So upon opening the rear right indicator cover, I find that there is corrosion all around the bulb, I can't actually push the bulb in to remove it.

I don't notice any corrosion on the wires though. What would you recommend I do here? Is it possible to clean the corrosion and swap the bulb still?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the best forum on the WWW!

As Scott said check your lamps.

Additionally because you mentioned that it works sometimes and the fact that the instrument light doesn't work while the right rear lamp flashes quickly, leads me to believe there may be a problem in a plug or possibly a shorted/pinched wire. Check your plugs near the front of the bike. The wire color for the right front directional is dark green. Unplug the connectors and inspect for dirt or corroded pins.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome and the advice.

So upon opening the rear right indicator cover, I find that there is corrosion all around the bulb, I can't actually push the bulb in to remove it.

I don't notice any corrosion on the wires though. What would you recommend I do here? Is it possible to clean the corrosion and swap the bulb still?

Two options:

1- Find someone who removed theirs (for aftermarket ones) and just replace
the entire unit with a new/used stocker..

2- Soak the unit with good penetrating oil and slowly/gently work the bulb
back and forth, it should come out as its NOT a super tight fit.. Once its
out you can clean the socket with a fine emory cloth until the base
moves in and out freely. You should be good to go then. The wires
should be ok. IMHO, I'd get that socket/bulb working properly before any
further trouble shooting. I suspect the dash light will work
then as the circuit is now compleated.. Note, after cleaning the corrosion away, the orginal steel, now doesn't have any coating to speak of... Definitly put some dilectric grease where you've had to sand/clean..

As stated earlier, dilectric grease would have kept that corrosion away between the bulb and socket. Get some upon re-assembly (I'd do the other sockets as well) and save future corrosion problems.

I just checked the Yamaha web site, an entire new assembly is about $35.00, US(there is a right and left side assembly which is different from each other). There is NO gasket between the lens and the amber cover.

Check closely for any cracks as that much moisture is unusual, especially in just 1 out of 4 assemblies on the same bike.. If the main black body(or lens) is cracked, I'd hunt another one as it'll keep causing problems...

Once again, please post the final fix, your halfways there!!!

Last edited:

trixeh

Reaction score
Visit site
An update for you.

Cleaned the corrosion off the rear right bulb socket (I will try and find a replacement indicator stalk to replace it completely). Tried moving bulbs around a little more. All bulbs do work just not in the front right socket - still haven't bought any new bulbs to try with a new full set.

However...when I leave the indicators/hazards on and remove the non-working front right bulb the right arrow indicator on the dash will work again. So by having a bulb plugged into the front right socket it appears to be breaking the circuit somehow. I confirmed this by using a multi-meter to test for a voltage. Without the hazard lights on you get a small voltage going through the rear right indicator. There is no voltage going through the front right indicator.

I'm still confused as I don't actually think it's the bulbs.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
An update for you.

Cleaned the corrosion off the rear right bulb socket (I will try and find a replacement indicator stalk to replace it completely). Tried moving bulbs around a little more. All bulbs do work just not in the front right socket - still haven't bought any new bulbs to try with a new full set.

However...when I leave the indicators/hazards on and remove the non-working front right bulb the right arrow indicator on the dash will work again. So by having a bulb plugged into the front right socket it appears to be breaking the circuit somehow. I confirmed this by using a multi-meter to test for a voltage. Without the hazard lights on you get a small voltage going through the rear right indicator. There is no voltage going through the front right indicator.

I'm still confused as I don't actually think it's the bulbs.

What I'm seeing is that when that right front lamp is in that circuit is dead shorting and the flasher relay is taking the brunt of the load.
Repair what ever is shorting before you continue. The socket or lamp or both is causing a short and not an open circuit. This is why the cluster indicator is not showing when you have the lamp plugged in. :)

trixeh

Reaction score
Visit site
Another update!

So spent a good hour messing about trying to find the issue. Didn't particularly change much but all of a sudden all the indicators started working again. I traced it to a dodgy connector under the front left fairing. Tapping the wires made the indicators work. After a while the front right light would stop working again. All I did was tap on those connectors a couple of times and the indicators worked again. So all I have to do now is fix those connections...

One more question though. I bought a replacement flasher relay (just in case!), I feel I may as well fit it. Again I spent ages looking for it but couldn't find it. Anyone know where it is on an 09 FZ6? Cheers.