Anyone going to Vermont 9/21?

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Annual CroMag camping trip in Silver lake State Park. Thread is on ADV rider site, link appears at the bottom of this post.

Just wondering if any fellow 6'ers were heading that way. This will be the first time I put mine in "touring" mode, and by far the longest ride I will have taken in many moons.

My group is riding from SE PA Friday morning, 350 miles or so to the state park. Saturday a.m. we're going another 150 miles over to Mt. Washington in N.H.; hopefully the weather holds up and we can ride to the peak. 150 miles back to the campsite, then somebody is hosting a big charity bbq. Up early on Sunday morning for the 350 mile haul back home.

Sounds like I should take Monday off work as well to recuperate. Let me know if anyone by chance is heading to this thing.

CroMag 2012 September 20-23, Silver Lake State Park - ADVrider

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ironic, I was planning on going for about a month, but plans just changed early today :(

If you're interested in a different route option, this one should be fantastic: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=200827512271318507428.0004c8d1c5b3f53a94022&msa=0

Route 17 is known as baby dragon.. 53 turns in 7 miles :thumbup:

Unfortunate....
Sweet route, though, thanks! Apparently our route is all planned up already, and 17 may be on it. Have to take a closer look at the .gpx file I was sent. (don't have Google Earth or any other compatible programs at work at the moment.)
If its not on our route, I will suggest a modification!

Thanks man.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Trip was Amazing! Vermont and New Hampshire have some of the best roads a bike could ask for. We did roughly 1200 miles in the three days of travel.

photo_zpsbd4b7df1.jpg

All loaded up. Gotta get a smaller sleeping bag and tent!

photo_zps8a4fe0c4.jpg

The group consisted Two V Strom's, a KTM 990, a VFR and my 6.

photo_zpsc7a44df0.jpg

We had the Taconic Parkway to ourselves for the most part.

photo_zpsa8f54dbd.jpg

Camping site at Silver Lake State Park, Vermont.

photo_zpsf0ee022a.jpg

The KTM 990....really sweet, go anywhere, do anything bike!

photo_zps9439e717.jpg

Breakfast in Barnard, Vermont. Heading to New Hampshire next.

photo_zps89b933e9.jpg

Quechee Gorge

photo_zpsdb11f6e8.jpg

Bridge to New Hampshire. Live Free or Die.

photo_zps437a8fdf.jpg

Scenic stop on the Kancamagus Highway.

photo_zps4ed98e7e.jpg

A little trouble with the law. Let us go with a warning and a promise to vote for Romney.

photo_zps6463b680.jpg

Top of Mt. Washington

photo_zps335e0637.jpg

The Summit!

photo_zpsc451195a.jpg

High above the clouds.

All in all the FZ6 performed outstanding(ly) in both touring mode and when we hit those twisty mountain roads as a sport bike. Couldn't have been happier. I have the stock seat, though, so you can imagine that was a drawback with all of those miles. I used a sheepskin cover for the long stretches from Alaska Leather which helped, but definitely not good for twisties, as you slide all over the place. Might look into a better seat for the next long trip.

Looking forward to more motorcycle-camping trips in the future. Definitely my favorite way to travel.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome!!! I SO hope to go this weekend, but current forecast is not looking too good :( I don't care if it rains, but I doubt my wife will want to go if the weather is crap.. also doubt she'll let me go solo!

Thanks for putting up the pics!

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, a few months too late :), but seeing the words "Silver Lake" brought back memories.
That was my first campout in Vt, and have covered pretty much the whole state since.