Change your own tire

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
Do a search for SCUDMAN on youtube...he's got a few on removing, putting new ones on, and balancing.

They're great videos and when I'm back at work have faster internet I'll post the videos. There's also a few good articles I found with google believe it or not...such as breaking the bead with two 2x4's and leverage. i plan to do my own from now on.

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
The BIG questions from me is how hard... honestly ...is it to do yourself with tire irons?

Every person I spoke with tells me to have someone else do it. None have actually changed a tire themselves.

Can the removal, mount and balance on our FZ rim be that hard? Anyone...?

My biggest concern is ripping the bead on a new tire.

J

jsteinb95

The BIG questions from me is how hard... honestly ...is it to do yourself with tire irons?

Every person I spoke with tells me to have someone else do it. None have actually changed a tire themselves.

Can the removal, mount and balance on our FZ rim be that hard? Anyone...?

My biggest concern is ripping the bead on a new tire.

I have not done it myself, but watching sportrider do it, it seemed to be a pain in the butt. If you have the money, have a shop do it. It can be done, if you have the patience.

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
Do a search for SCUDMAN on youtube...he's got a few on removing, putting new ones on, and balancing.

They're great videos and when I'm back at work have faster internet I'll post the videos. There's also a few good articles I found with google believe it or not...such as breaking the bead with two 2x4's and leverage. i plan to do my own from now on.

Thanks! Liked the suspension videos too. If only the vids didn't have so much noise...

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have not done it myself, but watching sportrider do it, it seemed to be a pain in the butt. If you have the money, have a shop do it. It can be done, if you have the patience.
Hi J,
It didn't seem that Danny was turning the air blue, you obviously know better lol.
In the UK alot of shops will do a free fit and balance if you get your tyres from them to.
I personally will leave it to a guy who knows what he is doing. Even if I fitted a couple of sets I would still not consider myself a pro.

Nelly

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i wouldnt do it with irons, first off how much do you like your rim? second off way too much work! have dont it and wont ever do it again. and that was with an mx tire. that front tire on our bikes has got to be a royal pain. we use a electric/air snap on tire machine works great and if you know what your doing is so fast! take more time balencing than it does to change depending on how old the tire is and how hard it has become

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Back during my highschool/college summers I worked in a trailer plant. My cheepazz boss never bought a tire machine, he just tossed me a visegrip and a sledgehammer, and I spent many a Saturday (trying to) put tires on full-size rims. I could do it, but not easily.
I thought motorcycle tires would be easier, but after reading a couple posts I'm wondering.... my tires will require changing within the next month or so... and I'm not nearly as young and muscular as I was in my trailer days... :rolleyes:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a buddy that changes my tires with the 2x4s mentioned above and some tire spoons, it isn't that hard and it is free after getting the equipment. I will be doing my own when i have a garage that i can get the setup in of my own, until then i will pay a 30 pack of beer for my tire changes...

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have the right tools its not bad at all, honestly i really dont know why ppl complain about it. The trick is making sure you lubed the tire for removing and installing and its a breeze. A regular tire iron might damage the rim but i have a good set of tire spoons and have never ever put a scratch on any rim. Plus i also uave the harbor freight tire changer ($150) for that and all my spoons and bars, it paid for itself the first use. But it can also be done easy with out it, you just need a little engineknewity-sp? Ive changed all sorts of tires from bikes to bigrigs with nothing but spoons and tire irons and just like working on anything else as long as you have the right tools it will be easy.

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The trick is making sure you lubed the tire for removing and installing and its a breeze.

SOOO TRUE!! n having the tire somewhat warm from a hot day makes the bead easier to work w/...

rim protectors do the trick if u dont want to scratch up the rim...tusk rim protectors are only $6 definitely worth it or make ur own from thick plastic bottles!:thumbup::thumbup: