r6 headers

jts6yf

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been reading about putting the r6 headers on our bike but I have a question. Supposedly the headers are one of the best designed so I would expect a little power gain from those, but would there be an even bigger gain if you coupled that with a cat delete and a slip on? Or would it just be negligible?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been reading about putting the r6 headers on our bike but I have a question. Supposedly the headers are one of the best designed so I would expect a little power gain from those, but would there be an even bigger gain if you coupled that with a cat delete and a slip on? Or would it just be negligible?
Lots of info on this:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/sear...9:h2j023-8xi0&cof=FORID:9&q=R6+header+install

From what I have learned on the forum, the exhaust mod with cat delete and slip on will give 1-2hp at best IMHO.
Neil

Last edited:

jts6yf

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! Or another way to go would be to buy a full aftermarket system thatll fit the 03-05 r6.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! Or another way to go would be to buy a full aftermarket system thatll fit the 03-05 r6.
There are a few options out there. It depends on what your willing to spend and trying to achieve. It might be worth spending the money in the handling dept. Real world riding means we rarely get to use all of the available ponies.
Which ever way you decide to go post up some pictures.

Neil

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
If you go that way would you be willing to part with your factory header system?i am thinking of a way to dump the exhaust right after the cats below the bike in front of the rear wheel just doing some mental engineering right now but you never know :thumbup:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
If you go that way would you be willing to part with your factory header system?i am thinking of a way to dump the exhaust right after the cats below the bike in front of the rear wheel just doing some mental engineering right now but you never know :thumbup:

You mean something like that? :rockon:

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org

Did you see what I did? I dumped under the bike, attaching my cherry bombs to the two cats and using turnouts to vent the exhaust down and out away from the back tire.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Jts6yf, if you are going to use the 03-06 R6 Header, be aware that the diameter of the headers where they mount to the block are larger than the fz6. I cut the ends off both sets of headers and welded the fz6 tips onto the R6 headers.

visions

THAT guy
Reaction score
Visit site
I found a set of titanium r6 headers (used) and they bolt straight on.. but I don't know the brand :( I think they are Yoshimura

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats a tease let see some pictures!!!:thumbup:

Ill get some pics up tomarrow. Dont have any recent ones with the new mirrors and flush mount signals. Havnt done anything under the tail yet. It really doest bother me all that much. I like form, but Im much more about function.

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
Im toying with the idea of pulling the head, porting and shaving a couple thous" off it and using a a thinner head gasket over winter. Im also going to figure something out w/ the velocity stacks. The bike is going to hit 120WHP one way or another.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site

jts6yf

Reaction score
Visit site
DHoback, that exhaust looks pretty clean, along with what you did to the awful space left in the undertail. how come only two of your header pipes are wrapped though...

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
Marthy's Airbox mod - Yamaha FZ6R Forums - International FZ6R / XJ6 Motorcycle Community Forum

Check out my airbox mod thread... might give you some idea on velocity stack. :rockon:

Thats exactly what Im looking at doing. They sell The 36mm x 70mm long. The length Im after and they are only $20 ea.

I only have 2 wrapped, because I ran out of time and ties. Dont know if Im keeping them wrapped though. Im not completely sold on it. May just wrap the back half. Not sure. Im also thinking of doing full fairings, so thay would be covered anyway. Like I said, Im about fuction over form.