Header Removal 09 FZ6

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I a m about to remove headers to have ceramic coated. Really couldn't find much on the topic on this forum. Other than a couple of prior experiences and what to possibly expect while in the process.

Is there any preparation I should take prior to the task???

I purchased new gaskets for putting back on the headers.
What is a good penetrating lube to utilize to bust the bolts from the studs?

I can't imagine corrosion on the nuts and studs too difficult of a task. Seeing the bike is fairly new with a season of riding and several thousand miles. Header nuts are extremely clean.

What prompted this task... Is that I picked up a new TB exhaust and will be ceramic coating Y pipe, down pipe and cans/silencers. I figured might as well do this task all at once. Still a few things to do after task. Just need to initate ceramic coating first.

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i guess just be very careful taking them off, I snapped a couple of ones on mine and luckily was able to use a stud extractor on them. Make sure the wrench fits will and isn't as an angle.

I also found with mine that the nut was seized to the bolt so it effectively became a bolt, I'd suggest replacing these if that happens.

I'd suggest putting some coppaslip (copper grease) on the bolts and nuts when re-assembling too.

It'll take a bit of brute force and shaking to get the headers off once you have undone the bolts.