On-going fuel saving study

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
Well this should be fun.

I am going to do an on going study of what will give me the best fuel mileage with my 05 FZ6.

I currently have a -1/+2 mod that some people have said will hinder my fuel mileage, while others say it will not differ. This experiment will not count my play days, but just my commute: consisting of roughly 20% city and 80% highway. Now without a speed-o-healer or the like, my speedometer and odometer is off with the gear change.

With the help of gearingcommander.com I know that stock gearing has a rpm conversion factor of 82.53 and my current gearing has a rpm conversion factor of 91.88. With every 60 miles of my odometer, I travel 53.9 miles in reality.

After a few weeks, I will go back to stock gearing and back to a 530 chain. A few weeks after that I will be going to a shorter gearing, especially if a mpg gain is noticed.

Starting out I decided to do a couple things to make sure the bike runs well. First off is a fresh oil change.

Next was a fresh battery. The one I had before was starting to become "iffy".

Topping off coolant.

I will be posting fuel data daily with weather conditions. I have heard many people consider temperature and humidity as a factor, so I will record that data to see if there is a correlation.

Just a heads up, Heavy rain and possible frozen conditions will be omitted due to me not riding in adversely dangerous conditions.

If anyone has suggestions or can think of something I missed, please let me know as soon as possible so that I can fix the data before a lot of data has to be thrown out.

Waffles