What's the point/purpose?

GeneM

Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm just wondering what the main purpose is of getting aftermarket exhausts? From what I'm reading they do not seem to increase performance at all or very little.
Ya they make the bike sound better but is that all they accomplish? I'd really love some more bottom end but I guess an exhaust alone won't do that?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For me, I like to be heard. I use the loudness of the pipes towards my advantage. Although loud pipes may not save lives, it helps you get noticed. Plus they look a heck of a lot better than the stock pipes.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They look better, they sound better, they feel better, they taste slightly better, but I can't smell a difference. :BLAA:

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm just wondering what the main purpose is of getting aftermarket exhausts? From what I'm reading they do not seem to increase performance at all or very little.
Ya they make the bike sound better but is that all they accomplish? I'd really love some more bottom end but I guess an exhaust alone won't do that?

Sounds like a stock bike is what works best for you.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They sound good (most of them), cost a butt load of money, and notify the LEO's that you're coming from a mile away..
Needless to say, I kept the stock (stealthy) exhaust on my bike although Chemiker's pipe's sound pretty sweet. :D

GeneM

Reaction score
Visit site
what a bummer, I would actually like a nice exhaust. with dirt bikes they make a significant improvement. I have a real hard time spending that kind of coin just for looks.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
what a bummer, I would actually like a nice exhaust. with dirt bikes they make a significant improvement. I have a real hard time spending that kind of coin just for looks.

I couldn't justify the expense, either.

Going to a less restrictive exhaust has the potential to allow more of the motor's work to spin the back wheel.... but that only works if you can get at the point where the restriction is greatest, and reduce it there.

With the FZ6, the intake is fairly corked up to reduce intake 'honk', the catalytic converter is relatively restrictive, and the automotive muffler under the seat is quite heavy.

Losing the cat, and going to a lighter muffler/muffler set as well as opening up the intake to allow more airflow will make the bike slightly lighter (maybe 5-10 lbs), louder, and has the potential to make it run worse than OEM.

Once you have it breathing with less restriction, you now have to make sure the fuel air mixture is correct. You may have to invest in a 'map able' ECU to get a measurable gain in HP.

When it's all said and done, a pipe system from the header back + an ECU, plus dyno time, you may gain 5-8 HP. This will be at the expense of reduced MPG, as well.

Buying all those parts brand new, it works out to well past $1,000. Add in labor, if this is beyond your comfort level....

As I have replaced the FZ6 with a Kawasaki ZX6 which has a K&N air filter and a M4 exhaust --- I can say the FZ6 is close enough in performance that I wouldn't change it from OEM if I had to do it again.

Having to wear ear plugs to ride the Ninja, and having the motor sputter and pop constantly in low RPM situations makes the bike less enjoyable than it might be. I do like the sound of it --- but I can wholeheartedly agree that I get far more attention from the LEOs than I would with an OEM exhaust.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
For me it's a bit about sound and a bit about ego. I was out riding with some other sport riders and someone made a comment about a scooter being louder than my bike (stock pipes). That was a hit to my ego. :spank: I also agree that some of the other pipes do sound nicer and that is some of my inspiration to do it. I haven't yet because of cost and it seems that dual under seat pipes are more expensive than a single side pipe. Not that I would want to change over because I like the looks of the under seat pipes.

I guess in the end it's your bike so make it the way you want it to be. If your happy with it then leave it stock, if you want to try changing something up that's cool too. :thumbup:

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
This thread is almost too silly, but I couldn't resist.

The point/purpose of ANY mod is to make the bike your own and get whatever you want out if it. Whether it's a sticker or a full exhaust, the point is to make it what you want.

Contrary to popular belief, most exhausts do give you an increase in performance. Some might complain that it's only a few horsepower, but keep in mind that if you get 5 horsepower increase in a 100 hp bike, that's a 5% increase, which is actually good for an exhaust mod.

The popping, poor idling and other issues are usually tied to doing an exhaust mod alone, without changing the fueling. Do it right and the bike will very likely run better than stock. (mine does)

If you don't see a point in doing a mod? Don't do it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good point about the fuel mixture. I love my Leo's for the looks and the sound. I did take out the cat but mine was popping too much so I added the Bazzaz unit (same as a power commander)and it's much better. I also had it dyno tuned at the same time. Leo says you don't need to do that but i would highly recommend it. Now I am sure I will be getting worse gas mileage but the bike runs sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. To each his own that's my story and I am sticking too it. :D

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For me it was a bit about safety, a bit about the HUGE weight difference between the stock anchor and the carbon Scorpions I got - and a bit about the sound.

After the 10th or so pedestrian stepped off the footpath directly in front of me, completely unaware I was there, I thought I needed to announce myself a little better.... (and surrounding cars are more aware of you, especially when blipping the throttle during down changes coming up to lights.)

I had heard the stock muffler was heavy, but it was only when I was fitting the Scorpions, I realised at dramatic weight difference.

I have always had aftermarket exhausts, partially for the reasons above, partially because it makes it MINE and partially because I LOVE the different, deeper growl the aftermarket cans give you.

Ask any V8 cage owner about why they put a split system in, and invariably they'll tell you it just sounds horn.

Now, there are limits - Harley riders take it to the extreme, where it become noise pollution, but done well, it announces you to those that might otherwise be unaware of your presence, and it sounds a LOT better.

The 5hp or so you MAY pick up is incidental.

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Great point about the weight. The stock exhaust is significantly heavier. I too would not spend that kind of money for a set of pipes but I came across a great deal for $400.

Be patient enough and you will eventually come across a good deal on some pipes too.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Some aftermarket exhaust will kick you up a few horsepower (Leo Vince Evolution 2), unfortunately some (Most compared below) will stay the same or even lose HP and Torque. Check out this article originally posted by Wavex.

I know, it's not in English, however they compare the stock exhausts to aftermarkets and give you the HP results in PS and kW and Torque in Nm. The aftermarket results are listed in Red and the stock are listed in Blue at the bottom right of each Dyno.

Originally posted by Wavex:
2547398726_5bc7c2cc73_b.jpg

2546575823_5ddabbf57f_b.jpg

2546574977_c7d8fb833a_b.jpg

Last edited:

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't read Germany, so did they simply bolted on a new exhaust and kept the stock fuel map?

You can't just allow it to breathe better without feeding it more fuel and expect it to make it more power, specially when bikes come lean from factory to comply with emissions.

Not a sermon, just a thought.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dumbest thread ever.

What's the point/purpose of a motorcycle?
What's the point/purpose of a ham sandwich?
What's the point/purpose of my preference of blue over red?
What's the point/purpose of the time of day?
etc.
etc.
etc.

Sounds like someone is upset because they can't get an aftermarket exhaust lol so they try to justify why they shouldn't get one with a silly thread. :Flash:

GeneM

Reaction score
Visit site
Dumbest thread ever.

What's the point/purpose of a motorcycle?
What's the point/purpose of a ham sandwich?
What's the point/purpose of my preference of blue over red?
What's the point/purpose of the time of day?
etc.
etc.
etc.

Sounds like someone is upset because they can't get an aftermarket exhaust lol so they try to justify why they shouldn't get one with a silly thread. :Flash:

You could not be more wrong, I am more than able to buy an exhaust as well as a power commander but if it's just for looks and sound, then I say screw it. I'd just rather ride it as it is for the next couple months then next spring most likely get a liter bike, if I feel like I need more power.
Granted I do like the sound that some of those pipes produce but I'm more a function over form kind of person, it's called being mature!! Hold on, you'll get there I'm sure!!

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You could not be more wrong, I am more than able to buy an exhaust as well as a power commander but if it's just for looks and sound, then I say screw it. I'd just rather ride it as it is for the next couple months then next spring most likely get a liter bike, if I feel like I need more power.
Granted I do like the sound that some of those pipes produce but I'm more a function over form kind of person, it's called being mature!! Hold on, you'll get there I'm sure!!

Lol keep telling yourself that big guy. Maybe in a few years you will be able to answer the question you created this thread for.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Photoman - you don't have to call people out. If this guy doesn't want an aftermarket exhaust or doesn't know he wants one yet there shouldn't be criticism in wanting to have an intelligent discussion about it.

for me, personally, I have the Leo Vince system. I spent the first 6 months of bike ownership trying to rationalize why I didn't need an aftermarket exhaust (very similar to the OP). Since I went for it I never looked back.. have been extremely happy with them. Worth every penny and glad some tool never called my threads silly