Best [non motorcycle] GPS unit for a motorcycle?

metallicat

Reaction score
www.KhandrosDesigns.com
Hi all, I finally decided I want to hardwire a USB port and install a GPS into a mount... and since I refuse to pay hundreds for a motorcycle specific GPS, I was wondering what the brain trust (ie. forum dudes/dudettes) thought?

I'd start a poll, but too many options; brightness? sensitivity to gloves? charger coming lose? etc. I prefer 4.3 inch, but if people think its too big, by all means, shout!

Thanks much in advance, let the [advise] games begin!! :BLAA:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My only experience is with Garmin's 4.3 systems.

Connection is solid and it generally works fine. Usable with gloves on too, but not in the waterproof case. In fact, case has to be opened, gloves or not, to make it work well.

Brightness is OK, as long as there's no direct sunlight shining right on it. If there is, the screen becomes nearly invisible.

So all in all not great, but I too am not willing to shell out extra $400 for moto-specific alternative.

rivettm

Reaction score
Visit site
I use my phone with Bluetooth Parrot Headset. I bought a waterproof mount/case. I bring it with me anyway so why bother with another device?

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
not sure about which GPS but I was looking at mounting my phone and as far as mounts go, that RAM x-grip mount is freaking slick! I didn't want to pay ~$50 at the time, but thought it would be the way to go.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard you need to be careful about hard-wireing because some GPS are sensitive to the amount of charge they can receive and it is likely it might get fried. I do not have personal experience with it but know someone who ended up wiring a DC plug with the factory adapter instead.

hattu345

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to have a GPS on the handlebar but I found it distracting. Now I use an iPad and a GPS app (directU) with a downloadable map that I can use offline. Of course I have to stop to check the map, but mostly that's not a problem. The iPad screen also makes route planning very easy.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I've had 3.

The first one was a Nuvi 295w and it did everything I wanted it to do. It was cheap, small, and has several extras that were nice like a camera, contact app, weather, and WiFi. It was originally called the Nuvi Phone, but when the phone part went bust they marketed it a GPS. The only problem I had with it was the screen orientation would change for no reason, probably due to vibration.

So, the next one was a Nuvi 40. This is a great GPS, but it didn't have some features I think are necessary for a motorcycle GPS, namely the ability to create custom routes. So I was going to take this one back and get another, but I ended up keeping it and putting it in my wife's car.

The one I use now is a 1350 I believe. It is a good GPS, but doesn't allow you to create custom routes on Garmins PC software and upload it to the GPS like the 295w did, but you can add custom POIs and waypoints and then just string them all together using the EcoRoute planner in the GPS. It is an extra step, but not really all that bad. I plan out the trip using BaseCamp, upload the waypoints to the GPS, write down the stops in order, and add them to the route using the GPS.

To make this GPS perfect (for what I want it to do) it would only have to allow me to upload routes created in BaseCamp, but I'm otherwise happy with it.

Oh, and yep, in direct sun the screen is pretty much unreadable on any GPS I've ever used.

Last edited:

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
After looking up information about the 1350, I found the 1390 LMT which isn't that expensive but seems to have the features I want. (lifetime maps, bluetooth) I've been looking for something but don't want to pay the 5-6 hundred for a "Motorcycle" version either.

Thanks for the info.:D

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Whichever Non-Motorcycle GPS unit you decide to get, make sure you buy the extended insurance. Your GPS will not have the luxury of operating inside a car and will be exposed to weather, dust and more vibrations. I'm on my 3rd GPS, taking advantage of the coverage. I don't tell them I had it mounted on a motorcycle, I just told them it no longer works.

My first two were Garmins, but I like my Tom TOm. Not only does it know the speed limits of the road that you are riding, but it goes bezerk when you start speeding by blinking all red. You have the option of turning that off, but it actually is a nice reminder.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just use my phone,but I have an excellent memory,so I don't have to keep looking at a map.I find anything that is not a gauge or directly relative to me controlling my bike to be a distraction,and you do not want to be distracted whilst riding your skooter,because the cagers are texting and watching movies as they commute along the same roads as YOU!! :eek: :spank:

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
If it matters, I just got home and looked at mine. It's a Nuvi 2300 w/ lifetime maps updates (no traffic). I think I paid about $130 for it at Best Buy and an extra $30 for the extended no questions asked insurance - Good call Vegasrider!!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If it matters, I just got home and looked at mine. It's a Nuvi 2300 w/ lifetime maps updates (no traffic). I think I paid about $130 for it at Best Buy and an extra $30 for the extended no questions asked insurance - Good call Vegasrider!!

I have the same unit but got it FREE for points on the credit card. I got the lifetime maps on Amazon, considerably cheaper than thru Garmin..

If you hardwire power to it from the bike, you need to reduce the 12 volts to 5 volts... "Powerlet" made the custom, 2 piece cord(about $35.00). I have it wired to the directional "running light" as I didn't want it powered up 100% of the time..

The main, black bracket is 1/8" aluminum, automotive undercoating as a finish, one bolt attaches it to the silver handlebar riser.. With the two piece wire harness, just plug or unplug the usb cord.

Last edited:

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Garmin Nuvi 1490lmt which I use in a Ram Aquabox mounted t the left side of the bars. I power it with a 3BR USB connection. I believe you need a special cable to run a Garmin off a computer USB cable as with a standard pin out it (the GOS) thinks it is connected to a computer and therefore won't let it work as a navigation device. 3BR sell a handy dandy Garmin specific weather resistant power cable.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just wanna add one thing: Garmin's non-moto-specific GPS units with bluetooth will not give you turn by turn directions via bluetooth headset. Their bluetooth only allows connection to phone and it is only for answering the phone via Nuvi.

eh89

Reaction score
Visit site
I use a garmin nuvi 1260T
it was inexpensive, but I bought mostly because I liked the small size (3.5 screen).
it also has an expansion slot for an SD card if I want to update the maps.
The traffic feature works so-so.

Christian67

Reaction score
Visit site
On The Red I used a TomTom on iPad in a watertight magnetbased mapholder. The 98 Fazer has a flat tank, where this was possible. Turn by turn over bluetooth to a Scala helm headset.

On Harry I've opted to simply use iPhone in pocket. Direction is sufficient ; if in doubt, I stop.