neutral light

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Slightly stupid question, is the neutral light supposed to come on when you clutch in?

My bike has never done this before, but yesterday after being sat outside work in the rain the neutral light would come on (at about 50% brightness) when ever i pulled the clutch in.

Something to be concerned about? Maybe something grounding that shouldn't be? Seemed to be ok today when I got it out the garage.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Someone said exactly what causes it to do it before but I can't remember for the life of me. All I can remember is that water causes it and my bike has done it for the last 35k. Once it dries out t always goes back to normal.

So if it goes away, personally I wouldn't worry about it, almost all do it. But, if it doesn't then I would find the source and clean and di-grease it.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i wonder if it's related to the time my indicators and rear lights stopped working (again after some heavy rain)

maybe water ingress in the left side pod?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't see ingress into a turn lamp as in issue. Clutch, kick stand, Kill switch, and likely the dash connector itself would all be suspect. Me, i'm not big on walking or calling tow services so I'd opted for finding it before it finds you.

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine did that when the battery was low. Give it a charge up and see what happens. Mine went away after i did that.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A good possibility is there is moisture accompanied by possible saline contamination at the plug for the start interrupt relay assembly. See attached picture. This unit (#7) has the logic for the starting of the bike predicated on neutral switch, clutch switch. It takes very little cross current to get the neutral light come on. See #7 in the pictorial. Looks like it's in the left pod. It should have like a 16 wire plug. Pull the plug and rinse the connector with water, drying with compressed air. Plug it back in.

If this doesn't cure it, the cross current may be through one if the plugs to the instrument cluster at the front of the bike. Same procedure for cleaning.
Yes, a non conducting grease can help seal out debris from re entering. :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A good possibility is there is moisture accompanied by possible saline contamination at the plug for the start interrupt relay assembly. See attached picture. This unit (#7) has the logic for the starting of the bike predicated on neutral switch, clutch switch. It takes very little cross current to get the neutral light come on. See #7 in the pictorial. Looks like it's in the left pod. It should have like a 16 wire plug. Pull the plug and rinse the connector with water, drying with compressed air. Plug it back in.

If this doesn't cure it, the cross current may be through one if the plugs to the instrument cluster at the front of the bike. Same procedure for cleaning.
Yes, a non conducting grease can help seal out debris from re entering. :)

I bet you may have hit home run on this! :thumbup:

Edit:
Add Pic from the galley. . .
picture.php

Last edited:

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
mine did it in the POURING rain before, the kill switch on the kickstand still worked tho so I left it for the next day and it hadnt done it since....I wouldnt be worried, water dries :D and corrodes.<<<ouch did i really say that??:spank:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
might take a look at it if i get a chance at the weekend

main problem is I'm not familiar with all the electrics/ECU and things are and how they interact. I can see why proper electrical problems can be so frustrating.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The neutral switch is at the rear of the engine, just ahead of the cat, (closer to the right side of the engine).

I'd check/clean that connection first (easiest) AND put some dilectric grease on the connector.

Last edited: