Help- Electrical fault on my FZ6S2

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
Had a problem with my radiator fan on my FZ6S2 - it wouldnt come on- known about it for some time :spank: but got reminded on Friday after a 'spirited' ride on a warm afternoon I got caught at some convoy controlled road works.

At 117degC the temperature light came on and the temperature display started to flash- didnt know whether to shut the engine off or wait for the convoy to come through. Got to 120 before I could move off and the temperature came straight down with diligent use of the clutch to get the air through.

Used it since and had no problems. Booked it into the local bike shop (not Yamaha) this morning and rode into town and dropped it off- no problems

Went to pick up the bike tonight and found that the mechanic hadnt been able to start the bike. He wondered if I had damaged the key dropping it through the letterbox this morning- had my spare key but that made no difference.

Engine turned over but would not fire and the temperature display says HI and flashing although it was fine when I left it.

Mechanic had phoned the local Yamaha garage who suggested holding select and reset while turning on the ignition gets you into some sort of mechanics test code- move it up to 54 and that starts the fan even if the engine is cold so you can test it.

There it is- engine is imobilised and wont start HISS red flashing light goes off with the igntion. normal washing its face and normal display apart from the temperature display saying HI and flashing.

Assuming this is not a cheary greeting any ideas what is wrong?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
At this point the computer may have stored a code because it believes the engine is or was near catastrophic failure. When an engine has no oil or cannot cool bearings/rings can seize resulting in very expensive repair or total loss. The engineers may have programmed the ECU to quit operating the bike until repaired.

When ever your bike warns you of these symptoms shut the engine off.

You may be able to disconnect the battery for a few minutes and get the computer to reset.

If all goes well....

Then find the temperature sensor that sends the signal to the ECU. Disconnect the sensor wires and test the sensor according to the service manual specifications. Do not apply voltage to this sensor or circuit! You can damage the ECU input. The ECU looks at the sensor and operates the fan relay. I would suspect the temp. sensor as a first look since you have confirmed the relay and fan operate.

Thermosensor #2 in this microfiche: Ronayers.com Microfiche Yamaha>Motorcycle>2009>FZ6RYB/FZ6RYCL/FZ6RYL/FZ6RYCB>ELECTRICAL 1

See attached: :)

Last edited:

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the helpful advice Motogiro,

Wasnt sure what to do- switch off the engine and let it cook or wait for the convoy guy to turn around and get moving and get some air through.

The temperature gauge has been correct since then and I have ridden a few times since then

Thanks again for the helpful advice. I thought there were fault codes which came up when you turn the ignition on- I guess there isnt one for that?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Doe's the fan actually spin if you give it a nudge with your finger? Engine off for obvious reasons.
It's not going to resolve your electrical issue but might help to explain the fan not running. A few members have had rocks obstructing the fan and causing malfunction.

Neil