Wiring question

redoliander

Reaction score
Visit site
So after about 4 years of not having a speedo, I finally got an OEM replacement. In the mean time I had cut the sub harness doing a naked setup. I think I have all the wires figured out except 2. It is an 05. I believe the yellow wire from the speedo gets connected to the black/yellow wire for the high beam so the light on the speedo will come on telling me it's on. There is a white/red wire on the sub harness that I have no idea about. Looks like I had cut it off something but on the plug that goes to the speedo doesn't have any wire to connect it. I'm very confused and I can't find a white/red wire in the electrical diagram.

Mudkipz137

Reaction score
Visit site
So after about 4 years of not having a speedo, I finally got an OEM replacement. In the mean time I had cut the sub harness doing a naked setup. I think I have all the wires figured out except 2. It is an 05. I believe the yellow wire from the speedo gets connected to the black/yellow wire for the high beam so the light on the speedo will come on telling me it's on. There is a white/red wire on the sub harness that I have no idea about. Looks like I had cut it off something but on the plug that goes to the speedo doesn't have any wire to connect it. I'm very confused and I can't find a white/red wire in the electrical diagram.

redoliander

If nobody else answers off the top of their head I can try and look at mine tomorrow. I do know that the black/yellow (I own a 05 as well and just took fairing off a few days ago) is for the high beam, it would make sense for their to be a wire that ties off that to the speedo for the 'high' light. As for the white/red not sure, but it's possible it wasn't wired to anything. I know that BD43's dual headlight mod relies on not all wires in the harness being fully wired (being wired from charging system but stopping at wiring harness).

I wasn't much help, but it's all I got. Motogiru (sp--still trying to get the hang of everyone here) would be the #1 guy to talk to, anything electrical he seems to just know.

Mud

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Red with a white tracer wire should be your neutral indicator light. I also believe without this signal you would have to have the bike in neutral and pull in the clutch to get the bike started. This same color code is applicable on the first and second generation FZ6. :D

Mudkipz137

Reaction score
Visit site
Red with a white tracer wire should be your neutral indicator light. I also believe without this signal you would have to have the bike in neutral and pull in the clutch to get the bike started. This same color code is applicable on the first and second generation FZ6. :D

Thank you moto. Question for you, does the high beam indicator wire tie into a wiring harness or does it splice directly into the high beam wire (yellow/black)?

Mud

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you moto. Question for you, does the high beam indicator wire tie into a wiring harness or does it splice directly into the high beam wire (yellow/black)?

Mud

Your high beam indicator LED in your cluster Yellow wire does get its signal off the Black with Yellow tracer wire.

By the way, I am a spam bot that Admin (Dennis) modified and installed on the server to answer all your wiring questions. Is there any th any thi any thing more I can he he help you with today!? :p LOL!

Last edited:

redoliander

Reaction score
Visit site
So this is the side of the plug that has the white/red wire.
48d3ad88-3ba6-0844.jpg

This is the other side of the plug that goes to the gauge. It doesn't have a white/red wire and the hole is plugged.
48d3ad88-3bc3-9938.jpg

Where does the white/red wire go?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wire color codes are very specific. In these pics you've posted I can see two different red and white/ white and red wires. The major color is red with a smaller white tracer. This is the only color code listed for the 1st and 2nd gen. FZ6 in the service literature manuals.

Last edited:

redoliander

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea. Sorry I got both plugs in the pic. It's the black plug. It's a white wire with 2 red stripes. Now I know I'm not color blind. The wire is white with two red stripes.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea. Sorry I got both plugs in the pic. It's the black plug. It's a white wire with 2 red stripes. Now I know I'm not color blind. The wire is white with two red stripes.

Yes, I see the wire you're talking about but the service manual does not list a white with red tracer wire for either generation FZ6. The service manuals do list a red with white tracer. Is the instrument panel a 1st generation round type or a second generation with analog tachometer?

That other plug in the second picture behind the black plug has a red with white tracer wire. What is that plug? That red w/white is a 12volt positive signal when the key is turned on. It goes through an LED Neutral Light) in your instrument cluster. The light green wire coming from the instrument cluster goes to another module and then to the neutral switch. When the neutral switch is closed you get the logic signal for starting and the neutral light lights up in the instrument cluster.

redoliander

Reaction score
Visit site
It's a first gen round type. Yes the white plug has the neutral wire red/white. When I got the gauge I plugged it in to make sure it worked. The bike started up. And looked like everything worked, but the turn signal indicators and the high beam indicator because the wires weren't connected. I'm putting on a new headlight so the battery is disconnected cause I'm cutting and soldering the new headlight and turn signal wires, pulled the heated grips cause really they didn't work as good as I wanted. Moved the wires from the left to right side. This one wire has me stumped!

redoliander

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok. So I figure that white/red does nothing cause there isn't a wire on the other plug for it and it's on the bike and everything works fine. Now I gotta figure out the speedo error, I have a -1 sprocket up front, and figure out a fairing for the headlight.

View attachment 44876

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok. So I figure that white/red does nothing cause there isn't a wire on the other plug for it and it's on the bike and everything works fine. Now I gotta figure out the speedo error, I have a -1 sprocket up front, and figure out a fairing for the headlight.

View attachment 44876

Speedohealer for the speedometer error.

BTW, for the BD43 headlight mod, that kit ADDs a wire to the harness that plugs into under the battery box and into the rightside bulb...