The great DIY muffler search. . .

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I found these amazing things that likely serve little purpose here. . . But then again, some people will try anything once!

Patriot Exhaust H3120 Patriot Exhaust Mufflers

Universal Mini Muffler
  • 1-1/4'' Core Diameter
  • 8'' Length
  • 1-5/8'' Case Diameter
737-H3132.jpg

$17
Ya, so that makes the inner to outer core about 0.188" thick! It might muffle a squirrel fart!

Cherry Bomb Extreme Muffler, Cherry Bomb Extreme Loud Muffler Sound
Specs you say???
  • Alert everyone nearby that a maniac is in their midst with the Cherry Bomb Extreme Muffler
  • Cherry Bomb's loudest, most peace-disturbing muffler!
  • Unique wing plate design streamlines exhaust noise in service of a deep, throaty howl
  • Aluminized steel with gray finish
  • Short body size
  • Custom tuned, non-reversible flow design
  • Available with many different inlet/outlet configurations to fit most vehicles
  • Sold individually

Disturb the Peace! The Cherry Bomb Extreme Muffler is the loudest offering in the brand's exhaust line. Its custom-tuned, short-body design is made to let out a monstrously ripping tone be heard throughout the whole neighborhood. It's the sound that has earned Cherry Bomb the right to say they've been disturbing the peace since 1968.
2289_1_lg.jpg

The stuff they make these days just made me laugh so thought I'd share. . .

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
N1 was some affordable stuff. . .

Single cans for $40 duals like this for $70 to $80.

This likely won't fit under the bike but . . .
EXM-1-MU-30810E-01.jpg

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
N1 was some affordable stuff. . .

Single cans for $40 duals like this for $70 to $80.

This likely won't fit under the bike but . . .
EXM-1-MU-30810E-01.jpg

No Comments. ?????

They charge $600 to $800 dollars for these and some hose clamps??? It's not like the each can was tuned for OUR BIKE, so it seems a tad over kill that they fitted them to a couple of bikes and marked it up 10X! Think how many they would sell if it went for 250 or $300!

rodman

Reaction score
Visit site
i rigged up an exhaust with some Jardine cans my buddy gave me. I think they sound great. The entire project cost me $28 since the cans were free..

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site
Double posting this one, sorry about that. But this is DIY for sure.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGLPMVqjzg0]FZ6 Exhaust Drilled Before & After (Short Version) - YouTube[/ame]

Wondering what your guys thoughts are on this (drilling our the baffle), is it safe for the engine?

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I saw that mod also I was going to do the same with a 12 inch long 7/8 bit but I can find one at the local hardware store, figure I'll put some grease on it and run my shop vac to the back. What could go wrong ...

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be buying a set of Scorpion CF cans soon...but was thinking of drilling the stock in the meantime just to see how it sounds. The sound of the drilled exhaust in the video above sounds pretty good actually.

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be buying a set of Scorpion CF cans soon...but was thinking of drilling the stock in the meantime just to see how it sounds. The sound of the drilled exhaust in the video above sounds pretty good actually.

That is what I was thinking. It seems there should be some consideration paid to the size of the drill bit we use, different hole, different sound. In the video above he seems to come across an over all good sound.

This is his how to:

"*HOW TO*
I used a masonry 10x300mm drill bit to make a little hole in each exhaust.
Then I used a 22x300mm drill bit to make the rest of the hole.
*ADVICE*
Trying to drill steel with a 22mm masonry piece is hard work and I actually burnt out a drill doing it. This is why it is advised to use a smaller drill bit to make a hole. Unless you have a proper metal drill bit of course."

...so it looks like a 22mm bit is in order. Still, I'll need to make sure that this isn't going to damage the valves as someone mentioned in the video posts.

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't see how drilling holes in the muffler will hurt anything, the only theoretical downside is that since the exhaust fumes exit the system faster your bike might run a little lean; hence why most people get a PC3 to go with their aftermarkets. But I would be shocked if an exhaust alone (even a full aftermarket, let alone a few smaller holes in the stock exhaust) caused the bike to run so lean to the point of damaging anything.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I really agree with therabbi and for those people worried about debris you have a cat blocking the metal shavings

Or you can remove your cans and dump out the shavings.

ive cored tons of dirt exhausts though, and never had a problem. if you can take the cores out of the exhaust you can drill/slice/cut the cores easier. also if you drill holes around the main hole, through the core you can get a deeper tone and a better flow. don't know if there's enough space on the FZ