Fuel Pump won't come on

beuwiq

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

Been having issues wit trying 2 get my bike to start. Iv tested d battery & it holds up 13volts which seems 2 b a good sign!!!
I noticed when I turn on the ignition d fuel pump doesn't hummmm so d bike won't still start. I'd like to get a heads up of possible causes b4 I call the electrician

Regards

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

Been having issues wit trying 2 get my bike to start. Iv tested d battery & it holds up 13volts which seems 2 b a good sign!!!
I noticed when I turn on the ignition d fuel pump doesn't hummmm so d bike won't still start. I'd like to get a heads up of possible causes b4 I call the electrician

Regards
One of the most common causes of fuel pump signal failure, is that the wire to the fuel pump has been pulled out of the fuel pump connector when you have had the tank up.
Is there a flashing fuel gage on the instrument cluster. Flashes 8 time then pauses for a few seconds. If so it's your most likely cause.
The connector may look like it's still connected so you need to look very closely.
Good luck
Neil

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure the run switch on the right handle bar is in the run/on position...
Or the run switch could be faulty? As it won't prime in the off positon or the circuit is bad.
A few people have had issues with faulty run switches.

Neil

beuwiq

Reaction score
Visit site
One of the most common causes of fuel pump signal failure, is that the wire to the fuel pump has been pulled out of the fuel pump connector when you have had the tank up.
Is there a flashing fuel gage on the instrument cluster. Flashes 8 time then pauses for a few seconds. If so it's your most likely cause.
The connector may look like it's still connected so you need to look very closely.
Good luck
Neil

I called an electrician. He traced the wires with a multi meter & found out it was a loose wire in 1 of d relays. So d bike is working now. Thanx

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Delighted that it is fixed. I had the same issue and it was tricky to resolve. Thanks to my forum friends it got sorted.
Neil

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

rburton59

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike has recently developed a similar problem. It's an '06 that I purchased from a guy at work. I've had it about 18 months. Fuel gauge has always flashed; said his brother had cut a wire and neglected to repair it. After a 200 mile ride with 3 stops enroute I stopped at my wife's work to say hello. Came back out after 10-15 minutes and no start. Ended up leaving it there and driving home with her. Went back the next morning and it started right up. Rode it to and from work the next three days. Came out after work and no start. That is when I noticed no sound from the fuel pump. Bummed a ride home. Next day still no start. Tried three more times over the weekend still no go. Rented a U-Haul to get it home. Fuse is good. Motor turns over fine/fast. I can hear a click in a relay behind the side panel so power is getting at least that far. Called a dealer who said it is very rare for a fuel pump to go out on a bike. Wants $635.00 for a new one. Said the first thing to check is that the battery is fully charged. If it is, bring it in for a diagnostic check. Should take no more than an hour at $75.00 per hour to trace it. Should I take that $75 bite and end the frustration? Ideas, options, advice? Thanks in advance for anything that you guys can offer.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike has recently developed a similar problem. It's an '06 that I purchased from a guy at work. I've had it about 18 months. Fuel gauge has always flashed; said his brother had cut a wire and neglected to repair it. After a 200 mile ride with 3 stops enroute I stopped at my wife's work to say hello. Came back out after 10-15 minutes and no start. Ended up leaving it there and driving home with her. Went back the next morning and it started right up. Rode it to and from work the next three days. Came out after work and no start. That is when I noticed no sound from the fuel pump. Bummed a ride home. Next day still no start. Tried three more times over the weekend still no go. Rented a U-Haul to get it home. Fuse is good. Motor turns over fine/fast. I can hear a click in a relay behind the side panel so power is getting at least that far. Called a dealer who said it is very rare for a fuel pump to go out on a bike. Wants $635.00 for a new one. Said the first thing to check is that the battery is fully charged. If it is, bring it in for a diagnostic check. Should take no more than an hour at $75.00 per hour to trace it. Should I take that $75 bite and end the frustration? Ideas, options, advice? Thanks in advance for anything that you guys can offer.

It almost sounds like you have a bad or intermittent electrical connection. If your not hearing the starter crank over the engine then you should not be suspecting the fuel pump.
One popular failure is the kill switch. Also check your side stand switch and clutch safety switch.

Since you are hearing a relay (the click) in the left panel I would suspect that is the starter interrupt relay. There are 2 relays involved in getting current to the starter. The interrupt relay and the starter relay. The starter relay is located under the tank, on top of the battery. Check the connections at this location.

If it fails again make sure you have the bike in neutral. The neutral light should be on. If this allows the bike to start. Check your side stand and clutch switches.

Also try rocking your kill switch on and off. Although your symptoms really don't sound like a kill switch failure because that usually involves the bike dieing while you're riding it.

You can take few minutes and possibly find an obvious problem and cure it first and then take it to the shop.

Maybe find a forum member in your area to team up with? :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!!!

Besides what Cliff posted, raise the fuel tank and check the electrical connections at the bottom of the fuel tank We know they've been messed with. There are two sets..

One set of wires (and plug) is for the fuel gauge (which we know he buggered up).

The other set of wires (and plug) power up the pump.

If that plug is loose or the wires slightly pulled out of the plug, it'll cause intermediate problems not powering/priming the fuel pump (which is where I'd put my $ the problem lies....)

+1 big time, on the right side handle bar kill switch. The bike won't crank over if its faulty or beginning to fail. Sometimes rocking the switch will get it to work. If its cranking over (spinning, NOT starting) disregard the kill switch for now..

The circled connector is for the fuel gauge..

Please post your fix/results..

Last edited:

rburton59

Reaction score
Visit site
A big thanks to both of you! My life is crazy right now and this is the first chance I have had to check back for responses. I might have time today to get a look under the tank. The motor does turn over fine, just no sound from the pump when I turn the ignition on. No fuel, no go. Real bummer! I will be sure to post here what I find. Thanks again!

CIrrthum10

Reaction score
Visit site
Im having the same problem on my 05... Please post how you fixed the problem. I just bought my bike yesterday and am super bummed that it wont start now

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Im having the same problem on my 05... Please post how you fixed the problem. I just bought my bike yesterday and am super bummed that it wont start now

Also see post #9 that Scott has posted. Those connections are under your fuel tank. :)