Low speed howl?

tla723

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone experienced a distinct howl noise at between 45 and 60 mph? I have an 05 with 3500 mi on it, tires are good and it's completely stock. It's not engine noise because it doesn't stop when I pull in the clutch. It's present on any surface, though I haven't had it up that fast on gravel or dirt, but I don't think it's tire noise. I would suspect aerodynamic noise, but then wouldn't every fz6 make that noise? If anyone knows, someone in here must. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

S

sportrider

ah, I'm not alone in this phenomenon!! Yes I have it also, the first time I heard it I thought it was a wheel bearing, but everything checks out O.K. I have just shy of 8000 miles on mine and I noticed it during the "break in" period.
I got used to it and don't even think about it until you brought it up. personally I wouldn't worry about it, but if you have the time to visit the dealer and they find anything let me know.

P.S. if your FZ6 is red, its just the afterburner spooling up!!!!
(proving the red ones are faster once and for all!!!)

Last edited by a moderator:

boliviasi

Reaction score
Visit site
you have an 05 with 3500 mi on it.. do you ride your bike or i'm the only one that rides the fz everyday.. i have a 06 not even a year and 10k... take your bike back to the dealer they should check it out

S

sportrider

by the way its not tire noise I've had three different brands of tires the noise is the same.

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I too get that noise on my '07 around that speed in 3rd gear but no other gear or speed. I can't put my finger on it either. The sound I get is kind of a low pitch, I don't want to say howl because it's not that bad but I can't think ant other way to discribe it. Sounds to me like it comes from the sprockets but I've double checked the chain tension and wheel alignment and every thing is up to spec. All I can say is I have the Y.E.S. and that should take care of it if it becomes a problem.........I hope.LOL

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I think aerodynamic noise may be a factor - any one with noise have a non-standard windscreen? I noticed a noise that I would describe as a howl (that I thought was tires) with the tall factory windscreen on, but it's now largely gone when I swapped to the standard one recently. Thinking it could be the windscreen itself or gaps around the rubber mirror coverings or maybe something else...

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an idea. Those of us that seem to get this sound, get the bike up to speed so it makes the noise, hold that speed and pull in the clutch. If the noise goes away it's in the drive line somewhere, if it keeps making the noise it's most likely aerodynamic. What do you think?

W

wrightme43

It could be helmholtz resonance from the open casting wheels.
Coke bottle whistle across the open casting holes. Or it could be a resonance (however the hell you spell it) from the air box or a hole in the fairing, or the the little holes in the exhaust pipe braces.
Just a thought.

I was a submarine sonarman, and we were responsible for making the boat quiet.
We would take bees wax and fill in the allen socket heads on all the bolts, any small hole that could be found that could possibley make noise.
Dont know if it will help any, but there is what I know. LOL
I dont hear it. 07 factory screen, add chin fairing, and tank bag.
Usually with earplugs inside a helmet.

tla723

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies.

Sportrider: Glad to hear I'm not the only one, though I do still wonder why some bikes howl and others don't. I too thought wheel bearing, so I'm glad to hear that's probably not it. Mine's blue, so the afterburner theory is out, but I do have the extended warranty so I'll probably schedule a visit to the dealer in the next week or so. I'll let you know what I find out.

boliviasi: Nice picture, is that you? Maybe I'll just print that out, put it in my map holder and that'll help me forget about the howl. BTW, I bought the bike used about a month ago with 2500 mi on it, so I may actually ride more than you ;-)

fz6xlr8r: It's definitely not engine, though it could still be drivetrain. Pulled in the clutch and nothing changes, but that only eliminates motor back to clutch, not tranny. I suspect I would get the same noise coasting downhill in neutral with the engine off though. That would be a wicked hill though!

wrightme43 & bcityroller: I think you're probably right. I may experiment with duct tape and see if I can locate the pocket/hole/gap that could be causing it.

Thanks again for all the feedback and I'll post my findings if and when...

C Zer

Minnesota Bound
Reaction score
Visit site
Same here, get a howl at 55 to 65 mph. Thought it was tires or exhaust or something. Seems to have just started recently with a couple of thousand miles on the bike. Thank you for bringing this up, so that I know I'm not the only one.

CMHrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Is the noise really coming from the bike? Since there only a few people experiencing the howl is it possible it could be something else like helmet noise. Just a thought...

S

sportrider

this is very unusual but after talking about this yesterday today I tried to get the noise and couldn't. I tried different speeds, gears, rpm and nothing!!!
the only thing I can think of is I had the windshield off the other day to clean the dash, and maybe I installed it correctly( maybe the dealer messed up) I don't see how its possible it only goes on one way. I'll try again tomorrow and let you know.:Sport:

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought about that too but I did what I suggested yesterday today and the noise/sound/howl is definitely coming from my drivetrain. Like I said yesterday it's not bad or harsh but I do notice it. I think I said 3rd gear yesterday but it's actually in 4th at about 48 MPH for me. It only does it for about 200 RPMs and goes away. The only thing I can figure is it's some sort of harmonic between the chain and the cogs. The chain's within spec and every thing is in alignment so I'm not going to sweat it.:Sport:

tla723

Reaction score
Visit site
I went out and stuffed rags in various places in the fairing to see if it would change anything. Aside from looking ridiculous, I didn't accomplish much. The howl was still there. Maybe I'll try a gravel road next to see if it's tire noise...I really don't like the idea of 50mph on gravel

pyroclastic

Reaction score
Visit site
Strange Noise

Although I am newbie at riding, I am thankful to have bike riding friends who have let me try a couple of helmets and much to my surprise I have heard different noises emanating from my bike, or at least I thought so. My first helmet was a viper v200 which felt cheap, but was very functional. Many co-workers expressed their concern that this helmet was not Snell rated so I switched to an HJC CS12 and found that if I rode with the face shield up that I heard a whining sound I had never heard before. I switched back to the viper with the face shield up or down and the noise disappeared. At this point I would look at your helmet if you can rule out obvious bike engine or bike structural noise. I think that the rubber seal around the face shield or the vents of the HJC CS12 I was using is causing the whine that I hear. I plan to try a couple more helmets before I decide what works best for me.

tla723

Reaction score
Visit site
At this point I would look at your helmet if you can rule out obvious bike engine or bike structural noise.

Good suggestion, and thanks for sharing. I've ridden the bike with 4 different helmets now and also without a helmet (briefly) and get the same noise. My father in law also rode it, with yet a different helmet, and heard it too. Definitely not helmet noise. Again, thanks for the suggestion!

S

sportrider

I was wrong its still there, I guess I've gotten so used to it I just don't notice anymore.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Mate, I had it once (06 model) Warm day. Tyres ok ect. Lowish speed, I thought that it was wind swirling through the fairing. It only lasted for about 15 minutes. It did freak me though as I thought there was something else to add to the list of my Fazers noises. Any new noise I hear now I just consider it to be character. My old bike goes out sh**t or shine and never complains. I think its entitled to a little grown now and again,.