Tested my boot today

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
After completing 240 miles of our 300 mile journey today I had the honor of testing the integrity of my right boot by smacking it to the pavement for an in turn adjustment when the nose pushed out (I know, motoX days are supposed to be behind me). I was going about 30mph through a sharp right turn up a hill and just past the apex of the corner the nose washed out - my foot was down before I could blink and all was well. I saw nothing to cause it except rider error being to hot on the throttle, but honestly that doesn't hold up well either as I wasn't being all that aggressive. IDK - I didn't have time for look-see for gravel and I didn't go back check but it was in low gear tho. On a 1 - 10 emotional impact to rider performance I'll give it 2 as over it within a couple of corners. . .

That's twice I've had my foot down and saved it. The gravel tested the left boot last year (compliments of the county road patch in the middle of a switchback) and now this. So far all is OK but I wish I understood this one better.

mxgolf, does NW Logie Trail Road ring a bell? I'm guessing you've ridden it before. . .

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After completing 240 miles of our 300 mile journey today I had the honor of testing the integrity of my right boot by smacking it to the pavement for an in turn adjustment when the nose pushed out (I know, motoX days are supposed to be behind me). I was going about 30mph through a sharp right turn up a hill and just past the apex of the corner the nose washed out - my foot was down before I could blink and all was well. I saw nothing to cause it except rider error being to hot on the throttle, but honestly that doesn't hold up well either as I wasn't being all that aggressive. IDK - I didn't have time for look-see for gravel and I didn't go back check but it was in low gear tho. On a 1 - 10 emotional impact to rider performance I'll give it 2 as over it within a couple of corners. . .

That's twice I've had my foot down and saved it. The gravel tested the left boot last year (compliments of the county road patch in the middle of a switchback) and now this. So far all is OK but I wish I understood this one better.

mxgolf, does NW Logie Trail Road ring a bell? I'm guessing you've ridden it before. . .
Well done on the save,
Neil

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting - I wouldn't think a boot slap would help appreciably in that situation. Is it possible that an unknown steering (or other) input righted you?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting - I wouldn't think a boot slap would help appreciably in that situation. Is it possible that an unknown steering (or other) input righted you?

I will border faintly towards uncertain; but she was listing like the Titanic for a brief moment in time and that action righted her. . . so in pilot terms - it was a touch N go!

On other occasion where both ends slide evenly, yes it trips the rider up mentally but usually all is well, (like tar snakes, gravel, oil, and those metal expansion joints on our bridges around here). They typically all result in both end moving the same amount so you do nothing (input correction wise).

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i've only done a day of motocross, but i now have the reflex to stomp on the ground if my bike feels like it's teetering over a bit during a turn

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Randy, I have never heard of that road. Who did you go riding with? It was too hot to ride much this weekend. I rode Sunday early, early in the day. Glad we ride with the gear. The only way to ride. It would be easy to smash up an ankle with out the proper footwear. ATGATT.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Randy, I have never heard of that road. Who did you go riding with? It was too hot to ride much this weekend. I rode Sunday early, early in the day. Glad we ride with the gear. The only way to ride. It would be easy to smash up an ankle with out the proper footwear. ATGATT.

A friend of mine who lives out here. We road to Astoria to eat the Wet Dog.
Click on the link and do a street view for an idea.
NW Logie Trail Rd to NW Logie Trail Rd - Google Maps It intersects NW Skyline Blvd and Hwy 30 (NW Lower Columbia River Hwy).

According to this sign I should have been SAFE!!
View attachment 44090
It reads; ROAD NOT SANDED BEYOND THIS POINT!

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Had a similar thing happen to me today. Was going around a blind curve that I ride often at my normal brisk pace of about 40 MPH. Mid turn my front end skips a beat, the bike begins to wash out, and my boot instantly grinds the pavement on the right side. Before I knew what happened I was back on my line. Happened so instinctively. I pulled over with my underpants tainted but not stained, turned around, and saw a small patch of sand about 1 square foot in the middle of the road. It could have been a lot worse if I was wearing squid wear, but ATGATT comes through again.

Boots are good, and so are Pilot Road 2's.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Had a similar thing happen to me today. Was going around a blind curve that I ride often at my normal brisk pace of about 40 MPH. Mid turn my front end skips a beat, the bike begins to wash out, and my boot instantly grinds the pavement on the right side. Before I knew what happened I was back on my line. Happened so instinctively. I pulled over with my underpants tainted but not stained, turned around, and saw a small patch of sand about 1 square foot in the middle of the road. It could have been a lot worse if I was wearing squid wear, but ATGATT comes through again.

Boots are good, and so are Pilot Road 2's.

Lets count our lucky stars that all is well. Good point about the tires BT-016 Pros, they've never skipped a beat for the exception of this, and me being heavy on the rear brake or throttle - but never the nose!