Side exhaust and GYTR shorty.

CincoBoy

Tiny Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I took off the under tail muffler :ban: and installed an 03-05 R6 header with the GYTR carbon exhaust for the 06+ R6r.

As far as performance goes, who knows and who cares! :rockon: I just like the looks of it!

I do have a leak where the slip-on meets a reducer and am very receptive to any fixes (outside of welding).

CincoBoy

Tiny Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Side view looks great:thumbup:. Whats the rear view under the seat like?

There's a reason I didn't include that picture... It's ugly!
I plan on carving out some compact foam in the shape I want for the under tail then fiber-glassing it. We'll see how that goes.

visions

THAT guy
Reaction score
Visit site
looks awesome! as far as your leak goes how big is the gap? I would cut a relief cut in one side and get a stronger pipe clamp, should be good

CincoBoy

Tiny Member
Reaction score
Visit site
looks awesome! as far as your leak goes how big is the gap? I would cut a relief cut in one side and get a stronger pipe clamp, should be good

I followed what Motogiro said. I know the Copper RTV isn't a permanent fix, but I have no problems applying it once every few months. Best of all, after letting it dry a bit, there is no longer a leak!

Eventually I'll get a different reducer, say 2 1/8" ID to 1 3/4" ID. The slip-on came with a gasket that has a dia. of 1 3/4", but the exhaust without the gasket is 2" and may be the reason for stray exhaust.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I followed what Motogiro said. I know the Copper RTV isn't a permanent fix, but I have no problems applying it once every few months. Best of all, after letting it dry a bit, there is no longer a leak!

Eventually I'll get a different reducer, say 2 1/8" ID to 1 3/4" ID. The slip-on came with a gasket that has a dia. of 1 3/4", but the exhaust without the gasket is 2" and may be the reason for stray exhaust.

This is kinda lame for a fix but with some tin snips you could cut a length of thin sheet metal and wrap the header to build up from 1-3/4 to 2". Hint if you wrap around a 1" object (socket for example) it's natural tendancy is to "unwind" so when wrapped back around a larger object it spring back easily.

So something like 7 wraps of 0.016" stock would fill the 0.250" void. Just find something that's cheap and not to thick you can't bend it.

Sound Clip please in a Drive by cruise mode and heavy wrist perhaps???

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
There's a reason I didn't include that picture... It's ugly!
I plan on carving out some compact foam in the shape I want for the under tail then fiber-glassing it. We'll see how that goes.

Haha. figured as much. I've seen a couple of side mount conversions in the past but no one had addressed the undertail. Will be very keen to see your solution :thumbup:

CincoBoy

Tiny Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha. figured as much. I've seen a couple of side mount conversions in the past but no one had addressed the undertail. Will be very keen to see your solution :thumbup:

Here's my "permanent" solution.

Also included is a prettier picture from the side with more light!

I really want to make the tail seem raised and out of the way and I think I have a solution but I would have to wait until the first snowfall to work on it (I ride as long as the ground isn't white).

And a sound clip will be available as soon as I find a decent high speed road that *isn't* 45 minutes away!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the creativeness and outside the box thinking BUT you just got rid of one of the main things that drew me to the fz6, the underseat pipes.

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
I like the creativeness and outside the box thinking BUT you just got rid of one of the main things that drew me to the fz6, the underseat pipes.
I agree with you on all points. I'll never fault someone for trying something, but I love my undertail exhaust.

However, now that you've done the shorty you should consider doing the R1 tail mod. I think that could flow pretty nicely.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Look cool but stick out a little much I think. Make sure it doesn't bottom before the pegs. Some guys did this set up on the 6R and had issues with that. You could always bring your exhaust to a muffler shop and they will expand it for a tight fit.

And please... get ride of the Pep Boy exhaust clamp! LOL

Get this one (pick the right size) Fly-N-Cycle Motorsports - Sportbike & Motorcycle Parts and Sportbike & Motorcycle Gear

You could probably cut the headers itself to tuck it in a bit more too...

Here's a pic of the exhaust I make for the 6R. (Modding the stock headers)

Last edited:

CincoBoy

Tiny Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Look cool but stick out a little much I think. Make sure it doesn't bottom before the pegs. Some guys did this set up on the 6R and had issues with that. You could always bring your exhaust to a muffler shop and they will expand it for a tight fit.

And please... get ride of the Pep Boy exhaust clamp! LOL

Get this one (pick the right size) Fly-N-Cycle Motorsports - Sportbike & Motorcycle Parts and Sportbike & Motorcycle Gear

You could probably cut the headers itself to tuck it in a bit more too...

Here's a pic of the exhaust I make for the 6R. (Modding the stock headers)

I'm not too brave when it comes to cornering.

Secondly, the more recent set of photos you would have found that I put on a band clamp (the "pep boys" clamp was temporary).

And finally, that looks awesome! Maybe I will go to a shop and see if they could fit it like that!

CincoBoy

Tiny Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Getting rid of the GYTR exhaust?!

Now that I figured out a way to mount the GYTR exhaust without a reducer it seemed only right to throw all that work away and get a new pipe!:BLAA:

I put a cherrybomb on there (used a lot of acetone to rub away the paint) and got a lap clamp bolted on.

This is only semi-permanent as I enjoy what jtarkany did with his underbike exhaust WAYYY too much! I want to do a single glasspack instead of a dual system. I just have to find a guy in SLC who can do some custom fabrication for me.

For now: