Front Turn Signals

ver4

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, new to the forum and to the FZ6. I just purchased my bike and I ran into a problem today. I went out to check if my new key worked and while I was out I decided to turn on the flashers. I noticed that my tail light will flash with the hazards, but my front signals do not. I then realized when I tried to use just the turn signal switch the hazard lights stay on and the front signals still do not illuminate. Does anyone have a possible explanation? Thank you for any input.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to this great forum! We have lots of awesome members and I'm sure you'll enjoy our big family! :D

There are a few problems that could be at play here.
Your tail light is not suppose to flash at all. Your rear directional lights should flash. You should have a tail light when you turn your key on. When you actuate the front or rear brake the same bulb in the tail light will light brighter as your brake light. The OEM tail light is a dual filament 1157 type bulb but don't replace it with a regular 1157 and get the original lamp from a dealer because it is built to withstand more vibration than a standard 1157 for cars.

On the rear left turn signal light you will have 2 wires. 1- dark green and 1- black wire.

On the rear right signal light you will have 2 wires. 1- brown and 1- black wire.

On the front left turn signal light you will have 3 wires. 1- dark green 1- blue with red tracer and 1- black wire.

On the front right turn signal light you will have 3 wires. 1- brown 1- blue with red tracer and 1- black wire.

Each front turn signals also has a running light that is power by that blue with red tracer wire. When you look at the bulbs in the front you will see 2 filaments. One is for the directional signal and on is for the running light.

Keep in mind this is for the OEM lights and wiring. If the bike has been modified it may be wired wrong.

Check your bulbs and socket to make sure they are not blown. Check your flasher located in the lower left hand area of your fairing.

Let us know if the bike has other than OEM directionals etc.
We will try to help you get it in order. :)

Last edited:

ver4

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for the response. I should have specified that it is not an OEM set up. The rear light is an LED and the front signals are normal filament bulbs. My bike has also been converted to a naked, so I do not have the fairing rather just a single headlight. Sorry, I should have included that info in the previous post.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Check to see if you have a tail light. The tail light is your running light circuit. It also uses the same fuse for power to your flasher so if you have no running/tail lights you'll have no directional signals. If the fuse is blown you'll want to find out where the short is. A good guess would be the rear LED directional wiring or the flasher. The flasher may have been relocated behind the headlamp assembly or it may have been relocated behind the frame under the gas tank.
Another suspect area that should be looked and and maybe check this first, is the license plate light if the bike has had the rear fender eliminated. Generally a new light may have been installed and is a suspect area for shorts.

Again welcome to our great forum! :)

ver4

Reaction score
Visit site
So...it happened to be an easy fix. The ground wire that runs from the turn signals to the frame became disconnected, so all I had to do was reconnect the ground. Thank you for the help. I should of just checked the wires in the first place.