New front sprocket, do I need new chain?

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
I just ordered a JT Sprockets JTF580.15 15T Steel Front Sprocket.

My question is do I need a new chain and new rear sprocket as well?

Is the stock chain a 530 or 520? I think that the sprocket I ordered is designed for the stock chain, but I'm not sure.

Any input is appreciated.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
May as well. If you're going to dig that far in may as well put it in all fresh.

Stock is a 530. All three, sprocket, counter sprocket, and chain need to match.

If you do the whole thing, may as well put on a 520.

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for the reply. I guess the big question is whether the sprocket I have coming to me is for a 530 or 520. If it's for a 530, I guess I'll have to return it and get a whole kit.

All I wanted was to go down 1 in the front, that's why I only ordered a front sprocket. What's the advantage of going to a 520 chain?

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A 520 chain is lighter and costs a little less, as do the sprockets, generally. The 530 chain will last longer if cared for properly.

The reason most people change all out at once is that if you've got a slightly worn sprocket or stretched chain, and you replace the other with a new one, either the worn sprockets will stretch the chain faster than normal, or the stretched chain will wear the sprocket teeth faster than normal. If your existing parts are VERY low mileage, this may not be a big deal, but usually you want to replace all three at once to avoid wearing out the new part faster than normal.

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
If the bike has low miles on it then just go ahead and change the front sprocket, if it is a 530 that is. BUT if your chain or sprockets have any wear on them at all change the front, rear, and chain at the same time.

If you are racing and need to loose a few ounces then by all means go with the 520, but if you want thing to last longer stay with the 530.

They actually designed it that way for a purpose. :thumbup:

Marc

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
Thought this might be interesting.
A 1 tooth change on the front = about a 3 tooth change to the rear. It is not exact but comes out close.
For example, 17/45 is a 2.647 ratio. drop 1 front tooth and it is 2.81 or if you raise the rear 3 teeth = 2.82. So it is fairly close.
remember, 1 down in front = 3 up in rear and 1 up in front = 3 down in rear.

It is a less drastic change if you swap rear sprockets usually
plus your chain will love you more for changing the rear as opposed to the front, unless you are going up in front. Reason is that the chain has to move less when going around a larger sprocket then it does going around a smaller sprocket. Less movement is less wear.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
It depends on how many miles on the chain. IMO <25k you are good. Full disclosure I have close to 22k miles on my chain and sprockets and they look very good.

One tooth down or up means you will NOT need a new chain based on length.

You went for a low buck mod. You may want to keep it at that and enjoy the extra output you get. If going from the initial $25 mod to $150 mod to include new chain and rear sprocket, that could take some of the joy out of doing this. No experience with the lighter 520 set but would consider using it when the time comes to replace everything.

I've had 15t, 16t stock and 17t. The 15t is hands down favorite but I wouldn't want it for a 2,000 mile trip because it will rev a bit higher on the highway. That's fine at 55 but flat out annoying as you approach 75mph

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the input. I decided to go with a 520 DID X-ring chain and new sprockets (-1 in the front). Can't wait for the stuff to come in the mail.