Help! How to adjust preload?

AthensGA37

Reaction score
Visit site
So I've been reading several threads on cornering and etc. Aside from tires, the next most influential thing on the bike seems to be suspension and preload adjustment. I'm by no means a race rider (never drug a knee or a feeler) but I enjoy a tight turn as far as I'm comfortable and like to do things the right/safe way. That being said, it seems the fz preload is set for a lighter guy. I am not this "lighter" guy. haha!

How would I know what my preload is set to, how do I change it, and what should I change it to?

I'm 6', 245lbs...probably a little heavier when fully geared up.

Thanks in advance! Its great having such a helpful forum for things like this...What did the bike community do 20 years ago?!

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, if you are weighing in at 245lbs you should def click up the preload adjuster a few notches from the stock setting at the 3rd notch.

In the tool kit included with the bike there is a preload adjuster wrench and an extension to make using it easier. Staring straight at the front of the bike, on the right side of the bike there is a little slot next to the rear shock where you can slip in the wrench and adjust. I would say you should go up at least 2 notches, maybe more, but someone else may have a better gauge.

I weigh 180 and am a fairly aggressive rider and so far I bumped it up one notch, but am thinking I will bump it up another very soon.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
it compresses the coil (creating more tension)

ideally you set the sag using preload, but only the rear can be changed on the fz6, it could be worth upgrading the springs on the front to something more suitable

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps this will help - although the tab that indicates the position is around the corner. I'm 185 w/out gear and have it set to 5 IIRC.
picture.php

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Another, possibly dumb, question....
what exactly is the preload doing? basically just stiffening the rear coil?

It basically sets the ride height by increasing or decreasing the amount of static load applied. Read up on setting and checking "Sag" for more details.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
You can also adjust the front preload cheaply by adding some washers under the fork caps. Or buy some preload adjusters.

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you NEED the wrench from the kit? I bought mine used, PO either didn't have or didn't give it to me with the bike. I'm at work so I can't go check where the wrench actually goes....

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
I am about your size and I dropped mine to 1. It was a jarring ride before and now it is much better. The rear also seems to hook up better on 1. It was on 3 and the back just felt really loose. And mild bumps would jar the spine.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you NEED the wrench from the kit? I bought mine used, PO either didn't have or didn't give it to me with the bike. I'm at work so I can't go check where the wrench actually goes....

No you don't have to have the wrench with the kit, you d need a small to medium size spanner wrench though.

CowtownBiomed

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a medium sized "Crescent wrench" (adjustable spanner) from Harbour freight will do...(under $10)
You can even use a meduim size flat blade screw driver..

Go up one notch at a time and then take it for a test ride..